Laser cutting issues

Squatch717
Model of CNC Machine: Nextwave Shark HD500

Laser cutting issues

Post by Squatch717 »

I am a newbie with using CNC and laser module. Have a Shark HD500 and a NextWave 7w laser. Trying to cut out a diagram using 1/8" birchwood. This cutout has several layers - first layer I was able to adjust the program to cut the diagram out (using Vcarve pro - version 11.5). Used identical parameters for second level - won't cut and is only etching. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Re: Laser cutting issues

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

You are way too optimistic on the cutting abilities of a 7 watt laser. At full power it might cut through 0.100" plywood in 8 to 10 passes. Even then the cut will be really burned in.

A 7 watt laser is really well suited for lettering and outlining, but is not really suitable for cutting through wood. Even with twice that wattage it will be too difficult to make it practical.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

My first stand-alone Laser Machine was a 20-watt, which would only engrave. I sold it and got an 80-watt which will cut 3/16 material in 5 or 6 passes. I then purchased a 400-watt which will cut, depending on the material 3/4" per pass. In my opinion, a 7-watt is a waste of money unless you're only planning on light engraving.

Gary

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

garylmast wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 12:27 pm
... In my opinion, a 7-watt is a waste of money unless you're only planning on light engraving.
Yep, that's exactly what a 7 watt laser is good for. Its another tool in the tool database, just like a Vbit or end mill. I wouldn't characterize it as "only" "light" engraving, because one can do quite a bit of intricate design with the laser module. Just not so much cutting.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I dunno, I have done some decent inlay work using my lowly, el cheapo 5W laser. Took about 4 passes IIRC to cut through .02 veneer.

And then, it comes in handy when doing some 3D work, I just run the laser around edges of the details and they pop right out.

But my favorite thing to do with my worthless 5W laser is to engrave on the bass carving blanks the 3D designs I want to handcarve. Sort of neat with the long focal length. I can remove the waste on the bandsaw and then put it back on the machine and engrave on the surface produced on the bandsaw. Sort of handy.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns