Box Joints gadget

This forum is for users to submit their own gadgets to the community
astebur@aol.com
Model of CNC Machine: Oliver 1013 and NWA Piranha FX

Box Joints gadget

Post by astebur@aol.com »

Here's a gadget to design a box with box joints. It is simple to use, yet provides you with multiple controls. It will create boxes with different style of front and back legs, or no legs at all. Download the file from:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KGt6f2 ... sp=sharing

Yeah, I know I had fat fingers saving the Read Me file, but just go ahead and laugh, I'm not changing it now.

astebur@aol.com
Model of CNC Machine: Oliver 1013 and NWA Piranha FX

Re: Box Joints gadget

Post by astebur@aol.com »

I've updated the gadget just a bit. Primary change is that any values you enter for your box are now remembered by the gadget, you don't have to re-enter every value every time. Also got rid of the useless reminder pop-up when processing is completed.

timothy matthies
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Smartshop

Post by timothy matthies »

i'm only getting one end. what am i doing wrong?

zeighty
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL

Post by zeighty »

Check the layers... each piece on a different layer.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Awesome Gadget!!!

You may want to leave the pop-up reminder letting the user know that each part of the box assembly is created on its own layer. That way the user will know where to look for the other parts which have been created. Thereby the user can copy each part to the Layer 1 which had not been used when parts were created with gadget. Of course the user will have to duplicate some parts such as the ends and sides to achieve complete box. The user then can Rename LAYER 1 to COMPLETE BOX and continue on the create toolpaths.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

You did a super job on the Gadget. I know how hard it is to write the code, html, and all the testing. I look forward to seeing more of your work. again, very nice work.
Thanks,
Jim

Revdjembo
Model of CNC Machine: Ozznest OX

Post by Revdjembo »

Hi,

I've downloaded the files for this gadget but I'm really not sure what to do next. The direction to put them in the appropriate gadgets folded doesn't really help me as I don't know which folder that is, or indeed, which files to put there. All of them? some of them? just the lua file?

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

In your VCarve / Aspire select the File menu. There will be an option: Open Application Data Folder...

In that folder will be a folder called: Gadgets

Create a folder in that Gadgets folder called "Box Joints" or whatever name thrills you. Copy all the files in the "Box Joints.zip" file to that new folder. Restart your Vectric app and the gadget should be in the "Gadgets" menu.

This should work but I am not near a copy of VCarve to test it.

Also, from the "Box_Joints_Reminder.htm" file: "This gadget written by the Old Geezer (aka Art Steburg). If you have questions about this gadget, or suggestions on how it could be improved, you can contact me at astebur@gmail.com."

Revdjembo
Model of CNC Machine: Ozznest OX

Post by Revdjembo »

Thank you Adze_CNC. That worked no bother. Brilliant!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The correct location for the 3rd party gadgets is "Public Documents\Vectric Files\Gadgets" and install into the folder appropriate for the software you're using.

A simple way to do that is to download the file from the first post and rename it so that rather than being "Box Joints.zip" it becomes "Box Joints.vgadget" you can then double click the file to install it or choose "Install Gadget" from the Gadgets menu within Cut2D/VCarve/Aspire.