Line Bore gadget

This forum is for users to submit their own gadgets to the community
sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: Line Bore gadget

Post by sharkcutup »

Am i correct in saying that this is not a completed gadget?

It places pin holes at ends of material and the back holes are not 37mm from back end.

This could be a handy gadget if you were just building European style cabinets. Or could this pin hole style be incorporated into the Cabinet Maker gadget?

Just some thoughts/opinions!🙂
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

sharkcutup wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:20 pm
Am i correct in saying that this is not a completed gadget?

It places pin holes at ends of material and the back holes are not 37mm from back end.

This could be a handy gadget if you were just building European style cabinets. Or could this pin hole style be incorporated into the Cabinet Maker gadget?

Just some thoughts/opinions!🙂
Sharkcutup
Hello Sharkcutup,

You may be correct.
My style of gadget development is to create a framework and let the user audience provide feedback on how the gadget should be critiqued.
I am welcome to give my services to develop this or other gadget(s) if you are willing to provide feedback and guidance.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Jim

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Yup! Well I have not looked in detail at your pin hole style layout in the Cabinet Maker gadget. I was just thinking that rather than creating another gadget just incorporate an option of European style shelf pin holes in the Cabinet Maker gadget.

The European 32mm system of shelf pin holes does have its benefits.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

sharkcutup wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:28 pm
Yup! Well I have not looked in detail at your pin hole style layout in the Cabinet Maker gadget. I was just thinking that rather than creating another gadget just incorporate an option of European style shelf pin holes in the Cabinet Maker gadget.

The European 32mm system of shelf pin holes does have its benefits.

Sharkcutup
Well that sounds like a plan, Do you have specifications and will you commit to testing the gadget?
Thanks,
Jim

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

by jimandi5000 Well that sounds like a plan, Do you have specifications and will you commit to testing the gadget?
I can get you the details for the 32mm System layout that should not be a problem. There are other individuals here who would be interested in having the option of the 32mm System too and would definitely add their input here.

Yes, I would be willing to test the gadget checking for conformity and functionality. I understand some of the LUA scripting. Learning more with every chance I get in reading a LUA script,

In actual CNC test run I would of course have to separate parts to specific sheets due to the size of my CNC machine (only 1/4 sheets 24w by 48") and maybe even resize cabinet sizes to accommodate my machine capabilities.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

sharkcutup wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:24 pm
by jimandi5000 Well that sounds like a plan, Do you have specifications and will you commit to testing the gadget?
I can get you the details for the 32mm System layout that should not be a problem. There are other individuals here who would be interested in having the option of the 32mm System too and would definitely add their input here.

Yes, I would be willing to test the gadget checking for conformity and functionality. I understand some of the LUA scripting. Learning more with every chance I get in reading a LUA script,

In actual CNC test run I would of course have to separate parts to specific sheets due to the size of my CNC machine (only 1/4 sheets 24w by 48") and maybe even resize cabinet sizes to accommodate my machine capabilities.

Sharkcutup
Hello Sharkcutup,
This is excellent!
As always, my source code is 100% open and I am radically passionate to encourage everyone to learn the gadget language.

Let's get started...

Send me the 32 mm specifications and any thoughts you have on how the graphical user interface (Menus) should work. I will start writing out a some software specification and this will be a collaborative effort.
I'll send you my personal email in a private message.
Thanks,
Jim

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Sent you Several Emails Please Check and let me know if received.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Stay Tuned!! Coming Soon!!! In the works and beta testing before submitting here!!

Definitely would appreciate original thread OP's opinion on the user interface as posted by jimandi5000 earlier post. Is this Gadget going in the right direction???

Does the error message "Attempt to call a nil value" occur before or after user interface comes up into view? As Adrian has pointed out
the latest submission of the gadget does not have this error when using it.

I have found however during my own beta testing that once you do get the user interface up over your drawing window and fill out everything but don't list tools before submitting it will give you an error message. You must enter the tools you plan on using for this gadget does create toolpaths based on your information provided.

Also value other forum members input too!!! :)

Again Guys Stay Tuned --- Gadget is in the Works!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

Will this gadget be incorporated into the cabinet gadget or a stand alone gadget?

Will this be based per cabinet or per panel?

Will this output to multiple sheets in v11 or a single sheet?

Would you be able to lay out your cabinet or door panels in v11, then select the panel vector, then specify the line boring parameters for that panel and others selected?

Will this be based on the European 32mm system or user defined spacing?

If this is based on the 32mm system, will all dimensions for the job be in metric or can you specify imperial panel/cabinet dimensions and have the metric input for spacing?

Will there be consideration for euro hinge boring, RTA Fasteners, or drawer slide mounting hole boring without line boring the entire panel?

Not looking for answers, Just some random questions.

Remember the KISS method...

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

ElevationCreations wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:58 pm
Will this gadget be incorporated into the cabinet gadget or a stand alone gadget?

Will this be based per cabinet or per panel?

Will this output to multiple sheets in v11 or a single sheet?

Would you be able to lay out your cabinet or door panels in v11, then select the panel vector, then specify the line boring parameters for that panel and others selected?

Will this be based on the European 32mm system or user defined spacing?

If this is based on the 32mm system, will all dimensions for the job be in metric or can you specify imperial panel/cabinet dimensions and have the metric input for spacing?

Will there be consideration for euro hinge boring, RTA Fasteners, or drawer slide mounting hole boring without line boring the entire panel?

Not looking for answers, Just some random questions.

Remember the KISS method...
These are all great questions.

Your question on v11 and sheets - The Vectric Dev team is working on the Gadget Software Development Kit (SDK) to document how to Create, Delete, Read, and Change the New Sheet functions in version 11. As soon as the SDK is updated, I will add the new sheet functions to the Easy Gadget collection.

For the other questions, I am researching the 32mm system at this time (Gadget, 32mm Spec's, etc...). I need the user group to provide input on how to proceed. So please tell me what you want.

As my dad told me 1000 times. Know where you are going before getting in the truck. :wink:

I need to know what you need before I start writing code. :)
Thanks,
Jim

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

I have been testing the Easy Cabinet Maker 12.1 Version (keeping in mind the 32mm Cabinet System being implemented into it)

For an example I entered converted metric dimensions for some of the standard 32mm system dimensions such as 32mm (1.260") pin hole spacing Top/Bot, 37mm (1.457") from Front to pin holes, 43.8mm (1.724") from Back pin hole spacing BUT with a 5mm (.197") (shelf pin hole size) the Gadget would display error messages which evidently have been created for the imperial system. After all my testing I firmly believe that this gadget can be created/modified/adjusted to satisfy both the Imperial and European Style Cabinetry Systems.
from Jim -- For the other questions, I am researching the 32mm system at this time (Gadget, 32mm Spec's, etc...). I need the user group to provide input on how to proceed. So please tell me what you want.
Just my Thoughts/Comments!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

jimandi5000 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:41 pm

Your question on v11 and sheets - The Vectric Dev team is working on the Gadget Software Development Kit (SDK) to document how to Create, Delete, Read, and Change the New Sheet functions in version 11. As soon as the SDK is updated, I will add the new sheet functions to the Easy Gadget collection.
After thinking about this for a bit, it may be more universal to have a separate gadget which you could select a panel or closed vectors to define which boring you want to create and place the vectors either on the layer selected or a sub-layer for the vectors selected. This would also allow the line boring to be done either as panels are cut from the sheet or as a separate operation after the panels are cut.
This method does place more responsibility on the user to understand the system and configuration.

There are a couple of challenges I see with incorporating to cabinet maker
  • Line boring rear offset. The rear panel thickness and rear panel recess will adjust the offset of the rear line of holes.
  • Face Frame or Edge Banding placed at the edge of the panel. This will impact the front offset.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

by ElevationCreations - There are a couple of challenges I see with incorporating to cabinet maker
Line boring rear offset. The rear panel thickness and rear panel recess will adjust the offset of the rear line of holes.
Face Frame or Edge Banding placed at the edge of the panel. This will impact the front offset.
Line Boring Rear Offset - In most applications the 32mm system does not care what happens behind the back system row. While some find balanced system rows more efficient, having system rows an equal distance (typ 37mm) from the front and back of the panels is not a requirement. If the machinery/methods are available, matching the rear system row to the rear drawer slide hole (multiple of 32mm) may be the most efficient route. Taken from Balanced Panels Section--- https://davelers.com/32mm/Panels/

While there are both advantages and disadvantages to having the rear system row be 37mm from the back edge, it doesn't matter what the distance from the system rows to the back of the panel is. https://davelers.com/32mm/Basics/157.html

There is a vast quantity of hardware available that uses mounting holes some multiple of 32mm apart. https://davelers.com/32mm/Basics/157.html

Face Frame or Edge Banding --- Agreed, there probably would be an impact if an individual was to mix cabinet styles (Imperial vs European).

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

CarlosFandango
Model of CNC Machine: Mantech 1325

Post by CarlosFandango »

Hi all.

First post from me.

Ive just got my first CNC and just getting to grips with it , exploring the options available and came across the Easy Cabinet Maker, down loaded it but initial thoughts were , its quite traditional cabinet construction, where as im more used to the speed of the 32mm system for kitchen units etc.
Construction is usually , cutting the components out on a panel saw and boring the shelf , dowel, hinge holes etc. on a multi borer, then gluing and screwing together. The CNC was purchased for speeding up the hole boring parts and for a bit more accuracy on the final dims of the units, the only problem with the cnc now is that i cant drill the end grain for the top and bottom parts of the units. so looking at using face fit fittings, namely the Rafix form Hafele (which i occasionally use no) or the Lamello Cabineo.

So the reason for the post, was my interest in this Gadget and some suggestions of what would be useful to me and i guess a lot of other people who use this system of construction.

Height x width x depth panel thickness for cab component sizes.

No. of shelves , drawers etc.

Hinge holes 5mm 32mm c/c, a line of shelf holes, construction holes 5mm , 20mm for rafix 9.5mm centre from edge, cabineo holes 3 x
15mm, holes for drawer runners Euro screws 5mm.

An option for no plinth/ kicker, as most are on plastic adjustable legs with clip on plinths/kickers.

Backs are usually grooved in the sides, with the top and bottom panels left short to meet the back panel and be screwed in from the back.

Simple :D

Sorry if that sound to demanding for my first post ....but you did ask for feed back :lol:

Thanks Russ
From sunny Blighty

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

CarlosFandango wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:27 pm
Hi all.

First post from me.

Ive just got my first CNC and just getting to grips with it , exploring the options available and came across the Easy Cabinet Maker, down loaded it but initial thoughts were , its quite traditional cabinet construction, where as im more used to the speed of the 32mm system for kitchen units etc.
Construction is usually , cutting the components out on a panel saw and boring the shelf , dowel, hinge holes etc. on a multi borer, then gluing and screwing together. The CNC was purchased for speeding up the hole boring parts and for a bit more accuracy on the final dims of the units, the only problem with the cnc now is that i cant drill the end grain for the top and bottom parts of the units. so looking at using face fit fittings, namely the Rafix form Hafele (which i occasionally use no) or the Lamello Cabineo.

So the reason for the post, was my interest in this Gadget and some suggestions of what would be useful to me and i guess a lot of other people who use this system of construction.

Height x width x depth panel thickness for cab component sizes.

No. of shelves , drawers etc.

Hinge holes 5mm 32mm c/c, a line of shelf holes, construction holes 5mm , 20mm for rafix 9.5mm centre from edge, cabineo holes 3 x
15mm, holes for drawer runners Euro screws 5mm.

An option for no plinth/ kicker, as most are on plastic adjustable legs with clip on plinths/kickers.

Backs are usually grooved in the sides, with the top and bottom panels left short to meet the back panel and be screwed in from the back.

Simple :D

Sorry if that sound to demanding for my first post ....but you did ask for feed back :lol:

Thanks Russ
From sunny Blighty
Hi Russ,

Can you post a drawing or two on what the end product you are looking for?

Happy Milling,
Jimandi
Thanks,
Jim