Extra lines made in hatching toolpath

Auger
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave Automation HD5 Extended Bed

Extra lines made in hatching toolpath

Post by Auger »

I currently have:

Next Wave Automation Shark HD5 extended bed.
Next Wave 7 watt laser.
Software - Aspire 10.512 (Build 6762.7719.1204)
Laser Module 2.0
Post Processor used - Next Wave-Laser (inch)(*.tap)

While doing some project I noticed a problem with the hatching portion of the software. After making the design, and making the tool path for the laser, I noticed that there were additional lines being produced in the hatching process.

Attached is the .jpg showing what is happening. As you can see there is an additional darker line running from the letter "S" to the top of the diamond. This is showing up on all my other projects as well. Adjusting the hatch settings (stepover, angle or even cross hatch) does not correct the problem, in fact it will move the double burn line somewhere else on the project.

At first I thought this might be a video rendering problem, but it is not. This problem is transferred to the toolpath and is burned into the final piece. Therefore it is a software issue in my opinion.

Any assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Steelers.jpg

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: Extra lines made in hatching toolpath

Post by scotttarnor »

I would send one of your files to Vectric support if it is happening to all of them.
Scott T

@scottscnc

Auger

Post by Auger »

Here is the file for the coaster you see in my original post.
Attachments
Neal Coaster.crv3d
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 153 times

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard

Post by scotttarnor »

I would send a copy here support@vectric.com, They will be able to assist you. The Vectric support team is awesome!
Scott T

@scottscnc

Auger

Post by Auger »

I have submitted to support, but figured I'd try here as MY experience with support hasn't been as good as yours.

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard

Post by scotttarnor »

The reason I suggested support is the laser module is not being used by a large number of users yet and there have been previous posts from Shark users of possible issues with the Nextwave PP see this post.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35838&hilit=Laser&start=15

Sorry your past encounters with support have not been good, That is not the norm from what I have experienced.
Scott T

@scottscnc

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

What are the results if you redo the toolpath without the "Steelers" letters?

Auger

Post by Auger »

This problem occurs with a number of projects requiring a hatch fill. I just put in the Steelers one since it was a very simple coaster project. I have seen this in other projects larger in size where I use hatching or cross hatching.

You mention post processor, but then I have a question. Is the post processor taken into account when running the tool paths prior to saving them. I figured the post processor came into play when saving the tool path to use on the CNC. Aspire software comes with 2 metric and 2 imperial laser tools in the database, I assumed the software uses 1 of these tools to make the tool path (whichever you have selected) to generate the original tool path. Then when you save the project it uses the post processor to translate it to the specific CNC model you have.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

As for removing the Steelers from the logo, I have use the original logo and had the lines occur. I have removed the name Steelers from the logo and replaced them with a font (similar to the registered font the Steelers use) and had similar results. Changing the stepover or angle only seems to change where the double line hatch will occur.

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard

Post by scotttarnor »

I believe you are correct the PP should not effect the preview, I blame it on lack of coffee :D
Scott T

@scottscnc

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

Auger wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:02 pm
I have removed the name Steelers from the logo and replaced them with a font (similar to the registered font the Steelers use) and had similar results.
All I was interested in seeing was the exact same settings for a toolpath created without the word "Steelers". i.e. how does the removal of the vectors for "Steelers" affect the "Extra lines made in hatching toolpath".

Auger

Post by Auger »

Removing "Steelers" removes the double burn in the hatch pattern.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

That kind of information would be useful to the support people.

My suspicion is that there are rounding errors happening. That's a really common issue not just with the Vectric programs. It's side effects of how floating point (decimal numbers) are stored in computers.

For example in Excel if you enter the following formula in a cell: =2.6 + 1.4 + 4.62 - 8.2 the result displays as: 0.420000000000002000 rather than the exact 0.42.

The toolpath programming is not just starting at one side of the outer circle and moving to the opposite one. It's subdividing space into areas based on the vectors that are "in the way" such as the lettering and 4-point stars, etc.

When the two areas are meeting is where this error is happening.

Auger

Post by Auger »

Another example-

This was a 5 minute job to create. Nothing special, just the letter "P" SZOrnateVintage font. (true type).

If you look between the 4 and 5 o'clock position on the curve of the letter P, the ornate section across from that has the double burn again.

I am also including the drawn tool path from the preview.

Since all my current projects are laser, I have a bit of time on my hands. Most, if not all have some form of hatching required in them.
Attachments
Letter P.jpg
Letter P toolpath.jpg

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

Humour me: what do you get if you create this toolpath selecting only the shape that has the offending "double burn".

Auger

Post by Auger »

Never a problem.
Attachments
just the shape.jpg