Drawer Maker

This forum is for users to submit their own gadgets to the community
jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Drawer Maker

Post by jimandi5000 »

Hello All,

I have put together a tool to layout Drawers for cutting on a CNC. All settings are managed with Dialog's for Layer Names, Milling Settings, Project Info, and other setting. This tool can draw multi copies of the drawer (sides, front, back and bottom) and will build a Cut List or CSV format for Excel.

Looking for feedback.
Attachments
DrawerMakerVer_1.1.zip
(10.82 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
Thanks,
Jim

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Re: Drawer Maker

Post by jimandi5000 »

Here are some images of the dialogs.
Attachments
DrawerMaker1.png
DrawerMaker2.png
DrawerMaker3.png
DrawerMaker4.png
DrawerMaker5.png
DrawerMaker6.png
Thanks,
Jim

connfountain
Model of CNC Machine: DIY 48 x48 using Gatton Kit

Post by connfountain »

Drawer maker 1.2 is included in easytools20200522. And i get this error about attempt to index local file.

VCarve Pro
Script:
Line: 915
(global CutListfileWriterHeader)
x
attempt to index local 'file' (a nil value)
OK
Attachments
Easy Drawer maker error.pdf
(37.13 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

connfountain wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:59 am
Drawer maker 1.2 is included in easytools20200522. And i get this error about attempt to index local file.

VCarve Pro
Script:
Line: 915
(global CutListfileWriterHeader)
x
attempt to index local 'file' (a nil value)
OK
I will dive into this right now. Let me have 30 minutes.
Thanks,
Jim

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

Hello Connfountain,

Thanks for letting me know about the issue. I found the program needed a error trap. I moved the revisition count up to 1.3 and added a message to the user to setup the project.

After looking at the code, I will be doing a rewrite in the future.

Again, Thank you for the feedback.
Attachments
EasyTools20200524.zip
All Current - Easy Gadgets
(2.6 MiB) Downloaded 227 times
ErrorTrap.jpg
Thanks,
Jim

connfountain

Post by connfountain »

thanks for the quick reply. It was my fault for not setting the directory, but it would be good to have a more friendly message.
Just set it up to cut a drawer for my outdoor kitchen. Awesome software.

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

connfountain wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:58 pm
thanks for the quick reply. It was my fault for not setting the directory, but it would be good to have a more friendly message.
Just set it up to cut a drawer for my outdoor kitchen. Awesome software.
Please let me know how it works out. I may need to add a "Fit" adjustment to the fingers to address if they are too lose or tight.
Thanks,
Jim

connfountain

Post by connfountain »

I found a couple of issue. the Fit is a little tight but It might be on my end. First time running this machine after recent move and it need a little tweaker.

however, I found out the placement of the fingers on the front piece does not match the sides. PDF attachment showing my settings and the resultant errors.
Attachments
Easy Drawer test 1.pdf
(196.31 KiB) Downloaded 213 times

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

connfountain wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:27 pm
I found a couple of issue. the Fit is a little tight but It might be on my end. First time running this machine after recent move and it need a little tweaker.

however, I found out the placement of the fingers on the front piece does not match the sides. PDF attachment showing my settings and the resultant errors.
Hi Connfountain,
Thanks for sending me a heads up... I just ran the gadget and I am getting an issue. It is not what I am seeing in your pdf but it will not work for anyone. Could you send me the CRV file. Anyway, let me get to work on addressing what I see on this end and see if it address it on your end.
Attachments
202005280550.png
202005280555.png
Thanks,
Jim

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

jimandi5000 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:02 pm
connfountain wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:27 pm

Hi Connfountain,
Thanks for sending me a heads up... I just ran the gadget and I am getting an issue. It is not what I am seeing in your pdf but it will not work for anyone. Could you send me the CRV file. Anyway, let me get to work on addressing what I see on this end and see if it address it on your end.
Hello Connfountain,
I have a fix.
this is what I did:
1. Fixed the layout of the fingers
2. Fixed the width issue of the fingers
3. Better error trap on the job path not set
4. Fixed the Dialog layouts
5. Fixed the Mill into corner math
6. Objects placed on the correct layer
7. fixed the joint adjustment
8. Changed the finger mill process. Better tearout control and Now, the end mill will not cut the part ends twice.

So I have move the rev to 1.6 and please let me know if you find anything. :)
Attachments
New Mill to corner and layout
New Mill to corner and layout
EasyDrawerMakerVer1.6.zip
Rename to EasyDrawerMakerVer1.6.vgadget
(12.24 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Thanks,
Jim

connfountain

Post by connfountain »

Thanks Jim. My CRV is attached and i am using all the same setting as before.
The fingers on the front are in the correct position. Thanks for correcting that.

But there is still a problem with calculation in the width of the back and width (maybe length ) of the bottom.

The back and width (left to right) of the bottom should be width of drawer aka front (26in in my example) less two times the width of the material (.477 * 2 = 0.954) plus the dado depth/height which is 0.125 *2 = 0.25 That gives 25.296 and the gadget is giving 25.75. This seems to be a incorrect.

Similarly the bottom needs to match width with the back which should be 23.296.
The Front to back on the bottom panel should in my example be 24" less 2 * 0.477 - 0.75 (back dado offset) + 2* 0.125
that is 22.546 and the gadget give 22.523.

Thanks for updating this. Its a wonderful implementation of parameter based design. Very cool.

Conn.

I am also looking at your cabinet maker. I am planning a bunch of shop cabinets and I can build the traditional way, but I think it would be cool to do it on the CNC.

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

connfountain wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:34 am
Thanks Jim. My CRV is attached and i am using all the same setting as before.
The fingers on the front are in the correct position. Thanks for correcting that.

But there is still a problem with calculation in the width of the back and width (maybe length ) of the bottom.

The back and width (left to right) of the bottom should be width of drawer aka front (26in in my example) less two times the width of the material (.477 * 2 = 0.954) plus the dado depth/height which is 0.125 *2 = 0.25 That gives 25.296 and the gadget is giving 25.75. This seems to be a incorrect.

Similarly the bottom needs to match width with the back which should be 23.296.
The Front to back on the bottom panel should in my example be 24" less 2 * 0.477 - 0.75 (back dado offset) + 2* 0.125
that is 22.546 and the gadget give 22.523.

Thanks for updating this. Its a wonderful implementation of parameter based design. Very cool.

Conn.

I am also looking at your cabinet maker. I am planning a bunch of shop cabinets and I can build the traditional way, but I think it would be cool to do it on the CNC.
Hi Conn,

I put sometime time in on this today. Please have a look at it. I need someone to do some testing can I count on you?

Please let me know your thoughts.
Attachments
DrawMakerVer1.7.jpg
EasyDrawerMakerVer1.7.zip
Rename to EasyDrawMakerVer1.7.vgadget
(18.08 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Thanks,
Jim

connfountain

Post by connfountain »

Thanks for the quick reply Jim. There is still some error either in my understanding or in the calculation of the back length and bottom dimensions.

I am guessing in the calculation it is using the default 0.5 material width instead of the 0.477 actualy.

Or perhaps I dont understand the dado height setting. I assume that is the depth of the dado which i am setting 0.125.

And I do plan to try the cabinet design tool for at least one base cabiinet to see how well it works. I will give you feed back on that.as well.

Not sure if that 4:33am response time was Texas or Europe time but thanks for the quick turn around.

Conn. (FYI Macon Ga )
Attachments
1.7 drawer make trial.pdf
(210.45 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard

Post by jimandi5000 »

connfountain wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:18 pm
Thanks for the quick reply Jim. There is still some error either in my understanding or in the calculation of the back length and bottom dimensions.

I am guessing in the calculation it is using the default 0.5 material width instead of the 0.477 actualy.

Or perhaps I dont understand the dado height setting. I assume that is the depth of the dado which i am setting 0.125.

And I do plan to try the cabinet design tool for at least one base cabiinet to see how well it works. I will give you feed back on that.as well.

Not sure if that 4:33am response time was Texas or Europe time but thanks for the quick turn around.

Conn. (FYI Macon Ga )
Hi Conn,

I am in Texas but I don't sleep much these days. :)

On the code, I made a number of changes in Version 1.7 of the program. But the one that controls the Finger Count is on the main dialog screen. Now Finger Width = Side Width / Finger Count. I also add Finger Clearance to the Milling Defaults dialog screen. In Versions up to 1.6 the finger placement calculation was based on a cumulation of space. In the current version 1.7. The Side Width is divided by the Finger Count which derives the centerpoint of each finger and the Finger Clearance is divided equally on each side of the Finger Width. The new calculations appears to be delivering a better symmetrical layout.

I am currently working on some documentation and a video on how to use the Gadget.
Thanks,
Jim

connfountain

Post by connfountain »

Thanks!. I am going to just modify the back panel and bottom manually using 1.7. it seems to do a good job of laying out the fingers.
T

I see you mention you have a DIY 60 x 120 CNC. Did you post that build information any where on the Net ??
I would love to build a new one about that size. Avid/ CNC Router parts has one but they want $10K or so (likely a little more) for it.