Hybrid Machining with Shapeoko 3 XXL

douggenie
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3XXL

Hybrid Machining with Shapeoko 3 XXL

Post by douggenie »

I have read through the older posts about this topic ... the last post that had the most information is now 2 years old. So, I'm having problems and would like to get them fixed.

I am trying to use my Jtech laser with my Shapeoko 3 XXL in the same project. I use Vcarve Pro to design my projects. I use Carbide Motion to send the CNC files to the machine and they cut just fine. I have the laser module and I want to be able to laser text and images onto the the same work piece. I have the laser module installed. I have the laser tool setup. Nothing I do works. I've tried vtransfer, carbide motion, etc.

So, can some of the experts or people that have this working help me and create a solution to post here on how to be able to use Vcarve Pro and a Jtech laser on a Shapeoko on the same workpiece? My first project is to laser on some text and a small clipart onto a piece of pine for a plaque and then simply use a cutter to cutout the plaque.

Thanks!
Shapeoko 3 XXL 1.1f, Jtech 7w Laser, Vcarve Pro 11

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Hybrid Machining with Shapeoko 3 XXL

Post by Adrian »

What do you mean by "nothing I do works"? Is the laser work misaligned, is nothing being produced at all, or something else?

douggenie

Post by douggenie »

Sorry,
Vtransfer does not have a Shapeoko config file and I can't get settings correct so it keeps crashing into limits. Taking Vcarve laser gcode with the jtech pp file and running in Carbide Motion never turns on the laser. I can get other laser software to laser something but it can't take my gcode file. Etc.

I'd like to start over and make sure I am using the correct Post Processor files in Vcarve and use some controller software (everyone recommends getting rid of CM) to be able to do both cutting and lasering jobs on the Shapeoko.

Ultimately, I'd like to document a working and repeatable solution here that doesn't require more and more pieces of software. I'd like to use Vcarve with the laser module and either Vtransfer or CM.

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

Which G-Code Sender are you using?

Can you use the Work Coordinate System for the laser offset?

For example, use G55 for your cutter X-Y Zero and use G56 for the laser X-Y Zero.

Not sure if GRBL supports G52 commands for offset.

douggenie

Post by douggenie »

If I could use those commands, I wouldn't know where to use them. Not sure I want to memorize commands ... is there a way to store macros?

Currently I'm just using Carbide Motion. The Shapeoko is GRBL based and it is 1.1f. I'm not opposed to using cncjs or ugs or something different as long as it can be setup with "macros" or so that a process can be well defined.

My goal is to use as few 3rd party systems as possible. I love VCarve and would love to keep it all in the family if possible. All the talk is that it can do it right from the vcarve toolpath, etc. But somewhere somehow there are still "kinks" in the process where it just can't be done. Not opposed to other contoller software but if that process needs to repeatable and straightforward.

douggenie

Post by douggenie »

Is the following a safe assumption for a machining/lasering process?
1. Draw in VCarve
2. Select your vector
3. Create toolpath for vector
3.5 You can select a post-processor in some of the toolpath setups
4. Save your toolpath to gcode making sure to select the correct machine and pp

Not sure it gets more simple than that. Digging deeper then makes me wonder if I'm choosing the correct post-processor for the toolpath.

1. What should the pp be for using cnc for cutting for the Shapeoko 3XXL grbl 1.1f? Using the Shapeoko Inch pp.
2. What should the pp be for using laser for engraving for the jtech 7w? I have downloaded the Jtech grbl laser inch pp.
3. I have not altered any pp ... they are as they were from program installation or from import for the jtech pp.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Doug,

Here is a link that might be helpful:

https://jtechphotonics.com/?p=19034
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

I do this exact thing all the time with my Shapeoko 3XL. I just did it with this marriage plaque commission last week (see image). Carved it using a v-bit and used the j-tech to burn the carving. I'd be happy to share what I've done but I'll let you know in advance I couldn't do it as well (maybe not at all) with Carbide Motion sender. I only really got it working the way I wanted it by customizing and creating 2 post processors and by switching to CNCjs for the gcode sender. Those things helped me get over some software issues with the Shapeoko and allowed me to perfect my alignment between cutting and laser tool paths. You can see a lot of information in this thread viewtopic.php?p=275804#p275804
Shirel.jpg
Start reading and then ask start asking questions. I'm happy to share what I've done.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

I would recommend trying a different G-Code sender. We use Intelli-G-Code Sender by Software Redefined. From our experience it is easy for operators to learn and handles the WCS easily. We abandoned CM early on, we had SO3 s/n 0063.

Find a G-Code Sender that works for you and you like. Then customize the macros and settings slowly so you can roll back if something doesn't work out well. We've been thru 4 or 5 which we've tried and IGS is the easiest from a control in our opionion. They have a free and paid version.

If GRBL can use the G52 offsets, you could just create a new PP for the laser with the commands at the header to enter the offset and commands at the footer to remove to return to the default WCS X-Y zero.

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

Shapeoko supports G92 offsets
9 "G92.1"
10 "G0[ZH]"
11 "G0[XH][YH]"
12 + Now apply a temporaty 0.5mm offset for my laser alignment
13 "G92 X-0.5Y0.5"
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Long Mill

Post by wilkigr »

You may want to look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=39763

I spelled out how I do these hybrid projects. I didn't mention that I use gSender from Sienci as my code sender. It is based on CNCjs, with added functionality.

douggenie

Post by douggenie »

I can't believe I missed the Jtech video in my searches. But it comes with another question that someone asked in the comments thankfully - how do you turn on the laser and move it without using CM ... they used a separate controller package.

So based on all that, I will start by installing cncjs and get comfortable with that for now.

wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Long Mill

Post by wilkigr »

I don't use CM for my code sender, so this may not help. I use gSender, but it is very similar (better?) than CNCjs. In gS, I can set the offset between the router XY0 and the laser XY0 using macros or the built-in offset function. I can set $32 and $30 using either of the same two methods. Is this what you are asking about?

douggenie

Post by douggenie »

wilkigr wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:38 pm
I don't use CM for my code sender, so this may not help. I use gSender, but it is very similar (better?) than CNCjs. In gS, I can set the offset between the router XY0 and the laser XY0 using macros or the built-in offset function. I can set $32 and $30 using either of the same two methods. Is this what you are asking about?
I am looking for a complete repeatable process. I installed and played with CNCjs over the weekend and it is showing potential.

douggenie

Post by douggenie »

I'm not a gcode expert at all but I can at least look for things I'm told to look for. The top 15 or so lines from my laser text gcode file from Vcarve Pro with the Jtech Laser PP chosen is below. Shouldn't there be a $32=1 in there to turn on the laser or is it later in the file? I searched for $32 in whole file and there was nothing.

Code: Select all

T1
G17
G20
G90
G0X0.0000Y0.0000
G0X3.9391Y1.5896
G1F100.0
M4S0
G1X4.0386S800F100.0
M5
G0X4.9463