VCarve Laser Software help

lwstgreen
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha

VCarve Laser Software help

Post by lwstgreen »

To whom it may concern:
I have purchased the Next Wave Laser module a couple of years back and have tested it at that time and I knew it worked.
I now am at the point to now use this Laser Module. I have hooked it up and tested it though the Piranha FX control panel, so the laser is coming on through the test.

However, the laser will not come on when I use the Vectric Software and try to laser engrave some lettering. I have save to the Piranha toolpath, the CNC Shark toolpath and the Next Wave but no results.
I have noticed in the laser tutorial that the Vectric software, there are a couple of laser icons in the toolpath operations selection but my software VCarve Desktop V10.512, does not have those icons. I have also noticed that if I downloaded the Trial Version of the same Vectric software that I already have, there is a Trial Laser option in the drop down under the Help menu. Again, my software does not have this option. I was able to use the laser before the upgrade to V10.

Sure do need your help, please.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: VCarve Laser Software help

Post by Adrian »

Have you purchased the Vectric Laser Module? It doesn't come as part of the main package.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I believe that the laser module has a trial option so that you can verify that it works with your laser setup before spending your money on it.

Auger
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave Automation HD5 Extended Bed

Post by Auger »

There are currently some problems with the Next Wave Automation CNC's and the laser module. Vectric is not offering the module for those with Next Wave Automation CNC's until they resolve some of the tool pathing issues. This however, does not mean you can not use the laser with your CNC.

Before I upgraded to Aspire software, I was using the Vcarve Pro version 10.5. I upgraded due to the ability to manipulate photos to produce 3-d carvings, as well as the laser module.

In order to use the laser in Vcarve without the module, you will need to setup an engraving tool in your database:

Your spindle speed = the power of the laser. (1000=100% laser). (NOTE : Make sure you have power off to your spindle don't want to spin it out and rip up the cable when you start your CNC).

With my 7 watt from Nextwave, I had to set my laser to 20% (200 Spindle Speed). Feed rate was about 20 inch/min. The feed rate will need to be adjusted along with your laser power level based on your system and experiences. I did a number of test burns until I was happy with the results. Varying the laser power and the feed rate, verses the font style and size.

Always remember to zero out your X,Y,and Z, Next Wave has info on their web page on doing that correctly.
The Kerf setting on the 7 watt laser is 0.01. (This is the diameter you would put in the laser tool you will be making).

Next Wave also has a ReadytoRaster program you may want to try. My luck with it wasn't the best, but others say it's good and was made expressly for Next Wave Automation lasers.

Hopefully some of this might help you in getting the laser going. If I can assist more, feel free to ask and I'll do what I can.

Have a great day !!