Extra lines made in hatching toolpath

Auger
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave Automation HD5 Extended Bed

Re: Extra lines made in hatching toolpath

Post by Auger »

Here's another quick project I did for a friend in Alaska.
Everything on it turned out fantastic.

There are a total of 8 tool paths: (This was in case I needed to adjust the laser settings for a specific element).

All fill tool paths were 16% laser @ 60 inches/min.
Hatch Stepover = 0.0165
Hatch Angle = 45 degree

All outline tool path were 18% laser @ 20 inches/min.
Set to Cut On.

Material is Bamboo.

There was no cross hatching issues that I could see on the whole project.
Attachments
131347989_5001994003174822_5643089527175820463_o.jpg

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

Auger, That looks nice! Good job!
Scott T

@scottscnc

Auger

Post by Auger »

Since a post processor was brought up, let me show today's project.

Material - Red Oak
Outline = 20% laser @ 20 inch/min.
Hatching = 18% laser @ 20inch/min.
Stepover = 0.0155
Hatch Angle = 45 degrees

Burn Times
Outline = 9:49 minutes.
Hatching = 40:33 Minutes.

In this case, you can see by Aspires rendering, everything looks fine. However, if you look closely at "G" in Mustang on the finished burn, the tail outline and crosshatch are off. It's in this case where I believe the post processor may be the issue.

One question I have for all of you using a laser. Are you making the tool paths and then saving ALL laser tool paths into one .TAP file, or splitting them like I do?? In this case one *.TAP for the outline, and a separate .TAP for the hatching.
Attachments
Mustang.jpg
Mustang Finished.jpg

Auger

Post by Auger »

Today's' project turn our rather nice.

What I did find out was is I manipulate the cross hatch line spacing I was able to find a point where the project didn't have
any double burn, I spaced at 0.0159 and the hatch was just fine on the whole project.

Spaced at 0.0157 = Perfect.
Spaced it at 0.0158 = Double line burn.
Spaced it at 0.0159 = Perfect.
Spaced it at 0.016 = Double line burn.

Scott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha running Centroid Acorn

Post by Scott »

I have seen this as well. I haven't noticed it in the finished product, though it may have just been that it didn't over burn that spot for me.

I will have to try varying the spacing and see what happens.
Scott

Auger

Post by Auger »

Well... I just got an e-mail from support indicating my ticket on this is being closed.

Now if they would only tell me what the problem solution actually is.

This is why I'm not a fan of the support. Seems that if they ignore the problem for a few weeks, then they will just close the ticket even though NOTHING has been resolved.

This is an ACTUAL issue with the software. THIS IS NOT A HARDWARE ISSUE !!! It is seen in the rendering BEFORE we send it through the post processor. The software then puts the error into the project when run through the post processor. I am surprised more people haven't seen this.

I bought this CNC and software to use the laser.

I then made the mistake of upgrading to Aspire in hopes of better using the laser.

There is no excuse for this !!!!!

Scott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha running Centroid Acorn

Post by Scott »

From what I can see with files I've done, is that the darker lines in the preview are one raster pass lying right on top of another pass which then doubles the "Burn Rate" and displays a darker preview. The reason this may happen at varying locations, would appear to be that depending on the raster spacing, the toolpath may backtrack over itself to get to the next section or finish a section.

On the actual project, if using a lower power percentage, the double burn may not be as noticeable than if using a higher power percentage.

From what I can see, this comes down to a toolpath optimization issue that should be addressed when and if there is ever an update to the laser module.
Scott

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello Auger,

Please accept our apologies, as I mentioned in my email when we re-opened the ticket,
I am afraid that it was closed in error.
This issue is still being worked on by both ourselves and your machine tool manufacturer.

If anyone else is seeing problems of a similar nature, please contact us at Support.

Cheers,

Mark.

Auger

Post by Auger »

Scott & Mark thank you for the replies.

I have varied both feed rate and laser power settings.

The results are the same. Some projects have come out nice while others not so nice.

Adjusting the power of the laser prior to running it through the post processor only effects the darkness of the burn in preview. In the past I had to run the laser power at 100 to even see it in the preview, then adjust it to the power I wanted to do the project. The new module now renders it proper in the preview based on percentages.

What I see on the preview is actually what I get on the project after running it through the post processor. I have also seen some other anomalies in the burn process on outlines as well, but that seems to be in the post processing area as it does not show in the preview.

Mark thank you for the reply both here and via e-mail.
I totally understand what happened there. I completely accept the apology, and offer mine for coming off a bit gruff. I still offer my services as before when/if needed to test.

Auger

Notbusdrvr
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha fx

Post by Notbusdrvr »

Are there any updates regarding the picture toolpaths for the laser module?

I have been able to figure out the vector side of the issue and obtain reasonable results. Not so with the picture toolpaths.
I have been watching this thread, but have not seen any additional movement.

Thanks

Auger

Post by Auger »

The hatching issue has been resolved. Vectric reworked the laser toolpaths and now I don't see this issue any more.
It was corrected in the V11 release.

As for the picture that's a different story.
The issue is now in NWA's hands.
I am testing some firmware that eliminates the "over burn" many were experiencing.
However, trying to get a balance on quality and speed is the issue in my opinion.

My last contact with them (NWA) was 3 weeks ago. Their techs were testing. I resent an email today.

Please remember I am just a volunteer tester. I do not work for either company.

At this time, Vectric has done all they can do. They are standing by to assist further should the need arise.
I can only commend Vectric (Mark, Ed, and the rest) on the hard work I know they put into this.

I hope to hear something from NWA this week.