Easy Dovetail Maker 5.0

This forum is for users to submit their own gadgets to the community
AcBCDN
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: HomeBuilt

Re: Easy Dovetail Maker 5.0

Post by AcBCDN »

Hi Andy,
I am sorry about the data loss. I do not think I can prevent the ini file from being overwritten when updating or reinstalling. But as I think about it, I could add the version number to the folder name. That would address the version updates but would not address any reinstall. I could move the bit data to the registry, but the number of bit may need to be limited due to the data structure. How many bits do you think you need?
Hi Jim,

No worries. I was testing. :)

I guess that is a limitation. I actually was just thinking of buying one or two of the bits you had in the file. 1) Because I am lazy. 2) Because you probably already tested them. And I guess 3) Because it will always be there. LOL

Another possible work around I could see is having a default-DovetailTool.ini. And when the script starts it looks for the DovetailTool.ini and if it exists it does nothing. If not, then it copies or renames the default-DovetailTool.ini to DovetailTool.ini. Thus, preserving any user entered tools from being removed.

The one challenge with the above method would be if you modified the .ini structure; which could cause problems.

Since I have not looked at the SDK documentation I do not know how easy or difficult this would be.

It is still pretty slick the way it works. So, thanks.

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

AcBCDN wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:58 am

Hi Andy,
I am sorry about the data loss. I do not think I can prevent the ini file from being overwritten when updating or reinstalling. But as I think about it, I could add the version number to the folder name. That would address the version updates but would not address any reinstall. I could move the bit data to the registry, but the number of bit may need to be limited due to the data structure. How many bits do you think you need?
Hi Jim,

No worries. I was testing. :)

I guess that is a limitation. I actually was just thinking of buying one or two of the bits you had in the file. 1) Because I am lazy. 2) Because you probably already tested them. And I guess 3) Because it will always be there. LOL

Another possible work around I could see is having a default-DovetailTool.ini. And when the script starts it looks for the DovetailTool.ini and if it exists it does nothing. If not, then it copies or renames the default-DovetailTool.ini to DovetailTool.ini. Thus, preserving any user entered tools from being removed.

The one challenge with the above method would be if you modified the .ini structure; which could cause problems.

Since I have not looked at the SDK documentation I do not know how easy or difficult this would be.

It is still pretty slick the way it works. So, thanks.
Hi Andy,
Too late... I have made the change in the code to store the data in the registry. I am updating the code to read from the registry and should have a new version in the morning.
Thanks,
Jim

mattsanf
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by mattsanf »

I am having the same trouble that the gadget will not install in Aspire 9.5...any thoughts would be great! Same error as above

Matt

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

mattsanf wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:53 pm
I am having the same trouble that the gadget will not install in Aspire 9.5...any thoughts would be great! Same error as above

Matt
Can you install this one? (just a test)
Attachments
EasyDovetailMaker.zip
(2.3 MiB) Downloaded 181 times
Thanks,
Jim

mattsanf

Post by mattsanf »

sorry no, it still says "Failed to extract vgadget archive"

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

mattsanf wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:17 pm
sorry no, it still says "Failed to extract vgadget archive"
Very Perplexing
Okay, let's walk the process:
1. Download the EasyDovetailMaker.zip file.
2. Open EasyDovetailMaker.zip file and copy the EasyDovetailMaker.vgadget file to your desktop
3. Open Vectric (VCarve PRO or Aspire)
4. Use the Gadget menu function "Install New Gadget" and select EasyDovetailMaker.vgadget file on your desktop.

Is this the process you are using and you are getting an error?

If you follow this process get the error, can you open the file with notepad? If you can what do you see inside the file (should be readable text)?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Jim

mattsanf

Post by mattsanf »

That is the process I was using...but you are correct, when opened in notepad it is not readable text...this is the example:

PK û¦°P»A­»¿ 8 " EasyDovetailMaker/DovetailTool.iniÍÓAo›0ð;ßÁR{X/Ô68F“|HaUµ-j³Ó´ƒ[ž«ÄDàLãÛÏ&”nh°\Ê?ƒŸÍO.ĤË÷.Ð'Y7(-‚‘ª@+ù•›^ÉQL±ß4ÑgµCKCU—ÚÎý«óñò½ï˝ԭ˲@‹q„Y=©ÐZí÷÷;“¥°A¿JO÷ä®P†ï¾üð½›Jê\ô=}/“•¹/EÛÛ>Wf©7b‹Ç­Ô/©’Â5hŸ;¾-jA}oÝìAÏÔ¾úôÆl ¸}=9˜ö¶l?d+AbŒ­Í-@þ
j÷ËŠƒÞ´±¿iej¡ôóÖ®n77†úz§,à}éfÖPDÎàdãœøÎí@'y²×žxàù¿œÔbàÙÖïGÔ²‰ò”3|"yOŠñTçØ¡òQS~jÌÇPékT:5<•ŽÇ”vªñÛ¿~JH].úÒP2CóÍO2–Ðp˜Ðp&ƒ™••*‘O (ä|‘%BÊB{ð)1]5ö»{ÎcïIm»ÏP¥Á0¡]@ÙДă€FÓLÑ߈>\]Ò0`‹«Ö¿PK ÙB²P|›å€v# Œ©$ 1 EasyDovetailMaker/Easy Dovetail Maker Ver5.20.pdf¤ºT“ͺ6L'ÄŒ @èIh) ¡…Þ¥j„ªt°QB¨B€ÐD”^”&EéÒTš 6ª(Š‚ˆŠŠúÅ÷uï³Ïù÷ù¾½ÖŸµ’Ü3ÏÌÝçžkf=2¶F&Êh
^™•Õ‡3¼@m4Ž‚‡xòêêªZSÈá±8ZÕŽQGa´P(U¸6Z]ÕŽFa4µµT­áŒªãï§hmŒ¦ªÜ®‰Ö€khhzêëóR‚}~sƒÿóÔ¡ñ/2Œ(Þ!>[røÉf‹r"êdp\CÕ6œâàGcôõUMNDRÂUMN#)OQ%¹ëbMÔ44
Œ55Œ´Ô"

mattsanf

Post by mattsanf »

BTW, I use Aspire under Fusion on a Mac if that matters...but I have never had an issue with Aspire or gadgets in this configuration before. I wonder if the other person that reported this error was also using Fusion?

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

The EasyDovetail.vgadget is a zip file.

I made an error... Rename the file from a ".vgadget" to a ".zip" and open the Zip file and you sould see a ".lua" file inside. you should be able to read the .lua file with Notepad.

One more time please.
Thanks,
Jim

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

Watching as I have same issues....
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

BillK wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:06 pm
Watching as I have same issues....
Hi Bill,
Can do a quick test for me?

Rename this file from ".c" to ".vgadget" and try it.

If that fails, rename the file to a ".zip" and open it and look for a ".lua" file and open in Notepad.
Attachments
EasyDovetailToolDatabaseVer2.c
This is a compressed file
(63.48 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Thanks,
Jim

TJCornish
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger III

Post by TJCornish »

I was just signing in to report that I tried your earlier file and it still didn't work even though the LUA is readable, but I saw you just posted an updated version. I downloaded that, renamed from .c to .vgadget and it installed correctly in 9.5. Thanks!

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Okay,

We have a plan. I will not make the ".vgadget" file. I will let you rename the Zip file to ".vgadget"

Thank you for your help guys!
Thanks,
Jim

mattsanf

Post by mattsanf »

Worked for me too! Thanks!

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Hello All,

Here is the most up-to-date zip file of the Easy Tool Gadgets.

Rename the "EasyTools20200526.zip" file to "EasyTools.vgadget" and run the "Install New Gadget..." from the Gadgets menu.

Please let me know if you have any issues.
Attachments
EasyTools20200526.zip
Rename to EasyTools.vgadget
(2.57 MiB) Downloaded 289 times
Thanks,
Jim