Help with getting laser to work

JDMARKOW
Model of CNC Machine: SHARK SD100

Help with getting laser to work

Post by JDMARKOW »

I could use some help with the setup of the laser I have for my SD100. I have downloaded the add on for VCarve desktop and the PP Code from next wave. Hooked the laser up to Sd100 had a photo loaded with tool path from VCarve. What do I do next? Please help I really want to use this laser.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Help with getting laser to work

Post by gkas »

Have you watched these?

Laser Etching The VSquare
https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... quareLaser

Photo Picture Plaque
https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... laqueLaser

JDMARKOW

Post by JDMARKOW »

Yes I have seen both videos. What my laser does is not fire or run tool path. When I start the project it rises up moves slightly and hums but will not do anything else.

JDMARKOW

Post by JDMARKOW »

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Does your manual show the option to 'turn on' the laser to see if it works. Can you tell if it is installed correctly? On mine I can turn the spindle on/off to turn the laser on/off. I make a laser dimple, then a vbit dimple to check the offset of the laser to spindle.

I can't check the laser module, since I don't have it installed.

JDMARKOW

Post by JDMARKOW »

This is the laser i have T30507 Next Wave CNC Laser Module for CNC Shark. The manual just shows how to hook it up to the CNC machine. As far as I can tell everything is hooked up right. The module has a key to turn it on and off.

Auger
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave Automation HD5 Extended Bed

Post by Auger »

Were you able to correct your problem ??

Did you purchase the software (VCarve Pro) with the laser module ??
If not, have you set up the laser in your tool database (There are videos showing how).
RPM = Laser Power (Max 1000 = 100 % power). (I had to set mine in the 20% range, or 200 RPM).
Feed Rate = Varies depending on project, burn, size etc.
I set my tool up as an engraving bit, and modified the settings in the tool database.

Please note, they are currently working to resolve some of the issues with the Shark and laser both in the Vectric software as well as the post processor for the Next Wave CNC's.

Also, if your using the keypad for the Next Wave, AND you have successfully setup the tool, when you start the project, you should get a warning that this is a laser project and protective eye ware should be worn.

On a side note, Nextwave has a program called Ready2Raster. This is used to laser photos. You may want to try that and see if you laser will fire. It uses Nextwave code rather then running it through the PP in VCarve Pro. This may assist you in determining if it is a hardware or software problem.

Hope this helps a little.