Requesting Gadgets

This forum has been created for users to submit suggestions for Gadgets
hans pijpers
Model of CNC Machine: shapeoko xl

Re: Requesting Gadgets

Post by hans pijpers »

yeah, that is what I did attached thew board against the front of the machine where my spindle could still reach it and there I cut my real dovetails. but that was with trial and error and lots of waste material to try it out. Kind regards Hans

donoldham
Model of CNC Machine: Artisan II from Legacy Woodworking

Post by donoldham »

I need a way to create a contour Toolpath for cutting out plastic vacuum formed parts on my CNC. Here is a short Youtube video which shows what I am trying to accomplish:

I need a way to create a profile Toolpath that has a variable Z height that follows the 3D shape of the outside of the part to cut out.

Is there a gadget, or could a gadget be created to make generating such a Toolpath possible?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

donoldham wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:31 am
I need a way to create a profile Toolpath that has a variable Z height that follows the 3D shape of the outside of the part to cut out.
Yes there is. You need to import the model of the shape into VCarve/Aspire, create your cutout vector (use the Create Vector Boundary tool) and then create a profile toolpath from that vector but make sure you have the Project Toolpath onto 3D box checked in the toolpath.

The toolpath will then follow the contours of the shape "underneath" the profile vector.

Mikeyd
Model of CNC Machine: Cobot 15000

Post by Mikeyd »

hello i would like to create a gadget for: selecting an imported file, and rotate 90 ° ,and then set it back to x 0 y 0. is there anyone who can help me i'm stuck on the point rotation and set it back on x0 y0

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Assuming it is vectors you want to rotate you need to look at the Transform method in the SDK documentation.

BenjaminwithCNC
Model of CNC Machine: Danibrum 1325 ATC Rotary 4x1

Post by BenjaminwithCNC »

Good morning everyone. I'm getting a 3 Axis CNC with vertical and side drills for cabinet making. Software supporting these ist extremely costly (8000+++ EUR) and most of the time i use Aspire for Vcarve, and other engravings. I don't want to change it. It's great. using the side and vertical drill shouldn't be the problem, the problem is the toolpath.

Because the drill has an offset, determining the position is no problem, what would be the problem, would be that the drill should have a toolpath, entering from the side and getting out from the same position (or maybe 0.01mm movement) before rising. I saw it made manually (creating some kind of an upside down "U") and it worked.

doing this one could also add a Lamello function, so getting inside rising 1mm lowering 1 mm getting back into the middle and outwards.

If that function would be able also for vertical.... like cutting an upside down "T".

What do you think about this? Manageable?

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by litzluth »

Here is an idea for a gadget (maybe; I'm not sure what gadgets can and cannot be programmed to do).

The purpose of the proposed gadget is to avoid "cutting air."
Picture a wood blank that is stairstepped (progressively smaller x/y dimensions as Z increases--how most guitar neck heels are assembled). The existing rough/fine 3D toolpaths must cut the entire x/y area, regardless of whether there is actually any wood in that area as Z increases. So when the model tapers up into Z areas where the x/y area to be cut is quite small (e.g., the smaller stairstepped pieces of the "raw" guitar neck heel), you spend most of your time cutting air.

It would be a big improvement if Aspire could somehow recognize areas of the model where there isn’t any wood to be cut. In other words, to allow for smaller x/y material size as Z increases for toolpathing purposes.

If, for instance, a gadget could permit a "ghost" toolpath to be run that fictionally cuts away the wood that isn’t really there (because of the stairstepping), and, because of the gadget's "ghost" toolpath, (loaded and run before the "actual" R/F toolpaths) the “rough/finish” 3D model toolpaths then recognized that wood was “gone” and didn’t need to be cut, that would be a big improvement.

While I provided the guitar neck example because I happen to make guitar necks using Aspire, I am confident there are many other situations where this tool would prove to be useful and a great time saver. Thanks for considering.

willower

Post by willower »

Any chance of having a gadget for Drag Knife cutting in Cut2D? Yes, I know it is available in Cut2D Pro as well as all the other higher priced variants that Vectric supply already, I just don't want to pay an extra £288.00 for an upgrade to Cut2d Pro to get this gadget!

I am very happy long term user of Cut2D as it does (nearly) everything I want, and it does it superbly, it's just short of the ability to be able to cut out vinyl, Surely the this existing gadget could be simply ported across from VCarve or Cut2D Pro and made available for Cut2D users like me? I'm probably not the only person that wants to cut out the odd vinyl label/sign or whatever, so come on Vectric, let us poor boys have just a small bonus by making this existing gadget available in Cut2D - even if we have to pay a small price,not £288.00, to get it!

All I want for Christmas is - a Drag Knife Gadget please!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

willower wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:21 am
Any chance of having a gadget for Drag Knife cutting in Cut2D? Yes, I know it is available in Cut2D Pro as well as all the other higher priced variants that Vectric supply already, I just don't want to pay an extra £288.00 for an upgrade to Cut2d Pro to get this gadget!
All the gadget does is to make it a bit simpler to create the toolpaths using all the tools that already exist in the software (as in common with the majority of the gadgets). You can 100% use a drag knife with the standard software it's just a little bit more work.

Look at the fillet tool in Cut2D. That will create the loops you need on corners for a knife.

willower

Post by willower »

OK Adrian, if it's that easy, where exactly, and how, do I get the tool from in Cut2D to make up the new tool? - I can't even create a tool called Drag Knife as the software won't allow me to (to my knowledge anyway) - let alone specify knife offsets and swiivel depths etc.

Not really bothered too much about the filleting of the corners as my Knife setup is using a Roland Blade holder in which the diameter of the cutter itself is only 1.03mm in diameter and appears to 'cope' quite well enough with the corners as is, and the filleting tool that you are suggesting really does not work at all for interior cuts. Even exterior fillets look just wierd (depending on size).

Looks like I'm going to be out of luck with my request if everyone at Vectric is going to take the same line as you suggest.

I'll stick with my earlier view, which was that the upgrade cost of £288.00 for Cut2D Pro is somewhat over the top for what is, in essence, the same program as Cut2D with a few Gadgets added in - most of which I could quite happily live without. My preference would be Cut2D with just the Drag Knife Gadget built in as standard. As i said, I would be quite happy to pay a reasonable amount for the gadget, just not £288.00!

Not too long ago all the gadgets were free if anyone wanted to use them. Seems that Cut2D has suffered a little during the development cycles, inasmuch as that none of the current gadgets even deign to mention Cut2D. Talk about the poor relation! It should be remembered that most people starting off in this great hobby will likely be considering Cut2D (as I did) and to be honest, it is a bargain for the price and I would recommend it to anyone, it is simply the best there is. Just saying that, with a Drag Knife option it would likely be a much better option than many of the commercial competitors. Just look at how many people are using Cricut machines - and their software is pants in comparison to Vectric. It obvously does enough for them, but Cut2D is far more vesatile...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You don't create a drag knife tool. Even with the gadget you can't do that. You create a dummy tool. A endmill works fine. That defines the feed rate for the tool.

Cut2D Pro adds the features that Pro users need like nesting, toolpath templates, and bigger than 2' jobs so it's more than just gadgets.

Sorry if you took offence at the help I was trying to give. There is a lot of information out there about cutting vinyl before the gadget was conceived such as this thread - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4869

In this thread Mark form Vectric explains how to handle sharp inside corners manually - viewtopic.php?t=15139

Donek have a free spreadsheet and Vectic post processor that will create the swivel actions for the sharp corners as well - https://donektools.com/free-cnc-router- ... er-actions

The gadget isn't a one stop replacement for a vinyl cutter. Even with it you might find that hold down issues, pressure etc cause a lot of problems. I use a dedicated vinyl cutter for precisely those reasons. A CNC makes a poor vinyl cutter IMO, but a drag knife can work well for thicker material. I have cut many cardboard templates with mine.

Not sure what you mean about gadgets being free for anyone previously. There is no charge for any of the Vectric gadgets. The desktop versions of the software have never supported gadgets.

fig.11
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam C1-44OT

Post by fig.11 »

How about a banner gadget? Different tail styles, flips and curls.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

ryadia wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:04 pm
I'd really like to see 'radius all corners' updated for use with Version 9 of Vcarve Pro.
A Gadget to round the edges of a board after the corners were radiused would be very useful for me. Not sure about others.
Ryadia :idea:
The inlay toolpath can be used to radius all corners. The moulding toolpath can be used to round the edges of a board.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

fig.11 wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:51 pm
How about a banner gadget? Different tail styles, flips and curls.
That is a good one!
I have to think on this one, I will let you know that I do my best thinking when I am sleeping.
I will be working on it.
Thanks,
Jim

fig.11
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam C1-44OT

Post by fig.11 »

Good morining Jim
Im just wondering if you've had a chance to look at that banner (ribbon) gadget?