This forum is for users to submit their own gadgets to the community
jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

EasyStairMaker

Post by jimandi5000 »

Hi all,

I hope you are well.

I just completed a Stair Tool. I cut stair stringers on my CNC mill. I know this may not be for everyone but if you need to layout a stair or ladder this may help.

have a look.
Attachments
EasyStairMaker.zip
(6.01 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
EasyStair01.jpg
EasyStair02.jpg
EasyStair03.jpg
EasyStair04.jpg
EasyStair05.jpg
Thanks,
Jim

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: EasyStairMaker

Post by highpockets »

Very good tool.... Thanks for sharing...
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Works great!
John
Maker of Chips

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Thanks for checking out the tool and it is good to hear it is working for you.
Thanks,
Jim

conifer
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by conifer »

Hey,

Thanks as always for posting this. I don't know where you get the time, as I barely have time to check this forum every few weeks! The only reason I'm here now is my CNCs power supply died and I'm waiting for the new one.

Anyway, I tried this gadget on Vcarve 10. Maybe I'm not configuring things correctly but I'm not getting the results I would expect. I used all of the default values and chose the 3 different options on "Select Step Configuration". It seems that the stringer is a set angle and doesn't adjust pitch when you choose a less than ideal step configuration. Also, I get a dogbone on my nosings.

I attached a .jpg image showing what I get with the 3 options.
Attachments
Stairs.JPG

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

conifer wrote:Hey,

Thanks as always for posting this. I don't know where you get the time, as I barely have time to check this forum every few weeks! The only reason I'm here now is my CNCs power supply died and I'm waiting for the new one.

Anyway, I tried this gadget on Vcarve 10. Maybe I'm not configuring things correctly but I'm not getting the results I would expect. I used all of the default values and chose the 3 different options on "Select Step Configuration". It seems that the stringer is a set angle and doesn't adjust pitch when you choose a less than ideal step configuration. Also, I get a dogbone on my nosings.

Thanks Conifer,
WOW!... Thanks for the feedback.
I will dig in to the code and see what the issue is and post an update. ASAP
Thanks,
Jim

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

jimandi5000 wrote:
conifer wrote:Hey,

Thanks Conifer,
WOW!... Thanks for the feedback.
I will dig in to the code and see what the issue is and post an update. ASAP

Hi Conifer,
I have looked at the code and it is a design issue. Therefore, I will need a rewrite. The issue is I offer fixed run and rise which locks the stair stringer into geometry where only one step configuration works. I will need to remove the constraint of the run aspect of the stair and allow the user to select the rise (height of top landing step) and allow the run value to be based on these step configuration value.

If you need this urgently, I can re-prioritize some other things I'm doing and get it fixed.
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Jim

conifer

Post by conifer »

No, don't rush. I'm just prowling on the forum since my CNC is down.

I look forward to seeing the next version.

Randal

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

conifer wrote:No, don't rush. I'm just prowling on the forum since my CNC is down.

I look forward to seeing the next version.

Randal
Hi Randal,

I think I got it...

Please have a look. ;)
Attachments
Stair.jpg
EasyStairMaker.zip
(6.35 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
Thanks,
Jim

conifer

Post by conifer »

Ok, here are the early results as I haven't tested every combination.

When I use your default rise and run values, I get the same results you do. But when I change the rise to a realistic floor to floor, I don't get any result int the step configuration.

In other words, if I enter a rise (floor to floor) of 102" which should give me 17 risers at 6" each, and then I choose a run based on a 10" tread (middle of your tread range) I don't get any results at all.

What would be really helpful is if you could choose the F to F value (which in most cases is fixed), and then have it calculate total run options (1st riser to last riser). i.e. - 102" F to F height will net 128" to 192" total run depending on tread run length. Since stair length can be changed at the cost of steeper or more relaxed angles.

The other issue which is less important right away is the nosing problem. See attached .jpg.

Randal
Attachments
Nosing Problem.JPG

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

conifer wrote:Ok, here are the early results as I haven't tested every combination.

When I use your default rise and run values, I get the same results you do. But when I change the rise to a realistic floor to floor, I don't get any result int the step configuration.

In other words, if I enter a rise (floor to floor) of 102" which should give me 17 risers at 6" each, and then I choose a run based on a 10" tread (middle of your tread range) I don't get any results at all.

What would be really helpful is if you could choose the F to F value (which in most cases is fixed), and then have it calculate total run options (1st riser to last riser). i.e. - 102" F to F height will net 128" to 192" total run depending on tread run length. Since stair length can be changed at the cost of steeper or more relaxed angles.

The other issue which is less important right away is the nosing problem. See attached .jpg.

Randal

Super Cool!!!

I will get on it... I am thinking I will use this for the Gadget Boot Camp...
What are the minimum questions/values that the user needs to input to build a "current" set of steps?

What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Jim

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

By “current”, do you mean “Building Code Compliant”?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

LOL.... "current" should have been "correct". But, I do like “Building Code Compliant” better.
Thanks,
Jim

conifer

Post by conifer »

The main information for building any staircase is Floor to Floor height.

It's always nice to have options with the overall length of the staircase though as long as it meets code. Steeper staircases save space but are much more dangerous. More relaxed angles (longer run on the treads) are safer but use up more floor space.

It's been a while since I built a set of stairs, but there is a great article here from a few years back - https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2016/0 ... ble-stairs

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

conifer wrote:The main information for building any staircase is Floor to Floor height.

It's always nice to have options with the overall length of the staircase though as long as it meets code. Steeper staircases save space but are much more dangerous. More relaxed angles (longer run on the treads) are safer but use up more floor space.

It's been a while since I built a set of stairs, but there is a great article here from a few years back - https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2016/0 ... ble-stairs

Thanks Conifer,

I am back on a code rewrite and I will use this for the Gadget Boot Camp.
Thanks,
Jim