Truncated Cone

This forum has been created for users to submit suggestions for Gadgets
SomeCNCGuy
Model of CNC Machine: FGP Solutions

Re: Truncated Cone

Post by SomeCNCGuy »

Ok I have had a chance to test the latest version and am happy to say that it seems to work perfectly. I simply input the same parameters as the Truncated Cone I calculated (3" top, 12" base & 24" height with a 1" overlap) and overlaid it onto my cone and it matched perfectly. Worth noting however, it only seems to work if the "Top Diameter" is less than the "Base Diameter". Might be an idea to substitute Small & Large Diameter in place of Top & Base.
Also wondering if the Input Parameters will default to 3, 6, 9 & .5 every time it is executed or reset to zero. I personally think they should reset to zero but I don't have a strong preference either way. If there is going to be future improvements I think it would be desirable to include an option to have a sloped top and bottom.
Other than that I think it works like a charm and I can see that it will be a handy little tool for any user that needs to create a truncated cone. I thank you for your interest and efforts in developing this Gadget and look forward to trying it out when we go back to work next week.

Thnx again, Ian

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

SomeCNCGuy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:17 am
Ok I have had a chance to test the latest version and am happy to say that it seems to work perfectly. I simply input the same parameters as the Truncated Cone I calculated (3" top, 12" base & 24" height with a 1" overlap) and overlaid it onto my cone and it matched perfectly. Worth noting however, it only seems to work if the "Top Diameter" is less than the "Base Diameter". Might be an idea to substitute Small & Large Diameter in place of Top & Base.
Also wondering if the Input Parameters will default to 3, 6, 9 & .5 every time it is executed or reset to zero. I personally think they should reset to zero but I don't have a strong preference either way. If there is going to be future improvements I think it would be desirable to include an option to have a sloped top and bottom.
Other than that I think it works like a charm and I can see that it will be a handy little tool for any user that needs to create a truncated cone. I thank you for your interest and efforts in developing this Gadget and look forward to trying it out when we go back to work next week.

Thnx again, Ian
Hi Lan,

Wow, great feedback!! Yes, we are on track to add better error trapping, dress up the user interface, improve the management of default values, slope the top, slope the bottom, etc, etc, etc...

Thanks for the testing and feedback.
Thanks,
Jim

SomeCNCGuy
Model of CNC Machine: FGP Solutions

Post by SomeCNCGuy »

Thnx again, Ian

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

SomeCNCGuy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:44 am

Thnx again, Ian
Attachments
Nailed IT.png
Nailed IT.png (23.28 KiB) Viewed 7254 times
Thanks,
Jim

tjskcnc
Model of CNC Machine: diy

Post by tjskcnc »

Started my own gadget for truncated cone before coming across this post. I used a program for cones for the waterjet I operated in a sheetmetal fabrication shop and miss having it. Did all my calculations in VB.net and verified in Solidworks. Now I need to transfer everything to Lua. This is an exercise in Lua for me to learn the graphics.
Image1.jpg

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

tjskcnc wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:44 am
Started my own gadget for truncated cone before coming across this post. I used a program for cones for the waterjet I operated in a sheetmetal fabrication shop and miss having it. Did all my calculations in VB.net and verified in Solidworks. Now I need to transfer everything to Lua. This is an exercise in Lua for me to learn the graphics.
Image1.jpg
Hi,

Please have a look at my code. Let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to help.
Attachments
EasyPatterMaker.zip
(206.11 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Thanks,
Jim