Tapered Inlay (Paul Zank method) Plug with Rough Clearing: release

This forum is for users to submit their own gadgets to the community
adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Tapered Inlay (Paul Zank method) Plug with Rough Clearing: release

Post by adze_cnc »

Discussion regarding this gadget (bugs, plaudits, suggestions, etc.) can be found at this thread: viewtopic.php?p=282242 . I'd like this thread to be for new version announcements only.
I have wanted to make some inlays with my ShopBot but ... the resulting inlay would have rounded edges.

I remembered that people who do intarsia will often angle their blade and rotate the piece as they cut to make up for the thickness of the blade. The resulting pieces fit perfectly even though they fit on a bevel. Could one achieve a similar effect using v-bits? — Paul Zank (b. 1948– d. 2019) and Damian Durrant. "Procedure for designing and machining v-inlay projects", 2006. (A simple way to make inlays viewtopic.php?p=4146)
Cutting the inlay plug (a.k.a male) for tapered inlays using the Paul Zank method can be a challenge for lesser powered CNC machines. The method sets the starting depth of a "V-Carve / Engraving" (V-Carve) toolpath equal to the thickness of material to inlay into a base socket (a.k.a. female). This combined with the step down for carving v-bit or the area clearance square-end cutter could mean an initial cut that well exceeds the capabilities of the machine's router / spindle.

This limitation might prevent people with such machines from realizing a tapered inlay project.

tapered-inlay.jpg

A method to overcome the depth problem is to create a number of "roughing" V-Carve paths to remove the material above the inlay starting depth. For example if the amount of material to inlay into the base is 0.25 inches and the stepdown for the bits is 0.0625" then four roughing toolpaths would be needed. Creating those toolpaths manually for each inlay project can be a burden.

This gadget automatically creates those "roughing" toolpaths. It also creates the "finish" tapered inlay 'V-Carve /Engraving' toolpath.

This gadget works in Aspire and VCarve Pro version 9 to 11.

I have not tried it in version 10.x but as that version uses the same toolpath selection as v11.x it should work. I have also not tested it in version less than v9.x but I suspect it might work. Choose a tool and if you get no errors it should work.

Because the forum software doesn't allow attachments with ".vgadget" extension the file is uploaded as "Tapered_Inlay v1_0.zip" rename this to "Tapered_Inlay v1_0.vgadget" before installing.

—Steven

To use this gadget just follow these simple steps:
  1. Select your inlay plug's closed vectors
  2. Go to "Gadgets" on the toolbar and select the "Tapered Inlay" Gadget
  3. With the Gadget running you will have the following options
    • Material to inlay into Base: thickness of the material inlaid into the base socket
    • Air gap between Inlay and Base: prevents inlay plug and inlay base being glued together. Also used as space to slip a bandsaw blade between to separate to inlay plug waste from the inlay
      Select V-Bit Tool: angled tool for the "V-Carve / Engraving Toolpath". You must use the same angle as for the base socket.
      Select End Mill Tool: Select either an End Mill to clear large flat areas
  4. Click "OK" to use the specified options and the Gadget will now create your toolpath(s)
Attachments
Tapered_Inlay v1_0.zip
Rename to "Tapered_Inlay v1_0.vgadget" after saving
(44.49 KiB) Downloaded 362 times

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Re: Tapered Inlay (Paul Zank method) Plug with Rough Clearing: release

Post by adze_cnc »

I suppose a screenshot of the gadget in operation should have been included. Sorry.

tapered_inlay_gadget.png

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

And the results:

tapered-inlay-results.png

Ollie
Model of CNC Machine: Custom built machine using UCCNC

Post by Ollie »

Hi

I have attempted to install this gadget. I downloaded it and renamed the extension to.vgadget. I have installed it and it says its ready to use but is not showing in the list under gadgets ?

Ollie

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Close Aspire/VCarve and reopen
Steve

adova
Model of CNC Machine: Avid CNC Pro

Post by adova »

When choosing the inlay vcarve bit, the tool selection list is filtered to only show v-bits. In my case, I am using the Amana 45611-k (15 deg bit) which is technically classified as an engraving bit. Would you be able to adjust the tool list filter to include both types?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

That could be done. Will look at it this evening.

Since the tip is only 5/1000 of an inch you easily call it a v-bit and no one else would know.

adova
Model of CNC Machine: Avid CNC Pro

Post by adova »

I have already modified my local version to handle it - I am happy to upload a version 1.1 if you are ok with that...

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

Version 1.3 gadget update:
  • cleaned up inherited mm to inches conversion to avoid 6.35mm = 0.249999999 inches
  • tool picking would sometimes fail for users of Vectric version 10.0x products
  • can now select engraving bits as well as v-bits. I thought there was a reason to limit only to v-bits but I can't remember why.
See the first post in this thread for installation instructions.
Attachments
Tapered_Inlay v1_3.zip
(44.65 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

Version 1.4 gadget update:
  • allows user specified toolpath name
  • saves that name to the registry for future use
I was putting together a multiple material project and wanted all inlay plug cutting toolpaths in one file. So, I needed to give them different names. I could have renamed each individually or I could get the gadget to do it for me. I chose the latter.

Installation Instructions

Because the forum software doesn't allow attachments with ".vgadget" extension the file is uploaded as "Tapered_Inlay v1_4.zip". Installation instructions are the same for both new installation or in upgrading a previous version:
  1. download the gadget attached below as: Tapered_Inlay v1_4.zip
  2. rename it to: Tapered_Inlay v1_4.vgadget
  3. in Vectric Pro or Aspire click on then menu option: Gadgets -> Install Gadget
  4. navigate to where the downloaded and renamed file is
  5. select it and click Ok.
VCarve/Aspire should give you a pop-up saying the gadget was installed and you should see "Tapered Inlay" in the Gadgets menu.

Note: after downloading the ZIP file do not extract it but continue on to the rename operation.

This gadget works in Aspire and VCarve Pro version 9 to 11.

I have not tried it in version 10.x but as that version uses the same toolpath selection as v11.x it should work. I have also not tested it in a version less than v9.x but I suspect it might work. Choose a tool and if you get no errors it should work.
Attachments
Tapered_Inlay v1_4.zip
Rename to "Tapered_Inlay v1_4.vgadget" after saving
(44.96 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

ozymax
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Post by ozymax »

adze_cnc wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:50 pm
I have not tried it in version 10.x but as that version uses the same toolpath selection as v11.x it should work. I have also not tested it in a version less than v9.x but I suspect it might work. Choose a tool and if you get no errors it should work.
I'm still in the past using V4.5 Aspire and thought I'd try and install the gadget.
I renamed the file and placed it in the gadget file location of all my other gadgets.
When I click on the Tapered Inlay file I get this error message.
Error.jpg
All my other installed gadgets don't seem to have the vgadget file ext.
So am I plum out of luck trying to install it in V4.5?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

In your case perhaps you actually do need to keep the extension as .zip. And unzip it. The result will be a folder named: Tapered_Inlay

That directory with its 5 files (two .txt; and one each of .lua, .htm, and .jpg) could be placed where your other gadgets are. Then you would need to restart Aspire 4.5 and with hope it would be available.

Steven

ozymax
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Post by ozymax »

Ok, I now have the gadget appearing in the Aspire gadget list.
I select a closed vector and open the gadget and now get this error message.
Error.jpg
Any idea?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

I guess that I always knew it would be a long-shot that it would run “out of the box” on Aspire v4.5. I wish I could find a PDF of the gadget programming documentation of that era.

I’ll see if I have some of Paul Rowntree’s gadgets (or others posted here) that were created for Aspire v4.5 and compare them with this.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

Discussion on this error moved to here.