Truncated Cone

This forum has been created for users to submit suggestions for Gadgets
SomeCNCGuy
Model of CNC Machine: FGP Solutions

Truncated Cone

Post by SomeCNCGuy »

Hello, I recently made a post in the general gadget forum with a request for a gadget to create a Truncated Cone. I didn't realize that this forum was available to make requests. My Bad. Here is the link to my previous post. viewtopic.php?p=264665#p264665
Basically if there was a gadget that would allow an Aspire or VCarve user to plug in the parameters of a truncated cone. The gadget could calculate and create a tool path that would cut a flat panel that when wrapped around and joined at the ends it would form a Truncated Cone.
The internet has several calculators to calculate the math which is helpful but then you have to export the results in a dxf file and import into Aspire. Having this functionality in a gadget would be just too awesome.
Here is a link to a calculator that one of our members posted. https://www.templatemaker.nl/en/cone/

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Truncated Cone

Post by gkas »

Do many folks need a truncated cone? Sounds like a speciality item to me.

SomeCNCGuy

Post by SomeCNCGuy »

I guess it depends on your CNC use, If you're in the Kitchen cabinet industry you may not have any use for it. We use Truncated cones quite frequently in Scenic Construction. Would come in very handy for me. That said I also think it is a specialty item and that's kinda why there needs to be a Gadget to create it.

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

SomeCNCGuy wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:18 pm
Hello, I recently made a post in the general gadget forum with a request for a gadget to create a Truncated Cone. I didn't realize that this forum was available to make requests. My Bad. Here is the link to my previous post. viewtopic.php?p=264665#p264665
Basically if there was a gadget that would allow an Aspire or VCarve user to plug in the parameters of a truncated cone. The gadget could calculate and create a tool path that would cut a flat panel that when wrapped around and joined at the ends it would form a Truncated Cone.
The internet has several calculators to calculate the math which is helpful but then you have to export the results in a dxf file and import into Aspire. Having this functionality in a gadget would be just too awesome.
Here is a link to a calculator that one of our members posted. https://www.templatemaker.nl/en/cone/
I could write you a gadget. Let me know.
Thanks,
Jim

SomeCNCGuy

Post by SomeCNCGuy »

I could write you a gadget. Let me know.
Hey jimandi. That would be awesome if you could do that! Hopefully other users will find it useful as well.
Thnx.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I am going to chime in here. . . .

What really helps a person develop a gadget/app is knowing what users will expect. The more information the better.

Fer instance, truncated cone:

Flat top?
Slanted top?
Flanges on join edges to allow gluing/screwing/welding?
Flanges on base or top?

We used to have a term for that sort of thing: robust.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

I will get on it tonight.
Thanks,
Jim

SomeCNCGuy

Post by SomeCNCGuy »

Hello Jim, I don't really know what to suggest with regard to features, variables or other options to include to in a gadget. For my purposes if the gadget did nothing other than calculate the shape of a truncated cone, that would serve my purposes at minimum. From there I could easily add flaps to make a seam or tabs to attach to other parts, etc A sloped top is something that I never considered until you mentioned it as an option but now that you mentioned it I think that could be useful as well.
Another member has brought to my attention a website that calculates many geometric shapes including Truncated Cones. Here is the link. https://www.templatemaker.nl/en/cone/ It might be worth while to visit that site to get ideas of what to include in a Gadget.

Thnx, Ian

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

SomeCNCGuy wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:53 am
Hello Jim, I don't really know what to suggest with regard to features, variables or other options to include to in a gadget. For my purposes if the gadget did nothing other than calculate the shape of a truncated cone, that would serve my purposes at minimum. From there I could easily add flaps to make a seam or tabs to attach to other parts, etc A sloped top is something that I never considered until you mentioned it as an option but now that you mentioned it I think that could be useful as well.
Another member has brought to my attention a website that calculates many geometric shapes including Truncated Cones. Here is the link. https://www.templatemaker.nl/en/cone/ It might be worth while to visit that site to get ideas of what to include in a Gadget.

Thnx, Ian
Hi Lan,
Thanks for the site.
I was planning the follow design for version 1.0:
User interface:
  • Base Dia:
  • Top Dia:
  • Top Angle:
  • Cone Height:
  • Flap Size: (0 = no flap)

Is this OK?
Thanks,
Jim

SomeCNCGuy

Post by SomeCNCGuy »

Hey Jim. Yes that sounds like a great start. I got to thinking that if you can slope the top then possibly another option would be to slope the bottom as well. Thereby making it possible to create a leaning truncated cone or a cone with an offset top. I don't know what else you could include. So far as I'm concerned that really covers all the variables.

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

SomeCNCGuy wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:09 am
Hey Jim. Yes that sounds like a great start. I got to thinking that if you can slope the top then possibly another option would be to slope the bottom as well. Thereby making it possible to create a leaning truncated cone or a cone with an offset top. I don't know what else you could include. So far as I'm concerned that really covers all the variables.
I am building version 1.0 to be flat on top and bottom. we can make it better in Version 2,3 or 4. :)
Thanks,
Jim

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Okay,

I have a working base gadget. Please test and let me know if any issues and request for next steps.
Attachments
Cone01.jpg
Cone02.jpg
Cone03.jpg
EasyPatterMaker.zip
extract EasyPatterMaker.vagdget and load gadget
(2.67 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Thanks,
Jim

SomeCNCGuy

Post by SomeCNCGuy »

Hello Jim, Thank you for your progress. I have now had an opportunity to test this gadget and sadly have to say that it did not work correctly for me. I am attaching a screen shot that shows how a truncated cone that I created using mathematical equations for a Truncated Cone (left) and another cone created using the gadget that you are writing (right). The cone on the left has a 3" diameter top, 12" diameter Bottom and a 24" height, I then added a 1" flap on one side and put a row of 1/8" holes along each edge for rivets. I input the same parameters into your gadget and it produced the cone to the right. Obviously they don't match.
For the record this is the cone that prompted me to come to this forum and ask for this gadget to be developed. It was cut last month out of 1/16" PVC and when wrapped around and riveted together along the seam it became a Truncated cone with the exact dimensions as designed.
Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 3.01.17 PM.png

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

SomeCNCGuy wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:50 am
Hello Jim, Thank you for your progress. I have now had an opportunity to test this gadget and sadly have to say that it did not work correctly for me. I am attaching a screen shot that shows how a truncated cone that I created using mathematical equations for a Truncated Cone (left) and another cone created using the gadget that you are writing (right). The cone on the left has a 3" diameter top, 12" diameter Bottom and a 24" height, I then added a 1" flap on one side and put a row of 1/8" holes along each edge for rivets. I input the same parameters into your gadget and it produced the cone to the right. Obviously they don't match.
For the record this is the cone that prompted me to come to this forum and ask for this gadget to be developed. It was cut last month out of 1/16" PVC and when wrapped around and riveted together along the seam it became a Truncated cone with the exact dimensions as designed.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 3.01.17 PM.png
Thanks for testing.... I will have a look at the code and see what I did wrong. :)
Thanks,
Jim

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Hello All,

Here is the corrected code (Version 1.1)

Let me know if you have any request or questions.
Attachments
EasyPatterMaker.zip
Extract the gadget file and load it
(146.89 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Screenshot.png
Thanks,
Jim