Workaround For No Laser Merge Toolpaths

jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: OneFinity

Workaround For No Laser Merge Toolpaths

Post by jenordyke »

I have just added a laser to my CNC and the Vectric laser module. I have a Buildbotics controller, if that makes any difference...
While creating a "test card" for the laser I discovered that as of yet the laser module doesn't support creating merged toolpaths...has anyone discovered a work-around so I don't have to sit and load/run 100 toolpaths one at a time?

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Re: Workaround For No Laser Merge Toolpaths

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

When you go to Save to gcode, can’t you choose to select all laser toolpaths to one gcode file?

(I’m away from home so I can’t look at the exact wording.)
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Yes,as Tex says, rather than saving the toolpaths from within the toolpath form save them using the Save Toolpaths button and set the option to "Visible toolpaths to one file" and make sure all the toolpaths you want to include have a check mark next to them to indicate that they are visible.

If that doesn't do what you're looking for could you provide some more info of your workflow?

sscooter
Model of CNC Machine: CamMaster Stinger II SR44

Post by sscooter »

I think what Jenordyke is saying is, the merge toolpaths icon reports "Laser toolpaths not currently supported". I think the problem is when you have laser toolpaths with different feeds and power level setting and you save them with "Visible toolpaths to one file", what you get is all laser toolpaths will save but they all have the power levels set to the first toolpath level and its feed speed. The software doesn't recognize the different feed speeds and power levels in subsequent toolpaths. yesterday Adam Moran emailed me that he would pass this issue on to the support team but gave no guidance on if or when it might be fixed. Not sure if it can be fixed in our Post Processors. I use WinCnCLaser10.5 from the J-Tech site on my Camaster SR44 w/7 watt J-tech laser. I think the PP needs to have "begin new segment" code added but I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes modifying PP.

Chuck Andries aka Sscooter
Aspire 11.5

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Chuck, I’ve discussed the laser toolpath stuff with Vectric also with similar responses.

They’re just not ready to change it, Trouble is, I’m starting to do things outside of Vectric more and more.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jenordyke »

Posting a reply to bump this back into active - anyone found a hack or workaround yet?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

jenordyke wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:11 pm
Posting a reply to bump this back into active - anyone found a hack or workaround yet?
What's the issue with saving the toolpaths to one file as suggested earlier in the thread? I just tested that with the G-Code Laser post processor and it appears to put all the correct power changes in.

Perhaps all that is needed is the post processor you're using to be updated to allow for power changes?

jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jenordyke »

Now that is very interesting. I use the latest "laser-supporting" pp for my Onefinity CNC with a buildbotics controller. I loaded a G-Code Laser Arc post processor and inspected the saved file and it has power changes. I'll try constructing my own pp and see what results.

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

If I remember correctly the pp needs to have the NEW_SEGMENT section defined and populated
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jenordyke »

I think you are right about the new segment section. I also note that the pp I have been using is a one size fits all for both spindle and laser toolpaths and so has tool change and pause for spindle up to speed sections that are of course not used with the laser. I haven't been able to detect just yet how the pp distinguishes between spindle and laser toolpaths so that it doesn't include the spindle-specific sections when the toolpaths are for the laser?? I'll work this out and then perhaps move this thread to post processors since that seems a better fit.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Looks in the Post Processor Editing guide (on the Help menu in the software) and look at the Jet Support Sections part. The JET_TOOL_POWER section is accessed when there is a laser toolpath with different power settings from the previous toolpath AFAIK.