Guitar fret board maker - Aspire 9.5

This forum is for users to submit their own gadgets to the community
StefanK
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD4

Re: Guitar fret board maker - Aspire 9.5

Post by StefanK »

The question about radiusing the fret slots to match the radius of the fretboard was answered. When creating the tool path for the frets, "project it onto the 3D model".

The difference, tang slots, is between fret lines and tang slots. The tool will always draw fret lines which is all you need if you plan to cut/carve them with a bit that matches the width of the tang on your fret wire.

If you select tang slot then the tool will also draw a slot for the fret using the width you specify to match the tang width of your fret wire. This is useful for different tang widths and using a tool that has a small diameter than the tang. It also then gives you the ability to adjust the fit of the tang to be more or less tight and can also be used to account machine inaccuracy that may be caused by spindle runout, motion slop, or the way your material cuts.

The option for square ended slot draws a rectangular slot that ends exactly at the end of the fret line. if you are using blind slots (slots that do not go off the edge of the fret board) when you carve it, it will necessarily have corners radiused by the bit/tool you use to cut the slot. This would need to be accounted for when you trim the tang for the blind frets as you would when doing a bound neck.

The radiused option bulges the end of the slot to round it. In this case the slot end is rounded based on the slot width rather than just having corners rounded to the radius of your bit. This also results in the slot being one slot width longer than the fret line.

Stefan

Greenman69
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by Greenman69 »

Many thanks StefanK- let me try to digest all this and get it figured out.

Greenman69

Post by Greenman69 »

Making good progress but ran into issue setting toolpaths for frets. I cut all my fret slots on center expect for the nut slot which I cut to the left. I can't seem to isolate the nut cut line.I hit it and all the frets are active. Did I make a mistake in entering the options? Thanks Greenman 69

StefanK

Post by StefanK »

Bill,

By default the various components, frets, slots, rails, etc. are "grouped". To ungroup the frets or any other group, select and then right-click for options. Use the one of the ungroup options. Usually ungroup to groups layer is the one you want.

Once they are ungrouped you can manipulate or delete the frets or slots individually (separate groups on separate layers), for example if you wanted a diatonic scale. Be careful not to accidently change the spacing ;-) undo can be your friend.

Greenman69

Post by Greenman69 »

Well I have been able to do most everything on my test board. Was able to radius the fret slots. I think I can make them less deep that I have in the past because of the radius. The only thing still giving me trouble is doing the rough radius tool path keep getting error message about open vectors and other issues. Do I have to do a roughing pass? :mrgreen: Bill

StefanK

Post by StefanK »

Whether or not you need to do a roughing pass depends on how much material you need to remove and whether or not the tool/bit you will use for the finishing path will handle it.

That said, unless you have specified an especially tight radius and/or ultra wide fretboard, you are not taking much material off the top to achieve it. You may not actually need a roughing pass but I usually use one so I know how much material is being removed during the 3D finishing pass.

I am not sure why you would get open vector errors but my guess is it is related to how you are setting the boundary for the pass. More likely to happen is a warning telling you no toolpath was created. This happens if tool pass depth is set greater than the *thickness you are trying to carve. Essentially this means there is nothing for it to do.
(*By thickness I am referring to the model height within the boundaries you've set)

Greenman69

Post by Greenman69 »

I will play with that and make the finerboard thicker to start. I was setting at .25 and the finished top is .249 if I read it right. Maybe that would explain it. You must be a teacher at heart thanks for your help and patience.

StefanK

Post by StefanK »

Your measurements are correct. The gadget/tool sets the apex of the modeled radius .001" below the surface of your defined workpiece. This will be true regardless of the thickness you set at the start. In practice when setting up to create the toolpath it is best to add/set a bit more space above the model as it is unlikely your stock is flat to within a thousandth of an inch ;-)

Greenman69

Post by Greenman69 »

Finally was able to get the roughing tool path to work. Set the beginning thickness thicker. On question if you make a mistake entering your perameters is there a way to edit after it is in Aspire? Or do you need to go out and start over? Thanks

StefanK

Post by StefanK »

If you asking what I think you asking, no.

Once you have closed the gadget it cannot read back and modify the design it created. It does save the previous set of parameters so you can easily recreate your last (but not prior) design and make any desired changes. This is not the same as editing the old/existing design.

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful gadget with us! I will make good use of it!

Greenman69

Post by Greenman69 »

How can I switch the gadget from inches to metric I have a classical fingerboard to make. :mrgreen:

StefanK

Post by StefanK »

When you set your job/material, select milimeters instead of inches. The gadget uses whichever you choose at the start. You can also edit job properties and change it and then invoke the gadget.

Greenman69

Post by Greenman69 »

Thanks got it. :mrgreen:

jTr
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRSAlpha9660

Post by jTr »

A bit late to the party, but need some help. Absolutely lost on how to install in Aspire. Tried all methods listed in original post on how to install, (unzip, or leave zipped and rename .vgadget) but totally unable to manipulate this into being recognized by Aspire
(10.5 - is that the problem??)
jeff