Laser module needs Z axis control added

jjneeb
Model of CNC Machine: AVID CNC 4x4, Opt Lasers

Laser module needs Z axis control added

Post by jjneeb »

The laser module works well, but one important thing missing (that i could do when i used to fake the laser by using a 0.011" endmil) is the ability to change the Z height for any laser tool path. I want to set Z 0 at the material surface for the tightest focal point, and then be able to specify a cut depth relative to that for each cut. It should work with multi pass too so the Z can be dropped for each path. The other need for this is if you are lasering on a multi height surface, each tool path may be on a different level (for example burning around a pocket on the top, and then burning down in a pocket). This really is a must have feature.

A very nice to have feature on Z control would be to allow the user to figure out the Z height vs. focal point width slope and insert it as a tool parameter. Then ad an adjustable kerf width setting in either the tool settings or the tool path settings to set the kerf. Vcarve would then simply Z up higher to achieve wider and wider kerfs.

Please add these two features. Without them, i really wouldn't recommend buying the laser module vs. the old method of just modifying an endmil toolpath to use for laster vectoring cuts/etches.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Laser module needs Z axis control added

Post by TReischl »

OK, not being snarky here. . . .

The real issue is laser power. Without it, all sorts of "techniques" are attempted to compensate.

The idea is to have too much power. It can always be dialed back but it cannot be increased.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

jjneeb

Post by jjneeb »

I'm not sure what power has to do with my request. The laser i have can easily cut through 1/8" plywood in one pass at 20 IPM. For normal engraving on wood I have to back off to 20% or less power. One needs to have Z control to conveniently work at different heights on a multilevel part, or to play with line width. Right now you have to reset your Z for each height, or go edit your Gcode to run it all in one pass.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

jjneeb wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:33 am
I'm not sure what power has to do with my request. The laser i have can easily cut through 1/8" plywood in one pass at 20 IPM. For normal engraving on wood I have to back off to 20% or less power. One needs to have Z control to conveniently work at different heights on a multilevel part, or to play with line width. Right now you have to reset your Z for each height, or go edit your Gcode to run it all in one pass.
May have misread your earlier post, sounded like you were trying to cut through something by making multiple passes.

Interesting though. I put a laser on my machine a few years ago. One of the things I needed to do was disable the Z height changes in the post. That is because I use a vacuum attachment that runs about .25 inches above the surface being engraved. If I do want to laser on different heights then I use the first post. I have a long focal length, about 6 inches. So I just set zero with the laser 6 inches above the work surface and allow the Z to change height. I try to avoid that because of the smoke, etc. Thing to keep in mind about lasers is that the longer you can set the focal length the better. Shorter focal lengths have a much shorter convergence zone which can make them fussy about height changes.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

jjneeb wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:57 pm
The laser module works well, but one important thing missing (that i could do when i used to fake the laser by using a 0.011" endmil) is the ability to change the Z height for any laser tool path. I want to set Z 0 at the material surface for the tightest focal point, and then be able to specify a cut depth relative to that for each cut. It should work with multi pass too so the Z can be dropped for each path. The other need for this is if you are lasering on a multi height surface, each tool path may be on a different level (for example burning around a pocket on the top, and then burning down in a pocket). This really is a must have feature.

A very nice to have feature on Z control would be to allow the user to figure out the Z height vs. focal point width slope and insert it as a tool parameter. Then ad an adjustable kerf width setting in either the tool settings or the tool path settings to set the kerf. Vcarve would then simply Z up higher to achieve wider and wider kerfs.

Please add these two features. Without them, i really wouldn't recommend buying the laser module vs. the old method of just modifying an endmil toolpath to use for laster vectoring cuts/etches.
The laser module already have Z axis control - please try 'Project toolpath onto 3D model' option. Regarding new features, please contact our support team (support@vectric.com) directly and they will be happy to help.

Greg K

jjneeb

Post by jjneeb »

TReischl wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:15 pm
jjneeb wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:33 am
May have misread your earlier post, sounded like you were trying to cut through something by making multiple passes.

Interesting though. I put a laser on my machine a few years ago. One of the things I needed to do was disable the Z height changes in the post. That is because I use a vacuum attachment that runs about .25 inches above the surface being engraved. If I do want to laser on different heights then I use the first post. I have a long focal length, about 6 inches. So I just set zero with the laser 6 inches above the work surface and allow the Z to change height. I try to avoid that because of the smoke, etc. Thing to keep in mind about lasers is that the longer you can set the focal length the better. Shorter focal lengths have a much shorter convergence zone which can make them fussy about height changes.
I would love to have a 6 inch focal length. The newer LED lasers with lenses that focus on very small points seem to be much shorter. My new one is ~20mm from the protective housing.
One of the uses for Z control is to drop the laser a little for a multi pass cut, but the main need is for something you've machined that has differing heights that you've milled out with a router (think various pockets at different depths) and you want to burn an image on those different surfaces. The other is to intentionally run out of focus to change the line width.
I also had to disable the Z moves back to a safe height because the laser tool path still thinks its a router and needs to Z up for every rapid move, which is a waste of time for a laser....so i had to do the same thing you did in the pp. :-)

jjneeb

Post by jjneeb »

gregk wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:47 pm
jjneeb wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:57 pm

The laser module already have Z axis control - please try 'Project toolpath onto 3D model' option. Regarding new features, please contact our support team (support@vectric.com) directly and they will be happy to help.

Greg K
Hi Greg,
The "Project toolpath onto 3D model" only works on 3D models. So its really not user control for non-model based toolpaths. I have sent in the Z control requests to the support team though and they have already responded. Now just crossing my fingers. :-)

jamin35008
Model of CNC Machine: Openbuilds Lead 1010

Post by jamin35008 »

jjneeb,

I have this same need. Much of my lasering will be with non 3D models and just letter engraving which the Z height was controllable with the JTech postP but that doesn't work with the new Vectrics laser module so my Z movemnt is adding a lot of time to each laser burn. This really needs to be addressed to make this product viable for all users IMO.

parrothead_nj
Model of CNC Machine: Homegrown

Post by parrothead_nj »

Was this ever addressed?

tbeaulieu
Model of CNC Machine: Bobs Evolution 4

Post by tbeaulieu »

I watched a video of cutting ply with passes, lowering Z. Can’t do that with Aspire, from I
What I can tell. Since my laser focuses at .25, my assumption is that it would be best to lower it when doing passes, right?