Laser module SharkHD4

SilentBobTheBuilder
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD-4 Extended

Laser module SharkHD4

Post by SilentBobTheBuilder »

I recently upgraded to 10.5 and purchased the laser module. I am using the same post processor that I used to control the laser with V10 but I am getting an error when trying to save the toolpath in version 10.5.

Laser tool created and I've tried the CNCSharkHD4-Laser post processor and the CNC shark-laser post processor.

EdwardP
Vectric Staff

Re: Laser module SharkHD4

Post by EdwardP »

Hi SilentBob,

The laser module makes use of completely new features and so older workaround 'laser' posts will no longer work. However, the good news is that the good people of Next Wave have consolidated their machine control into one post now. The 'Next Wave CNC' post included in 10.5 should be a complete replacement for *both* routing and lasering now on all models of Shark and Piranha machines.

Cheers,

E

SilentBobTheBuilder

Awesome I will give that a shot. Makes it a lot easier to without having to switch between processors to use the laser.

Cheers!

SilentBobTheBuilder

EdwardP wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:04 pm
Hi SilentBob,

The laser module makes use of completely new features and so older workaround 'laser' posts will no longer work. However, the good news is that the good people of Next Wave have consolidated their machine control into one post now. The 'Next Wave CNC' post included in 10.5 should be a complete replacement for *both* routing and lasering now on all models of Shark and Piranha machines.

Cheers,

E
One more question. Will this also work with the 4th axis or does that still need the rotary post processor?

disney1928@msn.com
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave Automation Shark HD4

Post by disney1928@msn.com »

Thank you SilentBobTheBuilder and EdwardP for asking and answering this question about the PP and toolpath saving, as many of us had the same problem.

Another question I have is in regards to the performance of the laser picture toolpath. Has anyone tried it yet on the Shark HD4? I tried it yesterday and the performance was Horrible. The time summary indicated that the run time should have been about 25 minutes, but at 1 hour and 20 minutes, the program was only at 40%. The laser results and machine performance (reaction to the program) were also not nearly what they should have been or what they represented on the preview. I realize that there were multiple factors that could have affected the laser quality and am not as worried about that, because i can change the power and speed to fit the wood properties (if the rest of it worked properly). I tried another test program and piece of wood and when I started running it, it was well on its way to repeating the bad results. In both cases, I used some high resolution JPEG images (video tutorial used the same type of image).

The HD4 becomes very jittery and slow even though I have the speed at 80 inches per minute. Other settings: Raster pattern (no dither), Line spacing 0.02, Angle 0. Tool: Laser Cutter, Max Power 7 watts, Kerf 0.01, No. Passes = 1, Power = I tried a few, Move speed 80 inches per minute, Max burn rate 590 (this is what the system came up with). Used the new Post Processor as required.

I tried to rule out the PP as an issue by running a simple outline program and a fill program using the new laser cut and fill toolpath. Both of these ran just like they should (same as when we had to fake it with the engrave tool and old laser PP). The performance was smooth and pretty true to the time estimates.

Any thoughts or experiences from trying this toolpath? I was really excited to see the new Laser picture toolpath, but the performance, so far has left me disappointed. I am hoping that there is something I am missing.

Any assistance is Greatly Appreciated.

AdamJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by AdamJ »

In our experience the biggest issue with the picture toolpaths is likely to be that the toolpath has too many moves in it for the machine controller to read in the time available to it. So if your machine is running quite quickly and the resolution is fairly high then you are trying to feed the machine a lot of moves per second. It is quite easy to overwhelm the controller. In that case two things may happen:
  • The machine slows down to process all the moves
  • The machine just starts ignoring moves
So there are a couple of solutions:
  • Slow the machine down to match the speed that it can process moves
  • Reduce the quality of the image
I will give my colleague Todd - who actually did the tiger example - a poke to comment on how he went about achieving his results.

Thanks,
Adam

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CraftCNC

Post by Todd Bailey »

Hey...

I totally agree with what AdamJ has said.

The setting I used to etch the tiger are similar you what you listed: the differences being that I ran it at 70 inches/min and max power at 100%. The controller I was using is different (GRBL), controller software was VTransfer and the CNC was different.

Sounds like you know what you are doing and tweaking your setting will surely help. If not I might suggest you have a chat with Next Wave and see if they have any suggestions. I am assuming you purchased the laser from them?

In my experience, at least at the time, when we etched both the baby plaque and the tiger the software times (reported by VTransfer) were pretty close to the actual times.
------------------------------------
Todd Bailey | Design and Make
DesignAndMake.com

disney1928@msn.com
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave Automation Shark HD4

Post by disney1928@msn.com »

Hi Adam and Todd,
Thank you for your feedback and tips on the picture toolpath. I will try reducing the quality on the JPEG and see if that helps. The image I tried using was a 2917 x 3065 JPEG. I will also slow down the machine and drop the power. Hopefully adjusting the settings for future attempts will help clear the issues up. That being said, the first image I tried to use was the “Leaping Bass 50078 A” clipart that came in the clipart group from Vectric. I didn’t have a JPEG to match this image (like you had in the tiger video), so I thought I would try using the clipart image as a test. The program calculated a toolpath for this, and it appeared from the toolpath preview that it could make a good enhancement for the 3D carving I made. Unfortunately, that is when I noticed the performance issues. Just wondering if that type of image was not designed to be used with this toolpath? Has anyone tried using a 3D clipart with this toolpath? It seemed like it might be good considering all of the grayscale to black tone changes.
Thanks for the help, and thanks for the tutorial videos, they have been a big help.
Brian

AdamJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by AdamJ »

Hi Brian

Underneath the covers then we are converting the pictures to grayscale to determine the laser power so I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Let us know how it works!

Cheers,
Adam

kdmunns
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by kdmunns »

If you resolve your question with the laser photo please post the solution. I have tried so many different setting variations and still have not gotten satisfactory results. I have quit trying until I get some future direction. I have the Shark HD4 with the NextWave 7W laser also.

Auger
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave Automation HD5 Extended Bed

Post by Auger »

I have the SharkHD5. I too have been having issues with photos. I found this post after I had look at another. In this post I have some examples of the photo testing I did today, all the settings and examples for the results. Don't know if this information would assist you with some of the problems you all are experiencing.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=36445