laser rotary engraving

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

laser rotary engraving

Post by Peter Stenabaugh »

With the new laser module in Aspire, as cool as this feature is, is there any way to apply an image, most likely a dxf file, but perhaps a photo, onto a curved surface and then engrave it with the laser module? I have recently purchased a 20W laser setup (not delivered yet) but it also includes a rotary fixture for engraving on round objects like wine glasses, bottles or pepper grinders. I also have a rotary 4th axis for my cnc router and milling machine, with a 100 mm chuck on it, and a live centre to match. I was thinking that it would be really cool to be able to use the laser to engrave an image, for example a head and rack image of a deer or moose - onto the curved face of the cheek piece of a rifle. These surfaces are usually flat in one direction in line with the barrel, but curved in the vertical plane. It would take some setup, but the rotary rig I have could be configured to rotate the rifle stock (about 30 to 40 degrees rotation) to permit engraving on the curved face - but that all depends on whether or not Aspire would be able to put the laser image on such a piece of material.

Has anyone dreamed far enough outside the laser box yet to think about doing that? To be able to do that really opens up some cool possibilities.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: laser rotary engraving

Post by Adrian »

Peter Stenabaugh wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:36 am
With the new laser module in Aspire, as cool as this feature is, is there any way to apply an image, most likely a dxf file, but perhaps a photo, onto a curved surface and then engrave it with the laser module?
You can do that provided you have a model of the surface you want to etch onto. You use the "Project toolpath onto 3D model" checkbox in the toolpath.

That option exists in both Laser module toolpaths.

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Ok, that's great. I figured there must be a simple way to do that.
Thanks for the reply. I actually remember seeing that option now that
you mention it but I didnt investigate further as I havent really needed
that option before, but I'll likely do a lot more now. I'm still waiting on
delivery of the laser so it'll be a couple weeks before I get to try it.

If my efforts are successful, I'll post some photos on the forum.

Thanks again.

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Ok, so yet another question with regards to rotary laser engraving. I have recently purchased an Ortur 20W laser machine. This machine runs the GRBL software as do many other desktop machines. My question is regarding the use of the Rotary Accessory for this machine. Most users are running 'other laser software' for their cam software, and of coarse this software is fully setup to use a rotary fixture, including calibration etc.

I don't see any settings in Aspire that would permit me to do a similar task. Anything related to rotary work in Aspire is related to cnc router work which doesn't help much. I want to do some rotary engraving but I am wondering if I should consider installing the 'other laser software' software and use that in place of Aspire for laser only work. I can see the advantages of using Aspire to combine cnc router work and laser work, but for straight laser work perhaps it's wiser to use the other laser software.

Has anyone out there gotten to this level yet? I don't even have my machine assembled yet, but I'm trying to do as much homework on the operation of the machine ahead of time.

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

You would need a post processor modified to do it but I don’t think it would be hard based on the post processor stuff I’ve done. Is there documentation on the Goode they use especially if they are supporting calibration
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

I'm not sure if there is any documentation or not, but I assume there might be as 'Light burn' has been around for some time. I think though that for $40 US, it's just easiest to purchase the software and get on with life. I've upgrade my Aspire to include the Laser package, which I will use eventually but right now my cnc router is down, waiting for me to install a new controller, and also cut it in half to reduce it from 70" X travel to 36" X travel which means 80% disassembly, cut the rails and re-assemble, setup, install the new controller, configure it, calibrate it...... yada, yada, yada..... just no time at the present, so I'll have to take the easy road.