Guitar fret board maker - Aspire 9.5

This forum is for users to submit their own gadgets to the community
StefanK
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD4

Re: Guitar fret board maker - Aspire 9.5

Post by StefanK »

leonardo.afonso wrote:Hi there,

I'm a luthier taking first spets on CNC machines and software, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.. But would this gadget work with VCarve Pro also?

Thanks!

It should work with VCarve Pro (though not VCarve Desktop as Desktop does not support gadgets) but not with all features. Under VCarve you will only get the 2D layout of the frets and slots, and the board outline. It will also generate guide rails and arcs for the radius BUT, you will not get the 3D model/component of the fret board for actually carving the radius.

You can still use VCarve to cut the slots and the board outline but without a 3D model you will not be able to generate the code to carve the radius. In short you can design and cut a flat fretboard but would need to radius it by hand (if needed) unless you have another way to generate the 3D model/component.

leonardo.afonso
Model of CNC Machine: 3018 Pro

Post by leonardo.afonso »

StefanK wrote:
leonardo.afonso wrote:Hi there,

I'm a luthier taking first spets on CNC machines and software, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.. But would this gadget work with VCarve Pro also?

Thanks!

It should work with VCarve Pro (though not VCarve Desktop as Desktop does not support gadgets) but not with all features. Under VCarve you will only get the 2D layout of the frets and slots, and the board outline. It will also generate guide rails and arcs for the radius BUT, you will not get the 3D model/component of the fret board for actually carving the radius.

You can still use VCarve to cut the slots and the board outline but without a 3D model you will not be able to generate the code to carve the radius. In short you can design and cut a flat fretboard but would need to radius it by hand (if needed) unless you have another way to generate the 3D model/component.
Hi StefanK,
Thank you for your reply, already upgraded to aspire as I need to do radius fretboards and want to take all the advantages of this great gadget. Cheers!

StefanK

Post by StefanK »

In case anyone wants or needs it, short documentation.
Fretboard Maker Overview.zip
Overview and how to:
(147.02 KiB) Downloaded 521 times

Stefan

leonardo.afonso

Hi!

Is the gadget able to radius the fret slots them self, like the fretboard?

Thanks

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Select Project toolpath onto 3D model
Attachments
ProjectToolpath3D.PNG
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

StefanK

Post by StefanK »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Select Project toolpath onto 3D model

The gadget itself does not do that because it generates only the design and model (CAD), not the toolpaths (CAM). But as shown you can project the slot toolpath onto the radius/fretboard-model while you are creating and generating the toolpaths.

That is what I always do, Project the fret toolpath onto the 3D model. Simple enough thanks to Vectric.

Stefan

leonardo.afonso

Thank you so much guys!

HubbardTodd
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD5

Post by HubbardTodd »

StefanK wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:17 pm
This Gadget lays out a chromatic fret/finger board. It is intended for guitar but it will work for anything chromatic from ukulele to electric bass. (just delete the extra frets for for dulcimer or other diatonic instrument). It can create standard/straight-scale or a multi-scale/fan-fret fingerboards.
FretboardUIscreen1.jpg
The board dimensions can optionally be based on string width at the nut and saddle, or fixed/specified by the width at the nut and 12th fret. It generates the fret board outline and the fret layout as lines or lines and slots. Options allow for a zero fret or cut line at the nut. Under Aspire is generates the 3D model for the fret board with no radius, fixed radius, or compound radius.
sample1.jpg
It seems pretty solid but I am open to questions, comments, suggestions, and bug reports. I started it for my own use but it became a learning opportunity and a tool to share.

Built for Aspire 9.5 and works fine on 10.0.
Thank you for posting this! I am totally new to CNC. I have been doing guitars hand made since 1992. I'll do some test fret boards on cheap wood and post results. Thank you again!

StefanK

Post by StefanK »

Practicing on cheap wood is the right path. If you are totally new to CNC and CAD/CAM, there is a lot to learn about the design tools and your own machine. Mistakes will happen.

If you run into any issues with the gadget let me know. As far as hand builds go, you've got about 10 years on me, so I will be interested in your feedback. So far I only use the CNC for making parts but I see some folks making their electric guitars largely with CNC.

Stefan

Greenman69
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by Greenman69 »

Hi Having trouble getting this installed in Aspire. I downloaded the file. Extracted it. Went to install gadget in Aspire 10.5 but that it is far as I got. Thanks in advance for your help. Greenman 69

StefanK

Post by StefanK »

Hi Greenman,
There is no need to unpack the zip file if you are going to use the install gadget function within Aspire. Just rename the file to change the suffix from .zip to .vgadget. Then use the install function.

You only need to unpack it manually if you are going to install it manually. To manually install you would locate your gadget folder and then unzip/unpack the file into it.

Greenman69

Post by Greenman69 »

Thanks- I figured that out and got it installed. Great tool spent some time playing with it today. Once I figure out all the options I will be good to go. Best Regards Bill Sterling Greenman 69

StefanK

Post by StefanK »

Bill,
There is an overview document posted above in this thread. It is a mini manual that explains the options.
Stefan

Greenman69

Post by Greenman69 »

Yes I read that over and still have some questions if you don't mind. Can this gadget cut radiused fret slots? What is the difference between tang slots and fret slots? And what is the radiused or square tang slots? Thanks for your help. Bill

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Greenman69 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:21 am
Yes I read that over and still have some questions if you don't mind. Can this gadget cut radiused fret slots? What is the difference between tang slots and fret slots? And what is the radiused or square tang slots? Thanks for your help. Bill
The radiused slot question was asked and answered a few post above yours. Use the Project onto 3D option in the toolpath.