Laser module and Nextwave

cvbrundige
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD5 Extended and Piranha FX

Laser module and Nextwave

Post by cvbrundige »

After upgrading to Aspire 10.5 and getting the Laser module, I am not able to see the tool database in the tool path for the laser features. I have been using the Piranha laser for over a year with no problems. Not sure how to tools into the laser tool database

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Re: Laser module and Nextwave

Post by gregk »

Hi cvbrundige,

The laser toolpaths only shows laser tools. If you can't see them then perhaps you don't have any tools defined in V10.5. Have you migrated your tool database from V10?

Greg K

cvbrundige

Post by cvbrundige »

Greg K,

Yes, I have migrated my tools over from my 10 version, funny you ask, each time I open 10.5 it asks to migrate again.

I can see all of my tools when I select other tool paths, just not in the laser tool paths

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

Yes, currently the migration dialog will pop up every time you run old version and then 10.5

Regarding the tools, when you click on select tool and the tool database comes up, right click in empty space and uncheck hide tools without cutting data (if I remember correctly) . If you can see your laser tools now, perhaps there is no cutting data defined for currently selected material.

Greg K

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

Migrating the DB copies over your old database and doesn't attempt to merge it into the new one. So the new tools defined in the 10.5 database will have been overwritten unfortunately. Those tools can be exported from the new database and then imported back into your migrated one. A back up of the overwritten one can be found in the Application Data folder.
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

cvbrundige

Post by cvbrundige »

Thank you Greg K and Mohamed,

I was able to import the laser tool DB from the backup file in the program data folder.

Now I need to figure out the settings for the Next Wave 2 watt laser.

I did do the update to 10.503 and I see where they have added back the CNC Shark Post Processors along with the Piranha.

mohamed
Vectric Staff

Post by mohamed »

cvbrundige wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:19 pm
I did do the update to 10.503 and I see where they have added back the CNC Shark Post Processors along with the Piranha.
Please take a look at Edward's response regarding the Shark and Piranha posts here ( viewtopic.php?p=256646#p256646 ). The hybrid post you're looking for for the laser is named 'Next Wave CNC ...'. The old Shark and Piranha won't work with lasers.
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

cvbrundige

Post by cvbrundige »

Thank you once again, Mohamed,

I have made note of the PP changes for the Next Wave CNC laser.

Where might I find the data for the next wave 2-watt laser, looking for the speed rate and kerf so that I can adjust the tool in the DB

mohamed
Vectric Staff

Post by mohamed »

cvbrundige wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:39 pm
Thank you once again, Mohamed,

I have made note of the PP changes for the Next Wave CNC laser.

Where might I find the data for the next wave 2-watt laser, looking for the speed rate and kerf so that I can adjust the tool in the DB
The kerf and speed are values that depend on the material properties among other things to do with the controller.

The values we've got are a starting point for a 3.8w laser, so perhaps you could try them out or scale them according to the difference but that will take some experimenting for the material you're using. Then, you can adjust the 'Maximum burn rate' to make the preview match the cut you get.

Tests could be some quick engraving toolpaths, but trying this on a laser picture could test the controller as it sometimes can't respect the speed you provide it if it's given very small moves.
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++