7w laser module

mcamp001
Model of CNC Machine: Mill Right Mega V

7w laser module

Post by mcamp001 »

Please forgive the questions, I'm still new at this....
I purchased the 7W JTech laser for my Mega V and have it all hooked up. If I turn it on, it proceeds to burn my spoilboard, so I think it is hooked up correctly.
I have VCarve Prov11.x and the laser module for it. I'm confused on how to use it with the laser. I see the laser tool paths and have tried them in the drawing. I guess the first question is; Do I need UGS or openbuilds to run the tool paths? I see several references to using a laser program, so that is the first step of confusion.

Second - The laser assembly has separate power from the CNC machine, so how do they work together, or don't they? Does the alternative 'laser' program control the cnc movement?

I think by understanding these parts I may be able to figure out the rest.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Re: 7w laser module

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

I basically have the same equipment that you have except for my Shapeoko. A lot of what I tell people is what I learned from others here on this forum.

I create the design with the laser toolpaths and laser tool and laser post processor for my machine.

When you are saving a laser toolpath, you are saving gcode. So, you need some sort of gcode sender to actually operate your laser while attached to your machine. This isn't really different than using a milling bit on wood.

I use a gcode sender available from Sienci called gSender, and the forum is at https://forum.sienci.com/ with further information available.

You can acquire a "laser program" like the one called other laser software that will allow separate control of your laser.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

Airport11
Model of CNC Machine: Leads 1515

Post by Airport11 »

I also have the Jtech 7W Pro. I am trying to engrave on wood but I need to make a circle approximately 1/8th in wide around my project. How do I adjust the width of a line or circle in vcarve pro 11. I appreciate the help in advance.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Airport11 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:45 pm
I also have the Jtech 7W Pro. I am trying to engrave on wood but I need to make a circle approximately 1/8th in wide around my project. How do I adjust the width of a line or circle in vcarve pro 11. I appreciate the help in advance.
Use Offset to draw another circle in your required direction (inside or outside of existing line). Select the two circles and use Pocket Toolpath or Engrave to fill in the selected circles. Preview toolpath with Color.

Airport11
Model of CNC Machine: Leads 1515

Post by Airport11 »

Thanks for your help