Market_Idea

This forum is for users to submit their own gadgets to the community
jsheley
Model of CNC Machine: expensive_pile_of_junk

Market_Idea

Post by jsheley »

Will you (Vectric Community) , please, confer your opinion for the market value on the following proposed technology? (please accept my neophyte lexicon)

Problem description:
Occasionally a fault will inflict a “restart” during a 3-axis mill execution. The restart software/firmware obliterates the X,Y,Z origin information. A restart necessitates:
1) Replacement of starting material(wood, metal, plastic)
2) Excision process re-start from time zero.
Another case where “origin loss” occurs is when you detach work from anchorage. If you wish to resume mill work, you must re-create X,Y,Z information on excision implement (end-mill) and the X,Y,Z information on the unfinished work piece.

Market question:

If I find a restart immune preservation technique for the X,Y,Z information (accuracy <0p1mm ) in the starting material (plastic, metal, wood,G10) would I have a valuable technology worthy of a patent application? Does the market place already offer facile remedies for the above described problems?

John

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Market_Idea

Post by Adrian »

XYZ origin isn't lost on my machine if I restart the software. Also if there is an error it recovers the XYZ as they are closed loop steppers. Full servo motors know where they are as well so don't lose position.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Like Adrian, XYZ origin is not lost on my machine. Even if I did lose XYZ I can re-home using my limit switches with extremely high and repeatable accuracy.

Edge finders are available for repositioning material.

- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

jsheley
Model of CNC Machine: expensive_pile_of_junk

Post by jsheley »

I thank you for your replies,

How common is the following scenario?

Machine A completes an excision process (EG milling) to satisfaction. The work piece must be transferred to Machine B for further high precision mechanical operations.

The only example I can think of is printed circuit manufacturing.

Step 1: Printed board generation (photolithography, followed by excision (milling) of board mounting features.
Step 2: Surface mount component attachments (a.k.a pick and place operations)

Do you know of other markets (or CNC applications) where work reattachment on a different machine requires regeneration of precise X,Y,Z coordinate generation?

John

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Not meaning to be rude, but it is pretty obvious you are not familiar with modern manufacturing techniques.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

There are a thousand ways to transfer your coordinates to another machine if you have to move your workpiece.

Any machine worth buying has limit switches and will maintain its XYZ home coordinates (or local coordinates) if the machine is shut down.

For cheap machines that do not, you can buy things like the triple edge finder or use a probe to find exact coordinates. Since those machines are always losing steps, its good to have something like that to re-zero.
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com