*** New *** Easy Box Maker Gadget *** New ***

This forum is for users to submit their own gadgets to the community
AcBCDN
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: HomeBuilt

Re: *** New *** Easy Box Maker Gadget *** New ***

Post by AcBCDN »

All of my spindle speeds (gadget v1.5) are 0 rpm. I checked my DB they are my preferred speeds.

FYI.

Andy

AcBCDN
Vectric Apprentice

Post by AcBCDN »

Here is some pics of my first box. The only changes I made were to material size. Left all of the default tolerances for fingers and dados as installed to get a baseline what I should do next. Tolerances need to be adjusted as they are too tight for my CNC. This worked well. Thanks.

Andy
Attachments
See the gaps so I need to increase the tolerances.
See the gaps so I need to increase the tolerances.
Some damage because tolerances too tight.
Some damage because tolerances too tight.
The lid
The lid
The lid on is a bit loose so I could reduce the dado for that.
The lid on is a bit loose so I could reduce the dado for that.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Happy to see results whether good or bad! Seeing Results helps us in providing better gadget performance.

The Milling Defaults are a starting point which should be fairly close to a usable fit for the box being created. The Gadget User can adjust any of these settings as necessary for the creation of an acceptable box design. Do not be afraid to adjust as necessary any of these settings but make sure to understand what each setting does before adjusting. Also be sure to look over your toolpath settings and adjust as necessary and do not forget to re-calculate toolpaths whenever changes are made.

I have created several models of these box designs using mostly the default settings with the Modeling Program showing "NO Interference Fit" but that is not always the case in the real workshop world. The Finger Joint tolerance of +- .005" may need opening up to .010" or more to get a "NO Interference Fit" in the real world.

Thank You Andy for providing that Information!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

AcBCDN
Vectric Apprentice

Post by AcBCDN »

sharkcutup wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:05 pm
Happy to see results whether good or bad! Seeing Results helps us in providing better gadget performance.

The Milling Defaults are a starting point which should be fairly close to a usable fit for the box being created. The Gadget User can adjust any of these settings as necessary for the creation of an acceptable box design. Do not be afraid to adjust as necessary any of these settings but make sure to understand what each setting does before adjusting. Also be sure to look over your toolpath settings and adjust as necessary and do not forget to re-calculate toolpaths whenever changes are made.

I have created several models of these box designs using mostly the default settings with the Modeling Program showing "NO Interference Fit" but that is not always the case in the real workshop world. The Finger Joint tolerance of +- .005" may need opening up to .010" or more to get a "NO Interference Fit" in the real world.

Thank You Andy for providing that Information!

Sharkcutup
Thanks. Any reason why the generated toolpaths by this gadget set the spindle RPM to 0?

Andy

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Thanks. Any reason why the generated toolpaths by this gadget set the spindle RPM to 0?

Andy
Good Job! Happy to see you are checking your Toolpath Criteria/Settings!!!

Found the issue and it is now fixed. It will be in an upcoming version of the Box Gadget. In the meantime keep checking all those settings!!

Thank you, ANDY! :D

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

avp
Model of CNC Machine: Home built 5x8

Post by avp »

Did a test cut. Tolerance too tight. I used the default finger fit (+/-) value of .005
So if I want a looser fit I suppose I just increase that number.

Bill

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

avp wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:35 pm
Did a test cut. Tolerance too tight. I used the default finger fit (+/-) value of .005
So if I want a looser fit I suppose I just increase that number.

Bill
Yup!!!

Try adjusting it and then go measure the the actual finger on either the side part or the end part and measure the opposite (opening where finger is supposed to go then subtract the smaller number from the larger to see what you get.

I just did a test measuring the vector distances in V-Carve Pro with a .005" finger gap Measured at the drawing .005"
Changed the Default to .020" finger gap. Measured at the drawing .02"

So Yeah increase that number to whatever you are comfortable with just remember to leave a little room for the glue gap. hehe

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Been working diligently to get this Gadget up to Speed!!!

Fixes Made ---

--- Optimized Help Menu Images Performance
--- Added to Milling Help "Dado Height Explained" Image
--- Removed .02" Allowance from Dado Toolpath Criteria
--- Toolpath Spindle Speed Added to Toolpaths

Note:**** (Be sure to check/verify all toolpath settings before going to CNC Machine!!!)

This is Version 2.0

Supports 11.0 and Up

Install
1. Download the gadget EasyBoxMakerVer2.0.zip that is attached to this post.
2. Rename it from EasyBoxMakerVer2.0.zip to EasyBoxMakerVer2.0.vgadget
3. In Vectric Pro or Aspire click on Gadgets -> Install New Gadget and navigate to where you downloaded the file to, select it and click Ok.

It should give you a pop up saying the gadget was installed and you should see EasyBoxMakerVer2.0 in the Gadgets Menu.

Steps for Use:

1. Setup a new drawing with the proper material size.
2. Run the Easy Box Maker gadget.
Note:***(The user may want to get into a HABIT of doing the next two(2) steps after each first opening the gadget.
3. Click "About Menu" Button.
4. Click "Gadget Reset" Button, Then Answer the Prompt Message.
5. Enter the proper values for the drawer opening, clearances, the materials thickness and sizes for the drawer parts.
6. Click the Project Menu Button, Input where to Save the BOMs/Cut-List Files.
7. Click the Milling Menu Button, Check, Verify, Change if Necessary the values and select the joint type, bottom type.
8. On the Main menu, Select the tooling to use to mill the Box parts.
9. Click the OK button.

Easy Box MakerVer2.0.zip
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 143 times
Rename this Folder to EasyBoxMakerVer2.0.vgadget

Next Up: Possibly Compatibility with Previous Software Versions

Happy Carving Everyone!!! :D

Be sure to provide us with your comments, thoughts, remarks, etc... It is the only way we can know that we are on the right track in providing you the User a Quality Gadget.

Check out the Easy Box Maker Video at youtube.com on the Sharkcutup CNC Channel!!!

Sharkcutup
(Permission Granted by JimAndi5000 of Jim Andi Gadgets)
V-Carve Pro 11.554

AcBCDN
Vectric Apprentice

Post by AcBCDN »

sharkcutup wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:14 pm

Note:**** (Be sure to check/verify all toolpath settings before going to CNC Machine!!!)

This is Version 2.0

Looks good. I did notice something missing (No. Flutes). It wasn't there in V1.5 either. Seems like low impact to getting results.

Thanks for the update.

Andy
Attachments
NO Flutes missing.
NO Flutes missing.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Looks good. I did notice something missing (No. Flutes). It wasn't there in V1.5 either. Seems like low impact to getting results.

Thanks for the update.

Andy
Have you checked any of the other Easy Gadgets? I have and personally I believe that this has been intentionally left out for the user to verify his/her settings before committing to the CNC Machine. Maybe JimAndi5000 of JimAndi Gadgets can chime in to answer that.

And as to your statement in Bold ---- Well, No Comment !

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

AcBCDN
Vectric Apprentice

Post by AcBCDN »

sharkcutup wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:29 am

Thanks for the update.

Andy
Have you checked any of the other Easy Gadgets? I have and personally I believe that this has been intentionally left out for the user to verify his/her settings before committing to the CNC Machine. Maybe JimAndi5000 of JimAndi Gadgets can chime in to answer that.

Sharkcutup
You are correct both the drawer maker and tray maker the same; no flute info. Thanks again...

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

AcBCDN wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:36 am
sharkcutup wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:29 am

Thanks for the update.

Andy

Sharkcutup
You are correct both the drawer maker and tray maker the same; no flute info. Thanks again...
Hi all,
I hope this helps. In the gadget API, the function that creates the Toolpaths, the tool flute count is not one of the data element. At this time, there is no way to pass the flute count so it will always be blank.
Thanks,
Jim

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Hi all,
I hope this helps. In the gadget API, the function that creates the Toolpaths, the tool flute count is not one of the data element. At this time, there is no way to pass the flute count so it will always be blank.
Thought maybe it was something of that nature but was not sure.

Thank You,

Jim
V-Carve Pro 11.554

avp
Model of CNC Machine: Home built 5x8

Post by avp »

Ok, so I cut a set using the blind dog bone option. It seems as though no tool paths were created for the side blind vectors. The end blind toolpaths were cut however.
Bill

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

avp wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:35 pm
Ok, so I cut a set using the blind dog bone option. It seems as though no tool paths were created for the side blind vectors. The end blind toolpaths were cut however.
Bill
Thank You!
I have checked all the way back to Version 1.5 and Yes the Side Blind Toolpath has somehow gotten by unnoticed until now. I will make the necessary Changes and post a New Version Soon.

It is imperative that all data and variables be checked before committing to the CNC Machine. Thank You again for catching/seeing/noting this discrepancy. :)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554