Box creator allowance and tabs

This forum is for users to submit their own gadgets to the community
erh
Model of CNC Machine: Industrial

Box creator allowance and tabs

Post by erh »

With the box creator gadget, is there a way to control the locations of the hold down tabs or eliminate them all together? Presently I delete the box creator tool path to get rid of the tabs and recalculate, but then my "allowance" values are gone along with the tabs and my box joints are very tight.

Also, is there an easy way to adjust the "allowance" setting independent of the box creator gadget to loosen up the joints? Thanks.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Box creator allowance and tabs

Post by Adrian »

If you're using the square joint option rather than dovetail you can edit the toolpath as it's a normal toolpath. No need to delete it and create a new one.

The allowance can be controlled via the toolpath as normal.

erh
Model of CNC Machine: Industrial

Post by erh »

I don't follow what you are saying. If I am doing box ends how can I adjust the allowance and edit the tabs at the same time?

Is there a detailed written instruction for the box creator?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The only instructions with the gadgets are the ones on the gadgets website.

What I'm saying is don't delete the toolpath as you say you are doing. Just edit it and then you won't lose any values that are set in it. They are just normal pocket and profile toolpaths.

All the gadget is doing is automating the drawing and the creation of the toolpaths. It's not adding anything that doesn't already exist in the software.

Mark Jones
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 5

Post by Mark Jones »

How much allowance should I allow for glue on these straight box joints while using this box gadget? .01? inches
Mark Jones

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Depends on the material, size of the bit and how "tight" your machine is (plus a few other factors). Basically, as with a lot of this type of work, it's a matter of experimenting and then keeping notes of what works for that combination.

Mark Jones
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mark Jones »

Well my first cut was unsuccessful. Too tight. So no allowance is a fail. I think I added about .005 for box joints on the jig I built 8 months or so ago. So I put that in box gadgets allowance field. When Vcarve Pro loads backup I am getting a error on the pocket cut for the lid. Vcarve pro doesn't load the settings up on it's pocket settings. It just lists the two toolpaths. One you can click on and edit it the profile one. The lid or the pocket it's bombing. Also noticed Vcarve Pro has some 3d and 2d view glitches. I was using Vcarve Desktop and it worked great with no unexpected things happening.

Just added a new spoil board to the one I had. When the bits are to high up in the collet it bottoms out the z lowest travel. So I added another mdf spoil board to it and it's glue is drying now no more bits causing the z to reach it's limit.. Should be cutting some gadget boxes out in a hour or so.

I am really enjoying this software and the shark. Made some 30 projects with it. Got the dust and noise issues fixed with a large blue foam box.

So many great videos and helps out here. Thanks for you tips.

Mark Jones
Mark Jones

Mark Jones
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mark Jones »

Made a new box with the .006 tolerance setting and the box came out perfect. This gadget was what inspired me to upgrade to pro. Good job on this tool.

I did notice the tool path for the pocket is not loading up in pro. It lists the pocket and the profile and you can edit the profile but not the pocket. When I calculate the pocket it errors out. I didn't need a top on this box so it didn't matter at this time.

Going to put the box gadget to work making some storage boxes for the RV. Again nice tool.
Mark Jones

Mark Jones
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mark Jones »

erh wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:17 pm
I don't follow what you are saying. If I am doing box ends how can I adjust the allowance and edit the tabs at the same time?

Is there a detailed written instruction for the box creator?
I just recreated them using the new allowance in the gadget. I did have to move them and then recalculate but it worked great. .006 inches worked very nicely.
Mark Jones

Mark Jones
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mark Jones »

I made some new quarter inch plywood boxes and found setting the allowance to .01 was a wonderful fit. I used .005 for a allowance but had to pound the boxes together from time to time. .01 they almost snap together with no tools.

Great tool.

Made a dowel maker and made a box to fit it. Nice to have a customized box maker! So much better than the plastic bins that crack and break.
A few observations on using the Box Gadget!
Mark Jones