Chamfer Gadget In and Out

This forum is for users to submit their own gadgets to the community
Jeff E.
Vectric Apprentice

Chamfer Gadget In and Out

Post by Jeff E. »

I wanted to use the chamfer gadget for de-burring metal parts. I'm fairly certain this was not the intended usage of the gadget but it worked great in my testing. To do a full de-burring I needed the capability to chamfer both inside and outside contours. For example if I made a part that resembled a washer and wanted to chamfer the edges after machining I would need to chamfer both the inside (the hole) of the washer as well as the outside edge of the washer. The Vectric Chamfer Gadget v1.1 provides for outside only. So I thought I'd give LUA and the Vectric Gadget SDK a try. The result is a modified Chamfer Gadget that I call "Chamfer Gadget In and Out". The modified gadget adds the capability to chamfer either the inside of a contour or the outside a contour.

To follow the rules the following comment is contained in Chamfer Gadget In and Out.lua source.

--- ATTENTION ---
-- Chamfer In & Out - is a modified version of the Vectric Chamfer Gadget v1.1
-- The major modification was done to provide the ability to chamfer inside of a contour as well as the outside a contour.
-- The various modifications were done by me - Jeff Elliott. If you would like to contact me I can be reached via the Vectric forum.
-- In no event will the author be held liable for any damages arising from use of this gadget.

I have attached the "Chamfer Gadget In and Out" for your use. Works great for me, but your mileage may vary. Use caution until you have tested it in your environment. Remember I'm a complete novice in the gadget writing world.

To install the "Chamfer Gadget In and Out", unzip then place a copy of the Chamfer Gadget In and Out folder in the standard gadget location on your computer. On my computer it would be placed in the following directory:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Vectric Files\Gadgets\Aspire V4.5

After placing it in the correct directory, restart your Vectric software and you will see the new "Chamfer Gadget In and Out" entry in the gadget drop down menu.

Jeff
Chamfer In and Out.zip
(57.11 KiB) Downloaded 980 times
Capture.JPG

ozymax
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Re: Chamfer Gadget In and Out

Post by ozymax »

Thanks Jeff.
This will come in very handy.
The download worked as it should and the previews look like they should, once I sorted out my tool settings etc.
I'll be using this gadget on my next project.
Cheers. :)

phill05
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Hybrid re-build

Post by phill05 »

Jeff, brilliant just what I have been looking for works a treat, many thanks

Phill
A person who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist"
—Louis Nizer

Jeff E.
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Jeff E. »

Phill,

Glad you like the gadget. If you want a radiused edge rather than an angled edge I have another gadget in the General gadget section that makes nice rounded edges. It is called Chamfer Gadget Radiused.

Enjoy,

Jeff

phill05
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Hybrid re-build

Post by phill05 »

Hi Jeff,

I downloaded the two and they are just great to use they will save a lot of drawing time for me.

Many thanks

Phill
A person who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist"
—Louis Nizer

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

On another thread there was a request to update this gadget to work with V10 onwards and to make it save/retrieve the tool used rather than default to a ball nose.

As Jeff hasn't been on the forum for some time I updated the gadget.

Simplest way to install is to download the zip file and then rename it from a .zip to .vgadget file.
Attachments
Chamfer In and Out.zip
(57.41 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

Onetrack
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Post by Onetrack »

Thanks Adrian. Much appreciated.
The more I learn the more I forget.