Stepcraft UCCNC?

badgersurfer
Model of CNC Machine: xcarve

Stepcraft UCCNC?

Post by badgersurfer »

I purchased the laser module when it first became available but have not been able to use it. I have a Stepcraft D420 with a DL445 3W laser and Vcarve Pro 10.5. I have two methods I use.
The first one is to use the standard profile toolpath on my vectors and then select a tool (which are basically end mill profiles) then create the profile and save using the Stepcraft2 Laser DL445(mm).txt post processor. This works ok albeit I have to change all my cutting depth and safe z settings to .001 every time I change from laser to a spindle profile.
I use UCCNC with their specific laser profile, load the vcarve gcode txt file and do the job.
Now this is where I have a problem. I want to use my laser to etch photographs. using the UCCNC laser profile it gives me the option to load a bitmap and etch it directly. The problem is you have to change 2 settings every time for the feeds etc. but it always finishes up with jagged edges.
I was hoping the by using the Vcarve Laser module I could create photos with smooth edges but when I use the module the Photovcarve doesn't allow laser tools and if I import and trace a bitmap to use to do it with vectors there is not laser tool that works with the Stepcraft. As in I cannot find one. I am stumped at the moment so I wonder if anyone has any ideas?

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Re: Stepcraft UCCNC?

Post by gregk »

badgersurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:02 pm
I purchased the laser module when it first became available but have not been able to use it. I have a Stepcraft D420 with a DL445 3W laser and Vcarve Pro 10.5. I have two methods I use.
The first one is to use the standard profile toolpath on my vectors and then select a tool (which are basically end mill profiles) then create the profile and save using the Stepcraft2 Laser DL445(mm).txt post processor. This works ok albeit I have to change all my cutting depth and safe z settings to .001 every time I change from laser to a spindle profile.
I use UCCNC with their specific laser profile, load the vcarve gcode txt file and do the job.
The method you've described is the pre-laser module method. It uses dummy end mills and a special post processor. With Laser Module you can define tools as laser tools and use a new dedicated toolpath - Laser Cut & Fill instead of profile toolpath.
badgersurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:02 pm
I was hoping the by using the Vcarve Laser module I could create photos with smooth edges but when I use the module the Photovcarve doesn't allow laser tools and if I import and trace a bitmap to use to do it with vectors there is not laser tool that works with the Stepcraft. As in I cannot find one. I am stumped at the moment so I wonder if anyone has any ideas?
The Photo VCarve toolpath is designed to work with V-bits. The Laser Module introduces a dedicated toolpath, called Laser Picture toolpath.
LaserToolpaths.png
You've mentioned that you were unable to use Laser Module so far, sorry to hear that. Have you contacted our support team? (support@vectric.com)

Greg K

badgersurfer

Post by badgersurfer »

Yes, I did contact them at the time and I tried the postP but it didn't work. Maybe there is an upgrade. Where can I get it from?

badgersurfer

Post by badgersurfer »

gregk wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:33 pm

The Photo VCarve toolpath is designed to work with V-bits. The Laser Module introduces a dedicated toolpath, called Laser Picture toolpath.

You've mentioned that you were unable to use Laser Module so far, sorry to hear that. Have you contacted our support team? (support@vectric.com)

Greg K
Yes I did contact support but didn't reply when I responded I seem to remember. When I look in the Laser Module Picture toolpath there is only my standard "Stepcraft UCCNC Arcs(mm)(*.txt) postp avaiable. I have tried this and it doesn't work when I import the gcode into my UCCNC Laser Profile. It works ok when I use the standard "Profile toolpath" and select the "Stepcraft2 Laser DL445(mm)(*.txt)" postp.(Which is not available when I go into the laser module) Maybe I can put the Stepcraft Laser pp in the Laser Module PostP folder but I don't know where it is...
Attachments
vc1.jpg
vc2.jpg
vc3.jpg
vc4.jpg

CRV
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: N/A

Post by CRV »

Hello Badgersurfer

Its Chris in support here. Can I ask which email address did you use to email into us? If it is the one linked to your forum account t******K******n@gmail.com then we did not get it as we only have two emails from you which were both from 2017.

Maybe you used another email to contact us?

Please can you email us again at support again and put "Stepcraft UCCNC post issue" in the subject of your email just to make sure it stands out to us and in the body of the email mentioned your posts and we will be happy to try and get you working.

If you could send us a copy of the .CRV file that you show in the images that you show here that would be a big help.

Thanks

Chris

badgersurfer

Post by badgersurfer »

Thanks Chris, I sent support an email.