laser module with Piranha FX

evowoodworking
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha fx 110

laser module with Piranha FX

Post by evowoodworking »

I'm a newbie, I'm just starting. I can't seem to figure out the laser module with the picture feature. I was able to do letters, however when I try to import a picture. I always get a black image after runnign the toolpath. I keep getting this error message when I'm trying to crop the image. " You must select a picture and at least one vector to trim with. Trimming vector must be close". I'm at lost I watched the video on youtube with the baby picture I have followed every step but keep getting this error message. What am I missing?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: laser module with Piranha FX

Post by Adrian »

When you crop a picture you need two things. The first is the picture and the second is the shape that you want to crop the picture to which must be a closed shape. You can use a circle, rectangle, polygon, star etc etc. Whatever shape you want but it must be closed vector. You can't crop to just a line for instance.

Once you have your closed vector shape select it and the picture together (Press Ctrl-A to select everything or left click while holding down the shift key on each in turn) and then click the Crop tool icon. All parts of the picture outside of the shape will then be removed.

evowoodworking

Post by evowoodworking »

I have tried that already, I have the picture in, I can draw a circle using the crop option around it like you said but it won't take it. It's a jpg file, I even tried without cropping just the picture in and run the toolpath but again, I get a black image or just line, I tried to edit the picture in every possible way, nothing gives me the actual picture result. I even tried a different picture. There must something I'm missing.

evowoodworking

Post by evowoodworking »

one more thing it feels like it doesn't recognize that I have a picture in based on the error it's giving me. It says I need a picture but I already have a picture.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Can you attach the picture you're trying to use here?

My gut instinct is that you're not selecting the picture AND the vector when trying to do the crop but what you're saying about the toolpath is confusing me.

evowoodworking

Post by evowoodworking »

Here is the first one as soon as I hit crop bitmap icon, I get this error (attached). If I don't use the crop icon and just got directly to my toolpath by selecting the image, I just get a black image after it runs the toolpath regardless of the contrast, brightness, gamma I adjust.
Attachments
error vcarve 1.png

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Where is the vector you're cropping to? I can see the picture and the dashed outline but there's no vector that I can see. You have to have a vector shape selected to crop to. It's not an interactive tool where you move handles etc.

See these three pictures. The first one appears to be the same as your screenshot with just a selected photo. In the 2nd I have drawn a vector shape that I want to crop to and the 3rd is the result of using the Crop tool with the picture and that vector selected.
Pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
I don't use the laser picture toolpath myself so I can't help you with that bit but from what others have posted on the forum in the past it sounds like you might need to adjust the Maximum Burn Rate on your laser tool definition in the database. This is from the Help Contents on the Help menu:
Maximum Burn Rate
This is the maximum speed at which the tool, when at 100% power, will still burn the material. This value is used for simulation purposes only. It should be calibrated to match your laser and material. A larger value will result in the simulated toolpath appearing darker.

You will need access to the Laser Module to create and simulate laser toolpaths.

evowoodworking

Post by evowoodworking »

I feel so dumb, I was able to draw a circle selecting the create vector and then circle, however I can't select the outside (square area) and the circle like you did on your 3rd picture, it only select one or the other even when I right click and go to selection then select all vector.
Attachments
error vcarve 2.png

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I might have you given you a bum steer with the select all earlier. I forgot it only applies to vectors and a picture isn't a vector so it won't select it.

To select the picture and vector you can drag select (hold down the left mouse button and drag a box that covers the picture and vector and then let go of the left mouse button) or hold down the shift key on the keyboard and click the picture and vector in turn to select both of them.

evowoodworking

Post by evowoodworking »

Thank you so much it worked! Now I have to figure out the edit picture function to get the shading right.