Guitar fret board maker - Aspire 9.5

This forum is for users to submit their own gadgets to the community
StefanK
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD4

Re: Guitar fret board maker - Aspire 9.5

Post by StefanK »

10.5 is not the problem. It works fine in 10.5 ;-) Perhaps the instructions are not explicit enough. Change/rename only the suffix of the file name; that is, change ".zip" to ".vgadget". Once you've done this the file icon should change to the gadget icon. Remember where/in which folder it is saved. Open Aspire and open the gadget menu. Select install gadget and then browse to the folder where the .vgadget file is stored. Select or double click the .vgadget file and Aspire will install it. It will then show up in the gadget menu.

Stefan

jTr
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRSAlpha9660

Post by jTr »

Stefan,
Thanks for the reply. I completely understand the instructions. However...
When downloading is in progress, it shows as a .zip extension. Upon completion, it simply reads Fret_Board_Maker - no shown extension when opened in Downloads folder. So, I add ".vgadget" extension and try anyway. Open Aspire, select "Install New Gadget" and click to open from downloads folder. Double click the renamed folder Fret_Board_Maker.vgadget to open, and it simply opens that folder (rather than loading), showing no contents (Aspire does not see any contents, as it's looking for Vectric Gadget Package Files, which the folder does not contain). Don't know why it disregards the renamed file, only opens it.
Okay, let's take a closer look.
When opened outside of Aspire, folder contains: another folder labeled Fret_Board_Maker (no extension, right click, no option to rename), LUA file, License, and sample JPG.
Upon opening that folder (Fret_Board_Maker again, no .zip extension and no ability to rename) I find Fretboard_Parameters3D, a Chrome HTML document which I can open outside of Aspire and the calculator appears, and is functional. Is it the Chrome HTML document that needs to be renamed, since it does not work on the zip file it is contained in? (doubt it, but I'm flailing at this point).
Sorry to be a pain - this just is not making any sense at all, since there is no ".zip" extension once the folder is sitting in the Downloads folder. Only indication of it being a zip file is the zipper on the folder's icon. I've downloaded numerous times in case of corruption during downloading.

Any other suggestions?
(other than give it up, I'm beyond help... :oops: ,)
FWIW, Windows 10
jeff

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you're seeing a folder named Fret_Board_Maker that means you've opened the zip file (probably by double clicking) and are now looking at the contents which is a folder called Fret_Board_Maker.

Go up a level and you'll see a file named Fret_Board_Maker-v1.00.zip that's what you need to rename.

StefanK
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD4

Post by StefanK »

Adrian is correct that if you see the files you have opened the zip file.

If you don't see the .zip suffix/extension in your download folder, another possibilty is the Windows Explorer (file browser) is hiding the suffix/extension of the files. This is one of the view setting for folders. Windows defaults to hide file extensions. To see them you need to set it to show them.

jTr
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRSAlpha9660

Post by jTr »

Okay - finally got it. Thought "details" would display extension. No dice. Found the "show/hide" area in view tab of file explorer. Check "file name extensions" and voila - it registered. I could see where I'd added the .vgadget extension, and the .zip was still showing in front of it.
Windows can be pretty asinine to work with, regardless of using it for decades.... :roll:
Anyhow, thanks so much for the help and patience, guys. Looking forward to using this gadget!

Jeff