JTech 14W Settings For Beginners

ilmaestro
Model of CNC Machine: Openbuiilds 1515

JTech 14W Settings For Beginners

Post by ilmaestro »

All

I just purchased the Jtech 14W laser for the openbuild 1515 utilizing vcarve pro 11 with laser Module. I'm in the process of wiring it up where I'm playing with vcarve when I'm not. My question is:

Does anyone have a good tool database library they can share or settings for the Jtech 14W laser?

This will be my first laser cut and understand that the settings will change based on material and project, but right now I have nothing to work with.
Randomly picking settings to figure this out makes me uncomfortable, so if anyone can provide starting settings I would appreciate it.

From there I will fiddle with the settings and if you need starting material let's start with 1/8 pine boards 4 inches wide.

What would be good settings to picture engrave and cut?

I'm computer/tech savvy but as smart as a door nail with CNC settings.

Thanks

wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Long Mill

Re: JTech 14W Settings For Beginners

Post by wilkigr »

You may want to look at LAHobbyGuy's forum and website. He has free files for charts that you can burn that will show your results at various feeds and power rates. His files are for use in other laser software, but his videos will show you his power settings that you could put into VCarve.

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Post by rig gap »

I just installed a 14 watt Jtech laser on my CNC...I did a test run and the best burn pattern I got using Baltic Birch plywood was 50% power and 50 IPM feedrate...I'm sure there will be some differences but that's whatI got...Laser focal point was set at .220" (thickness of the focus gauge).

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Those settings are fine if you're getting the results that you want. On my JTech 7W, if I move too fast then my burn lines turn into visible dotted lines. That's because the diode laser is being multiplexed. I found that I can't move any faster than 30 IPM before my result is not what I want. You just have to try to find the limits. I'm usually running from 60% to 80%, but that's using the 7 watt laser.

My focus range is purty wide; something like half an inch. I can't tell much difference in the burn line within that range. I generally worry less about focus and more about clearing clamps or other objects.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

ilmaestro

Post by ilmaestro »

Thanks for the info. I haven't gotten a chance to play more as this is a hobby than job. Once I find good settings I'll post here for others. I feel everyone needs a good starting point to properly get what they need.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

That's fine, but you might be just a leetle bit behind the curve. :lol:

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman

Post by rig gap »

The attached is an i age that I just engraved with my 14 watt Jtech laser...major lines were burned at 50% power and 50 ipm feed rate...the hatch lines were burned at 30% power and 50 ipm feedrate.
The image is 2" tall and I was doing this to see what the line resolution would look like with reduced size and lots of lines close together...this was done without the air assist turned on.
0C0EA0B3-5640-4557-8135-D31184D7FA47.jpeg

ilmaestro

Post by ilmaestro »

Rig Gap,
That looks really good, so I'll give those settings a shot. Getting into the work area to do it has been hard for me. I can see a little overburn around the eagle, so do you feel less power or higher IPM would be better? I'm leaning towards IPM, but I'm guessing and would like to know your thoughts

I have to say looking over your work and using 2 settings really put a lot more into perspective because it seems you will need 4 settings to make this come out clean. (1 for the eagle, 1 for the wording "726th...." and the other 2 you already have for the rest.

Another question did you purchase the laser module for vcarve or just played around with the bit settings? Would you be able to show me what you have set? (this may be a stupid ask, but I'm incredibly new to all this)

This is great info and helped a lot.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

rig gap wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:42 pm
... I just engraved with my 14 watt Jtech laser...major lines were burned at 50% power and 50 ipm feed rate...the hatch lines were burned at 30% power and 50 ipm feedrate....
I adjust my Jtech 7Watt to 80% and 20IPM normally. Sometimes the wood asks me for 60%. Your lines look like they are getting too much power. Remember that you aren't trying to set a forest fire! :lol:

50% on your 14 watt is still a bit higher than what I use. Make a test pattern with various settings and try it on the material you are going to use. You might find something better.

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman

Post by rig gap »

ilmaestro...PM sent

ilmaestro

Post by ilmaestro »

I finally got a chance to play again. I didn't get a chance to try your hatch burn of 30% power with 50 IPM, so I will try to as I'm working on an ornament with wording that I want to be as dark as you have shown above. I ran mine at 40% power, 300 IPM, 1 pass, 0.01 pass over crosshatch. Here is how it looks (The word APIA is done as the laser is completed the word Christmas).
20230905_150240.jpg
I have more playing to do where I want to try your settings with the default 0.02 pass over crosshatch.

In the meantime, what I would like to know is what you use for cutting. I've done research on JTECH's website and noticed they used 1/4 plywood 100% power with 10 IPM in 2 passes where it takes me 6 passes with very dark charred edges. (I just watched the video again and the 2 passes where with 1/4 birch plywood which seems to have a crappy center where MDF took 6 passes, so maybe good plywood takes 6 passes.)

Video:

What settings do you use for less charred edges?

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

ilmaestro wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:46 pm
... What settings do you use for less charred edges?
Well, not meaning to be demeaning :lol: , but laser cutting is a burning process so there is naturally a charred edge. Its on every precut Chinese part that I buy off of Amazon. I know they do those with a higher power laser, but I know they run them fast, too.

ilmaestro

Post by ilmaestro »

No feelings hurt here. I guess I just needed to hear it to have it sink in. I understand that more power and speed are needed to get cleaner edge cuts, but I was hoping someone would have a trick rather than spending more money beyond the limits of a hobby.

Now I need to assemble a test burn chart for various wood types, so I don't waste time testing on every project.

If anyone has a Vcarve laser file, they wouldn't mind sharing feel free to post it here. If I create one, I will share it.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

I had some text laser burnt onto a project. The people who did it said they first covered the wood with masking tape to prevent burnt edges. I don't know how this works, but it might be worth a try.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

ilmaestro

Post by ilmaestro »

Sorry, when I said burnt edges, I didn't mean the edges on the top, but the sides. I have an air assist, so I do not get those burnt edges you are talking about, but I have to say using masking tape is a pretty good idea if I don't have the air assist. There is another thread where someone asked about this, and I'll relay your comment as I believe it will help a lot.