Simulate a laser cutting through a project

hmatyas
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3

Simulate a laser cutting through a project

Post by hmatyas »

I would like to use Aspire 11.5 to simulate cutting through a piece of wood even
though I do not current have a laser to do this. I would like to design
it in Aspire, simulate a cut to find out errors, correct any errors and then save as a different file type and
export it to other laser software.

So, I basically know how (and I have done it) to take a drawing in Aspire and export it to other laser software.
Any suggestions? Basically, my simulations work except that when I click on a cut piece it does not disappear.

Thank you.
Harvey

kyeakel
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger STV4800

Re: Simulate a laser cutting through a project

Post by kyeakel »

I make plasma cut window security grates. I use aspire 10.5 and also have a problem with some unwanted areas not disappearing when double clicked. In addition, I have (depending on window size) over a hundred cutouts to double click. It’s a pain. In order to eliminate this issue, I make 2 tool paths, 1 cuts out each area with a profile cut. The other pocket cuts the same areas. I can then see the finished product preview without having to click on any waste areas. Since I export the dxf file to my cnc plasma machine, the tool paths are only for showing errors and sending a photo to the customer.
I have also defined a end mill tool to be my kerf width that the plasma machine can cut, currently it’s 0.03”
See if it works for you,
Kipp
CAMaster Stinger 1
Shopbot PRT 9648
STV4800
Aspire
Cut2d,Cut2dLaser

Beltramidave
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FLA Saturn 4x4 / 7W & 60W lasers

Post by Beltramidave »

Are you trying to do this using the laser module? If so, I don't believe you can do it.

Otherwise, you could create an endmill the diameter of your laser dot and then use a standard profile 'on' toolpath (setting your depth of cut to material thickness) to simulate cutting through your material. You could also adjust your number of passes to '1' to speed up the simulation or set pass depth in your tool setup to allow for this.
Dave
https://lakesedgewoodcraft.com/

hmatyas
Vectric Apprentice

Post by hmatyas »

Thank you for the information. I will use the pocket cut and see what happens.

hmatyas
Vectric Apprentice

Post by hmatyas »

I was doing a silhouette. I made the material black and the pockets white. I first pocketed the interior cuts, that worked. So then
I drew a box around the entire object and pocketed the area between the two in white and it looks great. Now I can show the person
what it should look like and I can also find mistakes before I take it in to be lasered cut.

Thanks again.

Harvey