Toggle laser on/off with low power?

Solenberg
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker

Toggle laser on/off with low power?

Post by Solenberg »

It probably goes without saying I'm brand new to the laser part of this. I want to be able to home the laser. I know how to turn it on and off using full power, but I really don't want to burn a spot in my workpiece trying to home the laser. I watched a YouTube video where a guy was toggling the laser on and off multiple times under low power just to set his x & y axis. Of course, he didn't explain how he did it. So how is this done? I'm using Vcarve Pro, the Jtech 7w laser with a Onefinity CNC.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Toggle laser on/off with low power?

Post by adze_cnc »

You could post a question re: how the guy did it in the YouTube video comments.

Solenberg
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker

Post by Solenberg »

adze_cnc wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:08 pm
You could post a question re: how the guy did it in the YouTube video comments.
I thought about that but I was really hoping to get a quick answer. My experience with YouTube comment questions is that if you get a response at all, more often than not it can take weeks. But I posted the same question on the Onefinity CNC Users Group on Facebook and almost immediately got the correct answer from Shane Peters. He said, "First off make sure your machine is not homed. Then after turning on power to the laser open your midi tab and type m3 s13 and the laser should fire at low power. If it does not fire repeat this process increasing the s# until it fires. Once your zero xy you can use m5 in the midi to turn it off. Set your z height and fire away."

Now at least the answer is here in case someone else has the same question.

For me it took m3 s55 for the laser to remain on but not burn the wood. The fact that it only works when the machine is not homed seems to be a known bug with the Onefinity software.

Steve Smeltzer
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity

Post by Steve Smeltzer »

I am also fairly new to the CNC world. I use the JTech Laser in combination with various bits to create projects. You can home the machine and then fire the laser to find your zero point on any project. To be clear, I found the answer on a different forum.

First, Home the Onefinity. Select the Tool section on your touch screen, Uncheck "dynamic power" and Save the settings.
Go back to the control page, go to midi control page, Enter m3 s05, "Laser glasses on please", press play. Once you zero your laser, press stop. Be sure to go back to the tool section, check dynamic power and save the setting.