How to line up JTech to home position

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Re: How to line up JTech to home position

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Something new to me in your post processor files is the "first toolpath" and "next toolpath" and "NEW_SEGMENT". I'm going to have to do some research on segments.

What operations are being performed? Tool changes? Different toolpaths with same tool? Interesting.
wb9tpg wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:14 pm
I use 3 post processors ...
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

New segment

Without it: Under the out-of-box post processor I'd saved two toolpaths using the same tool to one file. Each toolpath had a different RPM specified. That difference did not show up in the gcode. I added the 'New Segment' to get the change the RPM. It means same tool but next toolpath.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

wb9tpg wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:23 pm
So did you get your offset calibrated?
I have been working on my offset, and figured out from the first cut what my offset measured and the second cut was within 1/32" to 1/64" close. After adjusting, my X was 2.6875 and Y was -3.8750. So, did the correction in my post and was elated to find that it cut so close to the Vbit that I figured something was wrong.

So, I moved the "target" to another quadrant of the board, re-cut the Vbit toolpath and started the laser toolpath ... and barely bumped a clamp with the laser head. Then everything was off, of course.

I complained Thursday to Jay at J-Tech about the tightness of the laser to its magnet mount, and that the 3D printing surfaces are very slick. What I did to help that was insert double stick tape between them. It held it purty good, but not good enough for a collision.

However, it did point out the futility of trying to find an offset that is a moving target because of mounting and dismounting. I'm going to try to get a fixed bracket and remove the laser (if necessary) by unscrewing it from the router bracket.

In the mean time, I'll just have to keep a zero reference around and do it the way Vectric does it.

BTW, I did mean to state the obvious: Your offset technique works great. The only misstep I made was getting the offset direction (+/-) correct. One thing I'll have to be cognizant of is that the offset could potentially drive a rail to its stops. So, I'll have to maintain about 4" clearance to make sure I don't grind some gears!

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard

Post by wb9tpg »

You've confirmed what I was worried about and why I went with the spindle mount

Keep us updated as you build a new mount
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

wb9tpg wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:09 pm

I have the spindle mount. The Axiom laser mount is very poorly designed. The top clamp was designed to have the top clamped held in place by having two VERTICAL clamp screws go BEHIND a VERTICAL spindle fin. There is at least 0.5mm between this screw and the fin. Needless to say, there is at least 3-5mm of play at the laser focal point. I complained to JTech that it was poorly designed and had unacceptable tolerances. It should not be 3D printed. Their answer was to send me three of THE SAME mount bases and to USE THE ONE THAT FIT BEST. Three of the same part, different tolerances. My answer: Line up the mount as best as I can, then I hot glued the base mount to the spindle, No wobble, and still works after 2 years.

Not the type of quality to expect from a $1,000 part.
JTech Laser Mount
JTech Laser Mount

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard

Post by wb9tpg »

Let me clarify when I say spindle mount it mounts in the collet on the spindle
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

wb9tpg wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:09 pm
gkas wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:00 am
... My answer: Line up the mount as best as I can, then I hot glued the base mount to the spindle, No wobble, and still works after 2 years.
Short of returning the laser, I think my solution will be similar but different. I'm hoping that Jay will be enthusiastic about solving this problem for me. If not, ...

I don't have room for the spindle collet mount with the parts that I make.