LASER Fill Types

Schlumph
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Labs 30"x30" LongMill

LASER Fill Types

Post by Schlumph »

The current options for laser hatch filling can result in a significant number of small machine movements and laser on/off cycles. When choosing options for hatch and cross hatch filling, one has to be extremely careful as to select a stepover and fill strategy that is most efficient for the shape, its orientation and size. The attached pictures are examples of on object with lines that represent:

- Horizontal hatch fill
- Vertical hatch fill
- Cross hatch fill

Also attached are two additional pictures of simulated radial tool paths for a laser that results in a significantly more efficient method for accomplishing the same goal. It is suggested that this fill strategy/option would result in fewer abrupt machine movements, fewer laser on/off cycles and faster laser filling.

Because of these inefficiencies, I recently started using radial fills for my laser tool paths using the offset tool to create new vectors that effectively fill the object . The additional vectors that are created have to be managed (and edited) with the original object (a disadvantage). A more permanent and desirable method would be to have this become a new laser fill type in the Vectric software with an option to select a stepover which (suggested) could be a multiplier of the laser kerf (in the tool setup) and calculated similarly to how a regular pocket tool path is calculated. For example, if the laser kerf is 0.3mm and the factor is 100% then the stepover would be 0.3mm. If the factor is 150% then the stepover would be 0.45mm. If the factor is 200% then the the stepover would be 0.6mm, and so on.
Attachments
Horizontal Hatch
Horizontal Hatch
Vertical Hatch
Vertical Hatch
Cross Hatch
Cross Hatch
Radial Fill of the Same Object
Radial Fill of the Same Object
Text Radial Fill
Text Radial Fill

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: LASER Fill Types

Post by scotttarnor »

Very interesting! You should submit this to Vectric support.
Scott T

@scottscnc

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Schlumph wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:24 pm
.... A more permanent and desirable method would be to have this become a new laser fill type in the Vectric software with an option to select a stepover which (suggested) could be a multiplier of the laser kerf (in the tool setup) and calculated similarly to how a regular pocket tool path is calculated. For example, if the laser kerf is 0.3mm and the factor is 100% then the stepover would be 0.3mm. If the factor is 150% then the stepover would be 0.45mm. If the factor is 200% then the the stepover would be 0.6mm, and so on.
Very well said. I agree with Scott, submit it to support@vectric.com . Just copy your post, as is, into an email.

In my other post, there was an oblique reference to them working on laser toolpathing.

Now would be the time to hit them with all of your requests.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

This is less a radial fill and more of a pocket toolpath for laser.

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

I would be very happy if it'd just fill INSIDE the vector. Right now the centerline of the beam in ON the vector and the beam spot is NOT INSIDE the vector. Fill should mean INSIDE the vector
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Schlumph
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Labs 30"x30" LongMill

Post by Schlumph »

Thanks folks, details sent to the Vectric support team. :)

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

wb9tpg wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:12 pm
I would be very happy if it'd just fill INSIDE the vector. Right now the centerline of the beam in ON the vector and the beam spot is NOT INSIDE the vector. Fill should mean INSIDE the vector
I'm with you, Gary. In a different thread I posted that Vectric said that kerf width (laser beam size) is only used in photo burnings. We put in the kerf, they need to use it.

I've taken to creating offset vectors just for filling, and avoiding filling hatches as much as I can; at least for darkening an area.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

sscooter
Model of CNC Machine: CamMaster Stinger II SR44

Post by sscooter »

Schlumph;

Before Vectric came out with the Laser Module I used a custom laser post processer that worked with all of the Vectric Toolpaths. Now with the Laser Module, those toolpaths won't calculate! Vectric needs some work on the Laser Module too include more types of toolpaths. It seems right now the offset fill pattern is doable if you use the drawing tools to create the vectors with the right stepover and use the "cut on" setting in the Laser Module. A big PITA for sure!

C. Andries AKA sscooter
Aspire 11 Laser Module
SR44 w/servos, 1.7Kw Spindle, Phenolic Top, WinCnC
and a couple of kegs of my Aspire Home Brew!
C. Andries AKA sscooter
Aspire 11 Laser Module
SR44 Servos, 1.7Kw Spindle, Phenolic Top, WinCnC