Drawer Maker

This forum is for users to submit their own gadgets to the community
jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Re: Drawer Maker

Post by jimandi5000 »

I will start adding this option now and thanks for the tip!
Thanks,
Jim

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Hello Bob,
Hope you're doing well today.

I have some question in regards to the Blume soft close option.

In regards to the whole, I am milling on the inside face (dados) and the hole is on the outside of the drawer. Therefor, If I put the hole in, it would to go completely through the back panel.

My question is do you want a clearance operation performed on the inside corner (see image) on the back?
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-07-30 152811.jpg
Thanks,
Jim

RDKDust
Model of CNC Machine: Yeti SmartBench

Post by RDKDust »

Jim,

You are correct. I did not think about the dado on the inside and the requested hole on the back. I think that we should ignore the requested hole.

I do not believe that the clearance is needed. The fit is intended to be somewhat sloppy anyway.

Bob

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

RDKDust wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:55 pm
Jim,
You are correct. I did not think about the dado on the inside and the requested hole on the back. I think that we should ignore the requested hole.
I do not believe that the clearance is needed. The fit is intended to be somewhat sloppy anyway.
Bob
Hi Bob and All,
After thinking about your input and with all this time I have doing nothing...
I have made some updates:
1. Added "Remember Tooling" and now it will store and recall the bit selection from the last run.
2. Added a "Clear Button" to forget the last tooling selected
3. Added Blume Soft Close option (Yes or No) and it will draw the cut outs for the latches and rails
4. Added Blume Hole option (Yes or No) if you want the hole or not
5. Added Layers and Colors for the Blume option
6. Added Smarter Toolpath code
7. Added the Progression Bar for the longer running jobs
8. Fixed the Help Links

Todo List:
A. Update the Ver 11 Sheet thing once the SDK is published by the Vectric Dev team
B. May add some error trapping (got to sleep on it)
C. I will update the Help File after you guys do some testing.
If you have any suggestion let me know.
Attachments
Back with Blume Option = Yes
Back with Blume Option = Yes
Added Yes/No to the Blume options
Added Yes/No to the Blume options
Made updates to Main to recall/clear last tooling selected
Made updates to Main to recall/clear last tooling selected
EasyDrawerMakerVer03.1.zip
Rename to: EasyDrawerMakerVer03.1.vgadget
(31.12 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Thanks,
Jim

RDKDust

Post by RDKDust »

Jim,

Spent a lot of time with version 3.0 Saturday & Sunday. Here are some ramblings in no particular order
I have downloaded 3.1 but not tested yet.

I noticed that Pg 4 & 6 of the help file are empty (Just the normal Disclaimer file. Graphic at the top is missing).
The remember tooling is a godsend. Wish I had thought about it and requested it.

Assume that the finger clearing bit and the dado clearing bit are larger bits that are used for "hogging" out the majority of the material and the "Dado Pocket Bit" & Finger Bit" are used for bring the item to final dimension?

Can you give more detail on the "Milling Spacing" and "Milling Defaults". My fingers were very tight. When I adjusted the "Finger clearance" from .005 to .007 I did not get the intended results

On the drawer openings, If you have side mounted drawer rails should the "WIdth" be the "opening between the rails" and not the true drawer opening? When I measure a drawer I measure the LxWXH that I am expecting for final dimensions, however it appears the gadget adjusted some of the measurements. Honestly by this time in that day I just may have been confused.

I have a question that I would like to ask you privately. Do they have Private messaging on this forum?

Bob

RDKDust

Post by RDKDust »

Jim,

Just found the PM messaging. Do you mind if I PM you?

Bob

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

RDKDust wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:24 pm
Jim,

Just found the PM messaging. Do you mind if I PM you?

Bob
Sure thing
Thanks,
Jim

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Hello All,

I hope your shop is clean and the tools are all in their place.

I have been thinking about how to make help better. So I have moved away from the Wiki and move to html. Now if you have a question on what a value or setting should be, just click on the label (See image called "Click") and I have found an error or two and some spelling errors.

The HTML Help files most of the images have links (ie. if you select a button in a image it should jump you to the details or to its help page.

Here is Version 3.2 and let me know your thoughts.
Attachments
EasyDrawerMakerVer03.2.zip
Rename to: EasyDrawerMakerVer03.2.vgadget
(31.09 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Click.png
Help.png
Thanks,
Jim

RDKDust

Post by RDKDust »

Jim,

When I try to execute the gadget I am getting the following.

Attachments
Capture.PNG

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

This should fix it.
Attachments
EasyDrawerMakerVer03.3.zip
Rename to: EasyDrawerMakerVer03.3.vgadget
(31.08 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Thanks,
Jim

RDKDust

Post by RDKDust »

That did fix it. Thank You.

Suggestion in the Help file.

When you are talking about making something looser or tighter indicate which way to adjust. For instance to make the finger joint looser lower the default number from .005 to point .004 or to make the joint tighter raise it from .005 to .006.

It adjustments seem backwards to me because I did not understand which part the adjustment changed.

Bob

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

RDKDust wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:59 pm
That did fix it. Thank You.
Suggestion in the Help file.
When you are talking about making something looser or tighter indicate which way to adjust. For instance to make the finger joint looser lower the default number from .005 to point .004 or to make the joint tighter raise it from .005 to .006.
It adjustments seem backwards to me because I did not understand which part the adjustment changed.
Bob
Hello Bob,
OMG!!!
I was sitting here writing out an explanation how the finger clearance works. Built a drawing, add dimension, screen captured, then went through the code found the section on finger calculation and finger clearance calculation. Wrote up this very detailed explanation how it works. Then it hit be like a 2x4 from kickback on my table saw.

All I can say, thank you for your persistence and kindness... I the errors of my ways and will fix the issue on calculating finger clearance and republish a new version ASAP!

As some wise also will said "If you ain't making mistake, you ain't doing anything" so therefore a must be the busiest guy the world
LOL...
Thanks,
Jim

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Hello All,

I think I am there...

I have addressed the Finger Clearance issue. I see it is now working (See image of joint with Finger Clearance = 0.010).
I also added a ton of error trapping for the user input screens (blank text values, negative numbers, zeros and zero values, etc.)
Attachments
FingerClearanceCal.png
EasyDrawerMakerVer03.4.zip
Rename to: EasyDrawerMakerVer03.4.vgadget
(31.47 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Thanks,
Jim

RDKDust

Post by RDKDust »

Jim,

Got version 3.4 loaded and will be testing tomorrow.

I now understand the drawer clearance defaults. If I set the drawer clearance -> sides to 0.0 then I get a drawer that equals the drawer opening width, or the width between my drawer slides. Makes Sense.

Now I have a question. In the test drawer that I created, the fingers were too tight. With a rubber mallet I was able to beat them together but it still was VERY tight. The finger clearance was set to the default of .005 .

In your experience with the Drawer Gadget how much do you adjust from .005 (The Default)? And do you adjust it as .004 for a looser joint and .003 for an even looser joint or do you start with -.005. I just do not understand, and with the current price of plywood I want to understand before I cut.

Bob

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Hi Bob,

The bigger the number the loser the fit. My son and I made a test drawing that steps up finger clearance on 0.005 per set (See attached drawing). We will run this to find out the best finger clearance fit for my mill and tooling.

It is drawn on 1/2 inch plywood 36 x 48 run this with 1/8 dia bit with no clearing tool path.

What we did was run the gadget, set the Finger Clearance and not the tool path. Let it draw the parts and move them out of the was and put a label on for the amount of clearance.
Repeat until you get to a number that is too much. On the last set, setup the toolpaths (select the bits you run) and run the gadget once more. The gadget will make all the toolpaths for all the varying Finger Clearance. Move the parts on a sheet and recalculate the toolpaths and you are ready to make a run. Pick the best fitting set and make that the number you go with.
Attachments
DrawerTest.zip
(400.74 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Screenshot 2021-08-05 211218.jpg
Thanks,
Jim