This forum is for users to submit their own gadgets to the community
jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Re: Drawer Maker

Post by jimandi5000 »

connfountain wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:43 pm
Thanks!. I am going to just modify the back panel and bottom manually using 1.7. it seems to do a good job of laying out the fingers.
T

I see you mention you have a DIY 60 x 120 CNC. Did you post that build information any where on the Net ??
I would love to build a new one about that size. Avid/ CNC Router parts has one but they want $10K or so (likely a little more) for it.
Hello Conn,
Great, good to hear you can use it and thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I built my own CNC. I bought a kit from Avid/ CNC Router parts in 2013/2014 (controller and motors) and built a small 24x24 mill out of MDF. Used it to learn CNC and how it changed my woodworking. Shortly thereafter, I begin milling out parts out of aluminum for a 48 x 48 mill. After about three years of use of the 48 x 48, I started building a 48 x 96 because I hate tiling my jobs. That mill I kept for about two years.

About two years ago, I decided to build what I have today a steel frame mill that is big enough to handle two sheets of 60x60 Baltic birch plywood. I put them end to end at the same time on the mill. Now I can be milling one sheet while I changed out the other sheet at the other end. I have to say, when I am running production runs of Baltic birch material the mill never stops.

I also designed it with removable tops. I wanted to be able to turn on 4th axis a piece of stock 20 inches in diameter by 120 inches long (not solid). I'm thinking front porch columns and interior wood columns. The hollow columns that are usually built up out of one by material. Today, I have only built a small version of the 4th axis for testing and learning. I have accumulated all the parts for it but haven't had a need for it so I haven't been pushed to build. Yes, Yes, I know, I'm so lazy. :)

Let's talk about cost, I originally spent 6K on electronics, stepper motors, spindle, software, and lots of little parts (Bolts, nuts, screws, aluminum shapes and plates and lots of tooling). As I think, I would say I spent a little more than $10K maybe $15K over a long period of time. If you talk to my wife, well, she would tell you I've spent $100K on it. LOL.

For me, the CNC journey has been more fun than the destination. If I could afford it, I would buy the 60x160 with the 4th axis from Avid / CNC Router parts. They make great products and their customer support and service is outstanding.
Thanks,
Jim

connfountain
Model of CNC Machine: DIY 48 x48 using Gatton Kit

Post by connfountain »

I'm a relative newbie to CNC. I built a cnc a couple of years ago from plywood using kit from Dave Gatton.
Then I took a couple of years off while i was building a new house.

Not sure I will every be as serious as you are. I have seven grandkids that are my main hobby :)

But i am going to build a new bigger, machine. And I see a lot of youtubers and some friends going with the avid machine.

Back to drawer maker.

I gave up the odd dado depth and went with 1/2 material and resultant model and toolpaths are very usuable. I will just have to trim the back and bottom a little. Maybe when you document this I can identify which setting is off .

Thanks for all the help
Conn Fountain

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

connfountain wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:02 pm
I'm a relative newbie to CNC. I built a cnc a couple of years ago from plywood using kit from Dave Gatton.
Then I took a couple of years off while i was building a new house.

Not sure I will every be as serious as you are. I have seven grandkids that are my main hobby :)

But i am going to build a new bigger, machine. And I see a lot of youtubers and some friends going with the avid machine.

Back to drawer maker.

I gave up the odd dado depth and went with 1/2 material and resultant model and toolpaths are very usuable. I will just have to trim the back and bottom a little. Maybe when you document this I can identify which setting is off .

Thanks for all the help
Conn Fountain
Hi Conn,
Let me see if I can figure out what's going on...

Can you verify the number of fingers? this layout is set to 8 fingers (note the 0.005" for clearance)
Attachments
My settings
My settings
Drawer.crv
(919 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Annotation 2020-06-01 190409.png
Thanks,
Jim

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Hi All,

I just posted a video for the Easy Drawer Maker User Guide on YouTube.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeFedB4MczA

Happy Viewing!!!

I have so much more to do :)
Thanks,
Jim

MAXJ
Model of CNC Machine: KRMx02

Post by MAXJ »

Great Video

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

MAXJ wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:08 pm
Great Video
Thank you!
I have been working on learning how to make and edit better looking videos.
Thanks,
Jim

connfountain
Model of CNC Machine: DIY 48 x48 using Gatton Kit

Post by connfountain »

I will check the video. I am getting 5 fingers even though it is set to 9. I changed it to 7 and now I get four fingers.

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

connfountain wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:15 pm
I will check the video. I am getting 5 fingers even though it is set to 9. I changed it to 7 and now I get four fingers.
Try 8 fingers, it would give you 4 on the Side and 4 on the Front. How it works, if the Finger count is even (4, 6, 8, 10 etc... ) the count is cut in half. If the Finger count is odd (5, 7, 9, etc...) it is cut and half and rounded down an 1 is add to the Side, giving you one more finger on the Side than the Front.
Thanks,
Jim

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Hello All,

Made a number of updates.

Here is version 2.1

Next steps:
1. Help File (Wiki)
Attachments
EasyDrawerMaker.zip
Rename to EasyDrawerMaker.vgadget
(27.47 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
2020-07-08.png
Thanks,
Jim

RDKDust
Model of CNC Machine: Yeti SmartBench

Post by RDKDust »

Jim,

I am sure that you are aware this is not working in ver 11. I'm sure that it is the new sheets function. Here is a screen shot.

Screenshot attached. Still works fine in 10.X.

Bob
Attachments
Capture.PNG

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

I must have missed testing one of the Gadgets. I will add an error trap and post a new version.

Thank You!
Thanks,
Jim

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Hello everyone,

I hope each of you are having a fantastic day.

Special thanks goes out to Bob for helping me identify the issue. The new version of Vectric 11 handles Sheets differently.

Bob find the issue with the Drawer gadget and I have taken a little time to hammer in a patch (Version 3.0). Hopefully it works well enough until the documentation on the new SDK Sheet functions are published and then I will add the new code.

Have a look, test driving and let me know if you have any issues.

FYI: I also added some updated help to this gadget.
https://www.jimandi.com/EasyGadgets/Eas ... rHelp.html
Attachments
EasyDrawerMakerVer03.0.zip
Rename file to: EasyDrawerMakerVer03.0.vgadget
(27.51 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
2021-07-28 (14).png
2021-07-28 (15).png
2021-07-28 (16).png
Thanks,
Jim

RDKDust

Post by RDKDust »

Thank You Jim. That seams to have made it happy with version 11.

I do have a enhancement suggestion.

"Blume" type undermount drawer slides require a relief cut and a hole on the back.

Is this something that you would consider adding to the gadget. I know that it would be useful for me but I do not know if it would be useful for others.

If you are interested I can send you pictures and specs.

Bob

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

RDKDust wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:10 pm
Thank You Jim. That seams to have made it happy with version 11.

I do have a enhancement suggestion.

"Blume" type undermount drawer slides require a relief cut and a hole on the back.

Is this something that you would consider adding to the gadget. I know that it would be useful for me but I do not know if it would be useful for others.

If you are interested I can send you pictures and specs.

Bob
For sure!!! You see I have nothing to do so YES! I will do it. Please send me some spec's or web link so I know what you need. :)
Thanks,
Jim

RDKDust

Post by RDKDust »

Jim,

Here is the layout infoImage

Here is a picture of the back Image

Bob
Attachments
Drawer Back Prep.PNG