Requesting Gadgets

This forum has been created for users to submit suggestions for Gadgets
hans pijpers
Model of CNC Machine: shapeoko xl

Re: Requesting Gadgets

Post by hans pijpers »

yeah, that is what I did attached thew board against the front of the machine where my spindle could still reach it and there I cut my real dovetails. but that was with trial and error and lots of waste material to try it out. Kind regards Hans

donoldham
Model of CNC Machine: Artisan II from Legacy Woodworking

Post by donoldham »

I need a way to create a contour Toolpath for cutting out plastic vacuum formed parts on my CNC. Here is a short Youtube video which shows what I am trying to accomplish:

I need a way to create a profile Toolpath that has a variable Z height that follows the 3D shape of the outside of the part to cut out.

Is there a gadget, or could a gadget be created to make generating such a Toolpath possible?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

donoldham wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:31 am
I need a way to create a profile Toolpath that has a variable Z height that follows the 3D shape of the outside of the part to cut out.
Yes there is. You need to import the model of the shape into VCarve/Aspire, create your cutout vector (use the Create Vector Boundary tool) and then create a profile toolpath from that vector but make sure you have the Project Toolpath onto 3D box checked in the toolpath.

The toolpath will then follow the contours of the shape "underneath" the profile vector.