Hard Crash when using Laser Module

BarryGilbert
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 2

Hard Crash when using Laser Module

Post by BarryGilbert »

Has anyone had any issues with a hard crash? I sent an email to Vectric, but wanted to check here too.
I am running Windows 11 with the latest version of Aspire 11. (I just allowed the program to check and make sure). Whenever I attempt to render any laser project to show my customer what their piece will look like, Aspire hangs up to the point that I can't use the computer. I have to press the power button and just turn it off. This only happens when I use the laser module. Everything else works perfectly.
I am only trying to export it to G-code but it helps to see it rendered first.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Hard Crash when using Laser Module

Post by Adrian »

Check your settings. When it hangs like that it's generally because it's doing a huge amount of calculations. There was a guy who had a similar issue a while ago and he had the laser kerf set to over an inch.

BarryGilbert

Post by BarryGilbert »

Will do. I have been using it and all of a sudden it began to do this. I will check and see. Thank you for your reply.

Is there anything obvious you see in these settings? The "was" set at .1 so I changed it but I am still having the same results.
Screenshot 2022-02-12 085221.png

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Can't see anything obvious there. If there's nothing confidential or copyrighted in the file you could attach it here so everything can be checked.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

From Vectric's secret vault of setting explanations (only available by request!):

Max. Power is not used for anything that I can find.

Kerf is only used for the simulations only. "0.001" will be very hard to see because there aren't enough pixels in the display. I've had mine set at 0.007 for seeing how things fit and adjust upwards sometimes for visibility.

Maximum Burn Rate is another one of those simulation only settings. It is tied to Move Speed, but the bigger number the darker the trace/kerf is on screen.

Adjust these for visibility on something simple that will simulate, and change your simulation quality to "Standard" for the test. Then you'll know what else is going on with your real part.

There's nothing wrong with your settings (other than the 0.1" you changed from.)

What are you simulating? That has a lot to do with it.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

BarryGilbert

Post by BarryGilbert »

Thanks for the replies. Here is what I am working on right now but it has been doing it no matter what it is. This one is 13.25 x 9.5 inches.
Screenshot.png

Tex_Lawrence wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:43 pm
From Vectric's secret vault of setting explanations (only available by request!):

Max. Power is not used for anything that I can find.

Kerf is only used for the simulations only. "0.001" will be very hard to see because there aren't enough pixels in the display. I've had mine set at 0.007 for seeing how things fit and adjust upwards sometimes for visibility.

Maximum Burn Rate is another one of those simulation only settings. It is tied to Move Speed, but the bigger number the darker the trace/kerf is on screen.

Adjust these for visibility on something simple that will simulate, and change your simulation quality to "Standard" for the test. Then you'll know what else is going on with your real part.

There's nothing wrong with your settings (other than the 0.1" you changed from.)

What are you simulating? That has a lot to do with it.

BarryGilbert

Post by BarryGilbert »

Yes Sir, Here is the file. (Attached) It's a fairly simple file.

Adrian wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:35 pm
Can't see anything obvious there. If there's nothing confidential or copyrighted in the file you could attach it here so everything can be checked.
Attachments
LEATHER.crv3d
(172 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Can you show a screen shot of your toolpath settings?

That file is working fine for me with the settings I would normally use but you didn't include a toolpath so I can't see what you are doing.

BarryGilbert

Post by BarryGilbert »

That’s when it’s crashing while attempting to make the tool path. When I hit calculate, it crashes the program.
Adrian wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:55 pm
Can you show a screen shot of your toolpath settings?

That file is working fine for me with the settings I would normally use but you didn't include a toolpath so I can't see what you are doing.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Ah ok, you said in the first post that it was when you went to render so I presumed it was happening when you went to do the toolpath preview.

So what settings are you using in the toolpath? When you say crash do you mean an actual crash to desktop or that the program stops responding?

BarryGilbert

Post by BarryGilbert »

Sorry. I am still learning the terminology. I’m am away from home right now but will look as soon as I get home. Where can I find those settings?
Adrian wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:59 pm
Ah ok, you said in the first post that it was when you went to render so I presumed it was happening when you went to do the toolpath preview.

So what settings are you using in the toolpath? When you say crash do you mean an actual crash to desktop or that the program stops responding?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

What you have in the laser toolpath form. The attached image shows the settings I used. My guess would be that you have a very small number in the Stepover field as that will cause a long delay due to the number of calculations needed.
Attachments
laser.jpg

BarryGilbert

Post by BarryGilbert »

I will send you the exact one once I get home but I do remember the step over is set at .02, is that a lot or too much for it?

Adrian wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:09 pm
What you have in the laser toolpath form. The attached image shows the settings I used. My guess would be that you have a very small number in the Stepover field as that will cause a long delay due to the number of calculations needed.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Should be ok as far as calculations go. I used smaller and didn't have an issue. I was experimenting with different values and anything in the thousandths will cause a long delay but hundredths is ok presuming your CPU isn't really slow.

BarryGilbert

Post by BarryGilbert »

Here is what I have in there now. What would you change to make it easier? Maybe change the stepover?
Screenshot 2022-02-12 191310.png

Adrian wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:15 pm
Should be ok as far as calculations go. I used smaller and didn't have an issue. I was experimenting with different values and anything in the thousandths will cause a long delay but hundredths is ok presuming your CPU isn't really slow.