Mach 4 crashes but laser stays on with Vcarve v11 update

topotrev
Model of CNC Machine: Avid Pro

Mach 4 crashes but laser stays on with Vcarve v11 update

Post by topotrev »

Hi guys,

I'm using my laser and cnc with Mach 4. Everything was working great with the new laser module on vcarve 10.5 but I'm having big problems with v11...

Seemingly at random points if I'm doing a hatch fill mach 4 will completely shut down, the cnc machine will stop, but the laser stays on... I didn't notice if for a minute the first time it happnened and could have easily started a fire... kinda scary...

But now it's happening every time I run a hatch fill at some point in the cut... Cutting on lines seems to be fine?

Any thoughts or anyone else experienced this yet?

I'm using the Jtech post processor.

EdwardP
Vectric Staff

Re: Mach 4 crashes but laser stays on with Vcarve v11 update

Post by EdwardP »

Hi Topo,

Yes that this does sound *very* dangerous, but it also sounds like you have an unsupported configuration and your post-processor is not from Vectric? Laser capable post-processors need to be completely correct and matched with the toolpath structure we are generating in the latest software - you should always assume that old posts simply copied across from previous versions *will not work correctly* and they must be carefully validated using the latest specification - this is especially the case for laser modified machines. Most people shouldn't need custom post-p's so I would urge most people reading this not to use older bespoke (i.e. non-Vectric non-v11) post-ps in v11 unless you are prepared to do some painstaking and methodical safety testing first.

Unfortunately Mach3/4 controllers are so highly configurable that we haven't been able to provide a reliable generic post-p for laser add-ons because individual laser wiring and configurations can be so variable. I would strongly advise that you don't run any further laser toolpaths using this post-p though. Please can drop us a line directly at support@vectric.com to see if we can offer further advice once we understand the details of your machine configuration a bit better?

Regards

E

topotrev
Model of CNC Machine: Avid Pro

Post by topotrev »

Thanks for the reply.

I agree and mostly wanted to make people using Mach 4 aware that this might occur and get it on the record... I'm going back to the testing to see if I can identify what's causing it. I just sent a message to the support team. Please anyone else running mach 4 and a laser set up chime in if you've had any issues or know of any PP's that are working correctly?

mickecarlsson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC 6040, Vectric Aspire, UCCNC

Post by mickecarlsson »

The Watchdog in the controller should have detected that Mach4 crashed and shut down the laser.
Please check your wiring at the controller end and make sure that the Watchdog is enabled.