Clock/Compass array

This forum has been created for users to submit suggestions for Gadgets
FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Clock/Compass array

Post by FixitMike »

A gadget that would produce a circular array of increasing numbers.
Parameters would include:
Start number
Last number
Increment between numbers
Degree position of start number
Total degrees
Font and size
Rotate copies Yes/No.
Center location of array.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Kayvon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark

Re: Clock/Compass array

Post by Kayvon »

I can create a gadget to do all of this except the "increasing number" part. The Lua API has no ability to create text. I'm hoping the feature will be added someday.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Could the gadget copy an operator entered example of the text desired? It could be copied into the positions desired. Operator would then edit to the desired number. One of the difficulties would be that if rotated text is edited in VCarve, the rotation disappears.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Kayvon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Kayvon »

Not with copy-paste (limited API for that, too, outside of adding text to the clipboard), but it could be done by having the user highlight the number prior to running the gadget. The catch is that the copies it creates would be vectors, rather than text. You couldn't go back and edit them as text at that point.

That said, VCarve/Aspire have an array copy function that will create rotated copies of whatever you've selected. That may be what you're asking for by this point.

It will be nice to see some updates to the Lua API, should Vectric ever decide to give it a little TLC.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Kayvon wrote: It will be nice to see some updates to the Lua API, should Vectric ever decide to give it a little TLC.
If there's something you want to see added to the API then you should email support@vectric.com so it can be added to the wish list for future versions.

Kayvon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Kayvon »

Thanks, Adrian. I'll give that a try.

Looking more closely at the API, it may be possible to "clone" a selection, but it won't gain us anything over the array copy function that already exists.

Kayvon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Kayvon »

I got a prompt response from Vectric: They have no plans to expand the API.

It's great that the gadget interface exists, but I don't expect to see any changes/improvements any time soon.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I'm not surprised to be honest. They've got enough on their plate with support for the actual product without having to support gadgets as well. I think they (I certainly did) expected more people to develop gadgets but it never really took off. I think there's only 3 or 4 people who have developed gadgets. I did a couple in the early days that are on the site but everything I've done since is very specific to what I want and is a mixture of external code and LUA code.

Kayvon
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Kayvon »

That's my understanding as well. I've developed a few gadgets. One is for something I may want to craft and sell, so I haven't posted it. I may end up posting one or two of the others.

Even if they never add to the gadget interface, it's still really great to have. I'm glad it's in there.