Unsmooth machine movements

Erik F
Vectric Apprentice

Unsmooth machine movements

Post by Erik F »

Hi All,
I upgraded my Avid CNC with an Optlaser 6w laser. All is installed and the laser module for Vcarve Pro seems to be working correctly. The issue I would like to correct is the way the machine moves while burning a picture. I was under the assumption that the machine would make continuous movements turning the laser on and off, then move down to the next line, then the next and so on. What I am seeing is the machine will start, stop, burn over and over again. Maybe there is no way around this since the laser needs time over a certain area depending on how dark the picture needs to be. I have seen videos online of lasers making those continuous movements, and I guess that is where I got the idea, that is how it was going to work. I feel like I have explained it horribly, but if anyone has any input I would be greatful. The laser is a ton of fun, just want to make sure I am using it most efficiently. Maybe a no-no, but would other laser software work any differently than the VCP laser plug in?
Thanks!
Erik

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Re: Unsmooth machine movements

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Erik, if you'll supply your .crv file, then troubleshooting will be easier without so many guesses.

Generally, the laser will follow the toolpaths, and the toolpaths will be cutting the vectors involved. Your file may be full of short vectors that the laser dutifully burns. Can't tell from here, though.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

Erik F
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Erik F »

When I get home tonight I will post. Thanks for your input. Generally on vector drawings everything works as expected. Its mostly when I am trying to do something like a grayscale image the machine movement is kind of choppy. I will upload tonight.

Erik F
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Erik F »

So here is the scoop...as best I can explain. The Warp9 Smoothstepper controller, has not been compatible with raster burning with laser. Through the work of Andrew at Warp9 and Jim Neeb (a Avid cnc owner) they have worked to get raster burning working. I am not a programmer so it took me a little bit, but Andrew and Jim with great help. So far its working well. I need to do a little more fine tuning but now laser images are burning with a constant back and forth motion with the laser being modulated. WAY faster...no offense...than using Vectric Laser modules G-code based image burning. Thanks!!!

Beltramidave
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FLA Saturn 4x4 / 7W & 60W lasers

Post by Beltramidave »

So here is the scoop...as best I can explain. The Warp9 Smoothstepper controller, has not been compatible with raster burning with laser. Through the work of Andrew at Warp9 and Jim Neeb (a Avid cnc owner) they have worked to get raster burning working. I am not a programmer so it took me a little bit, but Andrew and Jim with great help. So far its working well. I need to do a little more fine tuning but now laser images are burning with a constant back and forth motion with the laser being modulated. WAY faster...no offense...than using Vectric Laser modules G-code based image burning. Thanks!!!
So are you still using Vectric laser module to create your toolpaths? I have been following Jim's progress using Mach4 & ESS to accomplish this and I know of his Avid PP's. Just wasn't sure by your comment if you were using something other than Vectric products to create your toolpath. Thanks

Here is a link to Jim's video on this. There is also links to his files in the comments:
Dave
https://lakesedgewoodcraft.com/