Laser Module Question

t3e871
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko

Laser Module Question

Post by t3e871 »

I have a Shapeoko XXL and J Tech 7W laser. I am using Vcarve Desktop for carving, other laser software for laser work, and Carbide Motion as my controller. I just bought the Vcarve laser module and wanted to know how I can set my x,y zero for laser work when there is no way to fire the laser on low power within Vcarve or Carbide Motion. I've also looked at a few other CNC controllers and have not found one with a laser fire feature like other laser software has. Without this function, I can't reliably set x,y zero and therefore can't use the laser module in Vcarve with any confidence. I also downloaded and installed the JTech post-processor - but that does nothing to solve my problem. How are people able to reliably set x,y zero with the laser mounted off of the front right of the router/spindle without being able to see the laser beam. I CAN manually turn on the laser from my laser control board, but that is at 100% power and burns the project - which I guess is a solution, as long as the x,y zero is not on the finished part of the work. Any advice is appreciated.

Scott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha running Centroid Acorn

Re: Laser Module Question

Post by Scott »

How do you line up your router/spindle? You could figure out the offset between the router and laser and then do whatever your controller allows for setting that offset as your new working coordinates (WCS). Set your XY zero, burn a spot, put a v-bit in the collet, move the v-bit to the burn spot, record the offset. Use those values to make a macro that can be used to set the coordinates in the future. I don't have any of the products you have, but there should be a number of ways it can be done. Possibly a file that fires the laser at a low level and then pauses so you can manually move to the desired coordinates.
Scott

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

I do this on a Shapeoko with a Jtech laser using CNCjs all the time. I also had customized a post processor I use for Laser toolpaths that automatically sets a temporary WCS with the value of the offset. I never need to reset Zero as the post processor knows to do it. You need to replace Carbide Motion with CNCjs to make it all work though.

If vectric would make a small change to their post processor I could do it all in one PP but not today
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

t3e871

Post by t3e871 »

Scott wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:55 pm
How do you line up your router/spindle? You could figure out the offset between the router and laser and then do whatever your controller allows for setting that offset as your new working coordinates (WCS). Set your XY zero, burn a spot, put a v-bit in the collet, move the v-bit to the burn spot, record the offset. Use those values to make a macro that can be used to set the coordinates in the future. I don't have any of the products you have, but there should be a number of ways it can be done. Possibly a file that fires the laser at a low level and then pauses so you can manually move to the desired coordinates.
That sounds good, but I have no idea how to make a macro or write code, or even do g-code commands...I'm more mechanically inclined but will see what I can figure out. Thanks for the tip.

t3e871

Post by t3e871 »

wb9tpg wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:17 pm
I do this on a Shapeoko with a Jtech laser using CNCjs all the time. I also had customized a post processor I use for Laser toolpaths that automatically sets a temporary WCS with the value of the offset. I never need to reset Zero as the post processor knows to do it. You need to replace Carbide Motion with CNCjs to make it all work though.

If vectric would make a small change to their post processor I could do it all in one PP but not today
I just looked at CNCjs website and that looks to be above my skill/knowledge level. I'll try it, but they lost me on the very first step:
Getting Started
Node.js Installation
Node.js 4 or higher is recommended. You can install Node Version Manager to manage multiple Node.js versions. If you have git installed, just clone the nvm repo, and check out the latest version:
I am a guy who can download and install windows software, but after spending a few minutes on this CNCjs website I can't really tell how to download this program, regardless of my lack of skill, thanks for the tip.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Scott wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:55 pm
This is the way I align my laser. My alignment is '+80Y mm' from normal spindle to laser. I change from spindle to laser with a toggle switch (switches power), then move my spindle +80Y to position for laser, reset XY=0.

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

Try the desktop edition which is supposed to be easy to install

https://cnc.js.org/docs/desktop-app/

I've not tried that edition as I use the other one
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA