This forum is for users to submit their own gadgets to the community
sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

*** New *** Easy Box Maker Gadget *** New ***

Post by sharkcutup »

JimAndi5000 of Jim Andi Gadgets and Sharkcutup

Introduce

As Promised -- The NEW "EASY BOX MAKER GADGET"!!!

It is Finally HERE!!!

It has all the features and box Joint options that the "Easy Tray Maker Gadget" has but with the addition of a LID and with various LID EAR OPTIONS.

On Top No Ears
On Top Front Ear R
On Top Front Ear C
On Top Front Ear L
Recessed No Ears
Recessed Front Ear R
Recessed Front Ear C
Recessed Front Ear L
and MUCH MORE!!!

PLUS

A Feature that the Easy Tray Maker Gadget does NOT include --- a GADGET DEFAULTS RESET Function.

AND

We have even added to the Easy Box Maker Gadget all the necessary Help Buttons and associated Help Details for all Menu Interfaces.

This is Version 1.0

Supports 11.0 and Up

Install
1. Download the gadget EasyBoxMakerVer1.0.zip that is attached to this post.
2. Rename it from EasyBoxMakerVer1.0.zip to EasyBoxMakerVer1.0.vgadget
3. In Vectric Pro or Aspire click on Gadgets -> Install Gadget and navigate to where you downloaded the file to, select it and click Ok.

It should give you a pop up saying the gadget was installed and you should see EasyDrawerMaker in the Gadgets menu.

Steps for Use:

1. Setup a new drawing with the proper material size
2. Run the EasyDrawerMaker gadget
(The user may want to get into a habit of doing the next two(2) steps after each first opening the gadget.
2a) Click "About" Button.
2B) Click Gadget Reset (the user might want to get into a habit and answer the prompts.
3. Enter the proper values for the drawer opening, clearances, the materials thickness and sizes for the drawer parts
4. Open the Project menu, select where to write the BOMs
5. Open the Milling menu, check the values and select the joint type, bottom type
6. On the Main menu, select the tooling you use to mill the drawer parts
7. Press the OK button.

EasyBoxMakerVer1.0.zip
(1.68 MiB) Downloaded 219 times
Rename this Folder to EasyBoxMakerVer1.0.vgadget

Happy Carving Everyone!!! :D

Be sure to provide us with your comments, thoughts, remarks, etc... It is the only way we can know that we are on the right track in providing you the User a Quality Gadget.

Sharkcutup
(Permission Granted by JimAndi5000 of Jim Andi Gadgets)
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

avp
Model of CNC Machine: Home built 5x8

Re: *** NEW *** EASY BOX MAKER GADGET *** NEW ***

Post by avp »

Hello,
Ok, I posted in the easy tray maker topic but saw this was the new addition. I asked if it would work with Ver 10.5
I tried it and this is the result. This is the message I get and the tabs don't seem right. Unless I am doing something wrong.
Bill
Screenshot 2023-01-13 203940.jpg
Screenshot 2023-01-13 204141.jpg

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Re: *** NEW *** EASY BOX MAKER GADGET *** NEW ***

Post by sharkcutup »

To try to duplicate your issue. Need more information from you in order to resolve.

Finger Count ?
Bottom Thickness ?
Lid(YN) ? & Lid Style - ?
Lid thickness ?

And by the way you need to play with the Finger count to get a correct match! Because of the box height versus finger size calculations.

For that box height of 3" try finger count of 5

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Re: *** New *** Easy Box Maker Gadget *** New ***

Post by sharkcutup »

The Sheet Management Changed from Version 10 to 11 so yeah it does not function the same. We, JimAndi5000 and I will look into the idea of possibly creating a Version for those who are still not up to speed (11).

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Here is a bit of information about this Box Maker Gadget.

First yes it is a Box Maker Gadget and yes it will create a Lid (if chosen (Y)) !

It will create box vectors as small as 2" x 2" x 2" with or without a lid flat on top or recessed. But the user must be careful on setup for the thicknesses Ex: 2" overall box it would be kind of hard to build a box with 0.75" sides, ends, and a bottom because the inside area would thereby be insufficient. Care must be taken choosing the dimensions for the sides, ends, and bottom all co exist with each other.

Fingers are determined by calculations between the finger count, finger clearance value, and the height of the box. So you may have to use the gadget several times to get the right layout combination for the fingers.

The Gadget will create boxes without a bottom - just have to select a Bottom Style of "Mount Flat on Bottom" and delete the bottom panel vector and toolpaths after the box parts have been created. *** This may be changed in the gadget coding in the future to where the user can select whether or not they want a bottom panel created bu for now the aforementioned technique will need to be utilized.

Before using the Box Maker Gadget an efficient starting point for the Job Setup the XY Datum should be on the lower left.

The gadget was created for ease in creating the drawings and toolpaths for the parts of the box on sheets of various thicknesses as required. Once the parts and toolpaths are created it is up to the user to move the parts around on the sheets or by nesting and re-calculating toolpaths.

The sheet thicknesses will also have to be adjusted on the "SHEET" tab to match drawing area sheet thicknesses.

Oh and remember the user inputs all interact with each other so what may not be working the first time check/verify the user settings again make necessary adjustments and try the Gadget again.

When Opening the Gadget this is the sequence in which I have grown accustomed to --
1.) Job Setup --- material layout Sizes and thickness accordingly, xy datum Lower left
2.) Select and Open Gadget
3.) Click the About Button --- User May want to make this and the next steps through 6 as a HABIT when using the Gadget.
4.) Click the Gadget Reset Button to reset Gadget to the defaults per the units (inches versus mm) of the job setup.
5.) Click Yes to the yes no prompt.
6.) Click the Ok Button on the About Menu. Now the user is ready to start using the gadget.
7.) Click Project Setup to setup Project Setup Details. The Project Path is required in order for the Gadget to function. the Gadget saves information (cut-list in various formats (html, csv, dat) from the Gadget to your computer at the location the user sets up here. Click okay when finished on this menu. Now the Gadget is ready for the Box dimensioning details.

I hope that all the aforementioned items are of Help. Oh and yes there are Help Buttons with brief Help details on each Menu Interface.

Any questions or comments???

Happy Carving Everyone!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

avp

Post by avp »

Hello,
I see that the fingers need some playing around with. Makes sense. What I am wondering in why the dado for the bottom is drawn as .5" on the sides and .375 on the ends when I have the bottom set at .25"? Also does the allowance need a negative number in order to make it fit looser?
I am just playing around at this point trying to see how it all works. I did make the finger count 5 and that fixed the issue there.
Bill

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

avp wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:01 pm
Hello,
I see that the fingers need some playing around with. Makes sense. What I am wondering in why the dado for the bottom is drawn as .5" on the sides and .375 on the ends when I have the bottom set at .25"? Also does the allowance need a negative number in order to make it fit looser?
I am just playing around at this point trying to see how it all works. I did make the finger count 5 and that fixed the issue there.
Bill

Nope you do not need to input negative numbers for anything all that is compensated for in the Gadget Calculations.

Dado and LID Dado Height Definition -- Amount of material Remaining after dado is carved.

If you can provide me with more information I can look into that dado issue. Are you still trying to use Version 10.5 software???

Works Fine in Version 11.0

Bottom Thickness : .25" Dado Height Clearance .125"
.25" + .125" = .375" Bottom Thickness .25" + Dado Height Clearance .125" Equals .375" Dado Size (Bottom Panel plus Clearance)
Screenshot 2023-01-14 152725.png

Thanks,
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

sharkcutup wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:10 pm
Nope you do not need to input negative numbers for anything all that is compensated for in the Gadget Calculations.
My guess is the original question is answered via these settings:

allowance.png

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

adze_cnc wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:56 pm
sharkcutup wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:10 pm
My guess is the original question is answered via these settings:

allowance.png
I am trying to determine which Gadget the Op is referring to bc if you read the OPs posts he made an error posting here instead of Tray maker thread but the error message the Op is getting it says Box Tools instead of Tray Tools.

I am looking into the differences between the two gadgets because they should be performing similarly when it comes to those dadoes.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

JimAndi5000 of Jim Andi Gadgets and Sharkcutup

The NEW and UPDATED "EASY BOX MAKER GADGET"!!!

It is Finally HERE!!!

Major Bug Fix --

1.) Dado Size Variations Between Sides and Ends. (Thank You, AVP (Bill) for the Heads up on this Issue)

Minor Fixes --

1.) Changed Dado Width Clearance Default (from .05" to .015") (1.27mm to .381mm)
2.) Added a Note to the Milling Help Details about having to increase Part Placement Gap when User has chosen a Lid with Ears.

This is Version 1.5

Supports 11.0 and Up

Install
1. Download the gadget EasyBoxMakerVer1.5.zip that is attached to this post.
2. Rename it from EasyBoxMakerVer1.5.zip to EasyBoxMakerVer1.5.vgadget
3. In Vectric Pro or Aspire click on Gadgets -> Install Gadget and navigate to where you downloaded the file to, select it and click Ok.

It should give you a pop up saying the gadget was installed and you should see EasyBoxMaker in the Gadgets menu.

Steps for Use:

1. Setup a new drawing with the proper material size
2. Run the Easy Box Maker gadget
(The user may want to get into a habit of doing the next two(2) steps after each first opening the gadget.
2a) Click "About" Button.
2B) Click Gadget Reset (the user might want to get into a habit and answer the prompts.
3. Enter the proper values for the drawer opening, clearances, the materials thickness and sizes for the drawer parts
4. Open the Project menu, select where to write the BOMs
5. Open the Milling menu, check the values and select the joint type, bottom type
6. On the Main menu, select the tooling you use to mill the drawer parts
7. Press the OK button.

Easy Box MakerVer1.5.zip
(1.68 MiB) Downloaded 157 times
Rename this Folder to EasyBoxMakerVer1.5.vgadget

Happy Carving Everyone!!! :D

Be sure to provide us with your comments, thoughts, remarks, etc... It is the only way we can know that we are on the right track in providing you the User a Quality Gadget.

Sharkcutup
(Permission Granted by JimAndi5000 of Jim Andi Gadgets)
V-Carve Pro 11.554

avp

Post by avp »

Hello,
I was just about to reply then I saw this post about the update. That fixed the dado width issue, thank you. I was holding off upgrading to 11.5 for a long time as the new features were not particularly useful to me. As you know it focused a lot on 3d work which I do not do at present.
Anyway I did end up moving to 11.5 I had to eventually do it anyway. So obviously the sheet issue was no longer there. The dado issue was however. So I'm glad that it was fixed. I have not cut any boxes with this gadget yet just experimenting. I will let you know if there are any issues.

Thank you
Bill

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

Hello all,
Hope you're having a fantastic day and you are hip deep in wood chips! :)

Just for your information, you should know that Sharkcutup has been the person driving this gadget development. I've been providing a little bit of guidance here and there but he's been doing the heavy lifting. I'm amazed of how fast he is picked up the gadget development language and testing process.

I couldn't be happier and more proud of the work he has achieved.

It won't be long before the student is outperforming the teacher.
Thanks,
Jim

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Thank you, Jim for the praise and kind words!!!

Hello Forum Members!!!

Jim and I would definitely appreciate seeing and reading about your successes or failures in using this Gadget. I intend to create a video of how to use this gadget but at the present time I am spending much of my time in testing, fixing, and refining this particular gadget. So please do not be afraid to add your own experiences, comments, and/remarks on the use of this Gadget or any of the "Easy" Gadgets. Add them to their associated thread for Either Jim or I to review.

Thank You All for Your Interest in Jim Andi Gadgets! :D

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

AcBCDN
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: HomeBuilt

Post by AcBCDN »

This look great!

In the milling defaults section there are a number of tolerances for clearances etc. There isn't one for cut depth tolerance. correct? If so, my default zero position is the machine bed. So, I don't really need to the additional 20 thou depth added and would like to adjust that.

Future consideration?

Thanks,

Andy

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

AcBCDN wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:09 am
This look great!

In the milling defaults section there are a number of tolerances for clearances etc. There isn't one for cut depth tolerance. correct? If so, my default zero position is the machine bed. So, I don't really need to the additional 20 thou depth added and would like to adjust that.

Future consideration?

Thanks,

Andy
We are Aware of this issue and it will be fixed in the next version. Thank You for pointing this out. In the meantime the user can adjust/remove 20 thou from the Cut Depth(F) in the Side or End Dado Pocket Toolpaths.

You Guys Rock,
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554