Can I Run the X-Tool D1 PRO with V-Carve?

joejinky
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Samson 510 CNC Plasma Table

Can I Run the X-Tool D1 PRO with V-Carve?

Post by joejinky »

I am curious about this. I just bought the X-Tool D1 PRO 20 Watt blue diode laser machine. I did buy other laser software, and X-Tool offers a very basic and limited program for running the laser, but I am seeing talk about lasers here on the VECTRIC forum. That makes me wonder if V-Carve can be used to design and cut with the X-Tool laser.

All feedback is greatly appreciated!

Joe
http://flic.kr/s/aHsk7y47ff

wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Long Mill

Re: Can I Run the X-Tool D1 PRO with V-Carve?

Post by wilkigr »

In my limited experience, VCarve can be used with pretty much any laser. We've even used it with a plasma cutter module.

That said, I do not use the Vectric laser module for VCarve. I did test it on a couple of different laser units, but for my purposes, it simply was not worth the cost. Using the free Jtech laser post processor gave me everything that I needed. YMMV, of course.

joejinky
Vectric Apprentice

Post by joejinky »

My V-Carve is version 10.5. Do I have to move up to a more recent version to do this? I looked through the software and saw nothing to indicate a way to drive a laser.

Joe

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You've been able to drive plasma and lasers with VCarve for years. You don't need to upgrade unless you want the two toolpaths that come with the laser module. It's just a matter of using the correct post processor for the setup you have.

joejinky
Vectric Apprentice

Post by joejinky »

Adrian wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:01 pm
You've been able to drive plasma and lasers with VCarve for years. You don't need to upgrade unless you want the two toolpaths that come with the laser module. It's just a matter of using the correct post processor for the setup you have.
What am I missing? I see nothing in the software to deal with lasers. Does the laser have to be plugged in and turned on, in order for that aspect of V-Carve to "come to life?"

Joe

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

A question to ask the original poster is: since that appears to be a dedicated laser cutter what advantage(s) do you expect in running the Vectric software to create the toolpaths to run the laser as opposed to the software bundled with it?

As Adrian said there are two specific toolpaths in the add-on laser module both of which are included in the dedicated laser software that comes with the machine.

joejinky
Vectric Apprentice

Post by joejinky »

An ADD-ON laser module? Okay. I will check the site for this.

I like to experiment with things, think outside of the box, and all of that. Yes, I have other laser software, and another program to run the laser, but both of those programs deal with a 2D image burned or etched onto a flat surface. I would like to experiment with running the laser over foam, at different power levels and speed, to see it I can use the laser to carve a 3D shape into the foam. Theoretically, it could be done, as a weak laser would only melt (.00n") depth into the foam, while a more powerful laser would carve deeper into the foam. Since I can import a 3D image into V-Carve, if I can also run the laser and adjust the power in exchange for the Z depth of a cut, I SHOULD be able to carve foam successfully. Or maybe I will just set my house on fire :roll:

Joe

joejinky
Vectric Apprentice

Post by joejinky »

It was a fight, but I finally got it assembled with the frame extension installed. This is an awesome little laser machine with 390x900mm work area. It is a 20 Watt blue diode laser. I also have the rotary tool for it, to etch designs into round things like YETI cups, and baseball bats, etc. This laser is about 50 times more powerful than the little cat toy lasers on your keychain, or the target acquisition lasers used on guns.

Lots going on right now, but I am going to build an enclosure for this, and connect the air filtration unit, so I can contain the smoke and fumes. Then I will start experimenting with the 'YUGE assortment of things I bought from Hobby Lobby and Lowes.

Joe
X-TOOL WITH EXTENDED FRAME.jpg

wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wilkigr »

As others have said, you can buy the laser module to get two tool path options for lasers. However, Vectric lists very few lasers that the module will run under.

If you go to the Jtech site, you will find free post processors for Vectric software. There are instructions on how to set a laser as a tool in the Vectric software tool database. Then, you simply choose that tool for your project, choose that post processor for the tool path and you're off and running.

We have successfully used three laser units attached to our CNC mills using this method. It's just a matter of playing with power settings and feed rates, which you need to do even if you are using the Vectric laser module.

joejinky
Vectric Apprentice

Post by joejinky »

09-24-2023

Gosh, so much has happened!

I added several D1 PRO lasers to my shop. then I bought the P2 with the risers and the track, etc. Recently I bought the new P1 with the slide tray and the rotary tool., and the air filter ...

I am trying to find the time to actually USE these machines, but I am a one-man show with no help. :cry:

Joe

Gary54
Model of CNC Machine: 6090 GZ

Post by Gary54 »

Also purchase a D1 pro and would like to use Vectric . All I need is a working post processor . Can any one help
Thanks

Gary54
Model of CNC Machine: 6090 GZ

Post by Gary54 »

Need help with adding My machine to Vcarve pro. need to communicate with Machine thanks

grantw
Vectric Apprentice

Post by grantw »

If this is a grbl based module, you can look at the Jtech post processors for Vectric programs.
Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

joejinky wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:48 pm
09-24-2023

Gosh, so much has happened!

I added several D1 PRO lasers to my shop. then I bought the P2 with the risers and the track, etc. Recently I bought the new P1 with the slide tray and the rotary tool., and the air filter ...

I am trying to find the time to actually USE these machines, but I am a one-man show with no help. :cry:

Joe
Bit off topic but what made you choose this machine over any of the others? I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a small laser & as well as the X-tools machines I was looking at the Creality falcon2 40w which falls into the same sort of price range :lol: :lol:

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

If you look at the configuration file for "other software" you'll find the line:

Code: Select all

"Name": "GRBL",
This is a starting point. Beware of using the JTech post processor though. You'll probably need to do some research to find out what needs are for the XTool and will need to edit that post processor.

The XTool probably has it's own commands executed at the start and end of the file. It might be a plan to approach the XTool support people about this.