kitchen drawers

Austroplatypus
Model of CNC Machine: Avid CNC

kitchen drawers

Post by Austroplatypus »

Finally got round to putting in some kitchen cabinets with drawers (only took 10 years). Because space is tight in our kitchen I didn't want any protruding handles or decoration on the drawer fronts as we would just end up loosing skin when we bumped into them. Fortunately lased decoration takes up no space. I designed the graphics in a CAD package and imported them into VCarve Pro before toolpathing them using the laser module. It took some careful alignment with the Blum slides to ensure the lased graphics aligned but it turned out well in the end. I varied the line width of different elements by lasing either on the line or both to the inside/left and outside/right of the line. I coloured some elements with powdered pigments including some colour-shift types. You can see one of the colour changes if you look at the middle cabinet /top drawer/finger hold in the first two photos. The timber is Queensland Maple.

drawers 1
drawers 1
drawers 2
drawers 2
drawers 3
drawers 3
Greg
Avid CNC spindle/laser/plasma hybrid

Jimcad
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Alpha CNC 6090 with 4th Axis

Re: kitchen drawers

Post by Jimcad »

Fantastic job of getting everything aligned.
Looks very nice.
Jim

Austroplatypus
Model of CNC Machine: Avid CNC

Post by Austroplatypus »

Jimcad wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:57 am
Fantastic job of getting everything aligned.
Looks very nice.
Jim
Thanks Jim - yes it would have looked awful if the alignment had been out. Because of that I spent a good amount of time lying on the floor with lots of clamps, spacers, measuring devices etc as I was gluing the fronts onto the drawers whilst they were in the cabinets. I know most people screw them on but where I live the seasonal variation in humidity leads to lots of movement in the local timber species and I've seen too many warped fronts to risk that.
Greg
Avid CNC spindle/laser/plasma hybrid

Jimcad
Vectric Wizard

Post by Jimcad »

I'm currently planning to make drawers for under our kitchen units when the planning dept. ( Mrs. Jim & her Sister) decide what they want.
The fronts will be reclaimed Parquet flooring. It's a pig to clean off the bitumen that was used to lay them. :wink:

RickW3DS
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: LongMill 30x30

Post by RickW3DS »

Parquet is the most nasty stuff ever.

Jimcad
Vectric Wizard

Post by Jimcad »

Yes but I've got quite a bit of it and it needs using. :wink: