Laser Help

tatinc2000
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homegrown

Laser Help

Post by tatinc2000 »

he more I read the more confused I seem to get.

I ordered a 7W fromJ-Tech. I am wondering what post processor I would need? I currently use the Mach2/3 Arcs (inch) (*.txt) PP for cutting on my machine. Everything I do is in inches, not mm. I have a DIY machine which is controlled with UCCNC through a UC100. I'm currently using the hobbycnc board to control my setup. I have the latest Vectric V-Carve pro with the laser module add-on so I can do the cutting and laser within the same file. I do have a different controller I plan on upgrading to in the future which uses a c10 breakout board(http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... l-breakout). Would I be better off to wait til I upgrade controllers? Thank you.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Laser Help

Post by Adrian »

You can design in any units you like and mix them as well if you like. What is important is that whichever post processor you use should match whatever the control software you're using expects. The post processor will convert everything in your job to one set of units. Some of the hobby end DIY controllers will only work in metric so you would have to use a metric post processor with those.