Then use the gadget installer: Gadgets/Install New Gadget
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Gasawdust
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AVID 48x48

Re: Fretboard Maker

Post by Gasawdust »

For some reason Windows disassociated .vgadget from Aspire. Had me stumped for a while.

gjdvectric
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft M700

Post by gjdvectric »

This looked like a great tool but I fear my novice status as an Aspire user means I am doing something wrong in using it. I loaded the gadget fine and ran a few alternate multiscale fretboards all of which looked good on screen. But when I went to try and calculate the various toolpaths I keep getting the same problem. I seem to be able to cut out the fretboard fine but the subsequent radiusing seems to offset to the left of the fretboard (leaving a ridge on the right side of the fretboard) and the fret slots seem to offset to the right (leaving fret slots that don't extend all the way across the fretboard). Given no-one else seems to have mentioned this problem, I assume I've done something wrong but struggling to see what it is. Any thoughts?

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by litzluth »

Well, first, your sequence sounds off. I always radius the fretboard first, then cut the slots making sure the fret slot toolpath has "project toolpath on 3D model checked." I don't know how you would do it cutting the slots first and then radiusing the fretboard. I'm guessing your fret tang depth is maybe 1.5 mm, so radiusing over that would knock it out over the edges. Try this toolpath sequence: 1) radiusing 2) fret slots 3) fretboard profile. (if you were doing any inlays, you would also do them after radiusing, again making the inlay toolpath "project onto 3D model)
If you want to attach your model we could probably help you further.

gjdvectric
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft M700

Post by gjdvectric »

Thanks for your response. I've had a closer look at the model and it looks like when I use the Fret Board Maker gadget I introduced problems by attempting to use the gadget to centre the fret board on my job setup. If I instead just leave the gadget setting for the Fretboard Job Centre at X = 0 and Y = 0 and then use the Transform Object within Vectric to centre the job all the components seem to line up.

StefanK
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD4

Post by StefanK »

All the components should be aligned when the gadget creates them regardless of where you set the center BUT the various components are created on separate layers. This mean if you move/transform any component you must insure all the overlayed components, including the 3d model, on each related layer must be selected and translat3d together.

It sounds like you came to this point/conclusuon from another direction but I hope this clarification helps. The important point is move all desired components at once to keep them aligned. Realigning them separately can be done but it takes a bit of care.

The tool path sequence described in previous response is definately the way to go.

Stefan