Laser/software question.

Nlalston
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Iconic 8 CNC

Laser/software question.

Post by Nlalston »

Hello everyone.

I'm a newbie to be, here, with a question. In the next few weeks I should be receiving my CNC (Axiom Iconic 8), with the optional 2.8w laser module. Does the latest version of VCarve Pro feature all of what's needed for the functioning of said laser? I've come across a few posts where users were using the 'other laser software' software for their laser works. Would that be a necessity for me, or is it that their need for running an additional program is due to their having a bit older version of VCarve? Please inform.

Advanced thanks,
Nathan
Blessings,
Nathan

Vectric Aspire 11
Axiom Iconic 8
Onefinity X50
Jtech 2.8w & 7w lasers

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Laser/software question.

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Nathan,

Here is a link that should be helpful regarding the optional software Laser Module and a list of supported CNC laser add-ons:

https://www.vectric.com/products/laser-module

Here is a link to the specifications and Post Processors for the Axiom Laser by JTec:

https://www.axiomprecision.com/jtech-2- ... r-kit.html
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

The Axiom, add-on laser DOES NOT provide variable power to the laser. It is either on or off. They call it an "etching laser". There is a manual switch to direct power to either the laser or the spindle. The B18 controller also needs some manual changes. The only way to control the density of the burn is by changing the spindle feed rate. From the Axiom Iconic laser module page "The laser unit does not allow for software variability of output intensity. Therefore greyscale is not supported."

All that being said, there is a LOT you can do with the laser. This is a cover my son wanted for his granite surface plate. I couldn't leave it plain 8) 8) 8) , so I etched his logo into it. That's an 18"x24" plate.
Surface Plate Cover
Surface Plate Cover
I also use it to sign certain pieces, cut precision felt linings for boxes, etch game tiles, etc. It is handy.

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

You could use the 'Dither Image' option which produces the image with just on/off of the laser after applying the Dithering effect to the image to convert it to binary.

https://docs.vectric.com/docs/V10.5/VCa ... index.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

Nlalston

Post by Nlalston »

gkas wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:40 am
there is a LOT you can do with the laser. This is a cover my son wanted for his granite surface plate. I couldn't leave it plain 8) 8) 8) , so I etched his logo into it. That's an 18"x24" plate.

Flate Plate Cover.jpg

I also use it to sign certain pieces, cut precision felt linings for boxes, etch game tiles, etc. It is handy.
Now, THAT is REALLY NICE.

What you have expressed about YOUR usages of the laser are the exact descriptions of what MINE will be. My Axiom Iconic 8 will be delivered on Monday, but my laser unit will be a bit later, as it was ordered after the initial machine order was placed. By the way, what was the burn time for that nice project you did?
Blessings,
Nathan

Vectric Aspire 11
Axiom Iconic 8
Onefinity X50
Jtech 2.8w & 7w lasers

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

I used a Axiom 4.2W Laser, defined as a mill with Quick Engrave. Notice, the etch is lightly burned, not smoking the wood. I ALWAYS run test samples. It varies quite a bit based on the density of the wood.

Quick Engrave ToolPath
Quick Engrave ToolPath
Definition for the laser
Definition for the laser

Nlalston

Post by Nlalston »

gkas wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:43 pm
I used a Axiom 4.2W Laser, defined as a mill with Quick Engrave. Notice, the etch is lightly burned, not smoking the wood. I ALWAYS run test samples. It varies quite a bit based on the density of the wood.

QE Laser.jpg

Laser Def.jpg
Oh, ok. Well, I know not to expect the same quality - seeing as you have the 4.2w laser, and mine will be the 2.8w. But, I should still be ok, as I am not really expecting to do anything beyond some engravings. Thank you.
Blessings,
Nathan

Vectric Aspire 11
Axiom Iconic 8
Onefinity X50
Jtech 2.8w & 7w lasers

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

You should get the same quality, just lower the feed rate.

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

The 2.8w has a smaller beam diameter so you should get great detail at a slower rate.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Nlalston

Post by Nlalston »

Thanks, everyone.

The response given, by all, is truly appreciated.

One other thing: I have been trying to find out what the 'Breathing Room' requirements are, for the 2.8w laser. I have made reference to how long the laser can be fired up, before it needs to rest for a while. My only experience with lasering was with a (sub $100) NEJE standalone laser device. The module on that thing burned out in a very short period of time, and I didn't feel comfortable dropping any more money into it. But (if memory serves me correct), there was recommendation that the laser be put to task for no more than a half hour at a time. Does anyone know what the 'firing time' would be, for the J-TECH 2.8w unit?
Blessings,
Nathan

Vectric Aspire 11
Axiom Iconic 8
Onefinity X50
Jtech 2.8w & 7w lasers

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

That would be a question for Axiom or Jtech.

Nlalston

Post by Nlalston »

gkas wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:05 am
That would be a question for Axiom or Jtech.
Yes, will do.
Blessings,
Nathan

Vectric Aspire 11
Axiom Iconic 8
Onefinity X50
Jtech 2.8w & 7w lasers