3D Titanium Anodizing Project

jsheley
Model of CNC Machine: expensive_pile_of_junk

3D Titanium Anodizing Project

Post by jsheley »

Here is an idea for the folks in the Vectric forum: 3 dimensional Titanium art work. If my idea is already known, then please tell me. My motivation to write the following post is to add happiness to your life.

Titanium (and niobium?) may be anodized with a laser to generate pastel colors. See you tube link below:

The biggest value is that desired color may be placed on any arbitrary X,Y position.

Colors applied to a 2 dimensional surface= Not much different than printing(yawn).
Pastel colors applied to a 3 dimensional surface = WOW!.

You can apply pastel colors applied to a 3 dimensional surface with the following process:

Step 1) you generate a 3 dimensional relief in titanium with traditional 3-axis mill technology, See attached image “Orchid_relief”. (See “titaium_relief.png”) I have STL files for the orchid. If you want them, email me.

Step 2) Software divide relief regions to different desired color zones (See “color_zones_divisions.png” )

Step 3) Use laser settings to apply colors to different regions of relief. (see final_product.png) Note the colors in my image are extreme to highlight proof of concept.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

John
Attachments
color zone division
color zone division
final product
final product
original relief.
original relief.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Re: 3D Titanium Anodizing Project

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Pastel colors applied to a 3 dimensional surface = WOW!.
Yes, but machining titanium is not a trivial task and this process requires a fiber laser.

That's probably beyond the reach of the vast majority of the users of this forum.

jsheley
Model of CNC Machine: expensive_pile_of_junk

Re: 3D Titanium Anodizing Project

Post by jsheley »

I aplogize for being such an adlepated dingleberry!

Step 1) Traditional CNC end mill creation of desired image
Step 2) Use laser to color surface.

Also worth noting, commonly avalible sheet titaium has approximately 4% vanadium. The hardness of vanadium will quickly erode hardened steel. Even with pure titianum ou must use carbide endmills and very low feeds and speeds.

Titanium CNC is noisy beyound belief! Wear ear muffs and hide project from wife.